Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Course it does, it's how they prevent piracy on all mediums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Since fate is a cruel mistress I was thinking about getting Orange Box for TF2 to play over the break for my online multiplayer needs. Is it as good as they say?

Yes.

It's just so perfectly balanced. Looking at the trailer from a year ago it's clear they focused on making it balanced, put the commentary on and they go on about 2D design techniques with drawing the players attention to certain areas, and keeping them away from others.
I dunno what else to say really! It's near enough perfect, if only they had an option to turn off the revenge-cam feature. After my 24 hours of play they're getting a bit annoying!

shecky

May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
well i am tottally stuck in EP2; the after running around underneath the mine tunnels with the giant bull antlion chasing you, i got to the bottom of the elevator with the vortigaunt way above telling me to activate the elevator, no matter how much i pull on that handle nothing happens. wtf???

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
well i am tottally stuck in EP2; the after running around underneath the mine tunnels with the giant bull antlion chasing you, i got to the bottom of the elevator with the vortigaunt way above telling me to activate the elevator, no matter how much i pull on that handle nothing happens. wtf???

You might want to google: half life 2 Episode [fill in number] walkthrough

holybatfart

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2007
Johio
Try GameFAQS.com for any walkthroughs, they'll probably have your answer.

1ncr3du10u5

macrumors member
May 16, 2007

I think if I remember rightly you need to find a cog off a bit of machinery nearby that goes into the missing slot of the gear mechanism that drives the mine the vortiwotsit is shouting down at you to activate....

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Yea there's a missing cog somewhere, just pick it up and drop it onto the mechanism.

Anyone else think they're badly designed aliens? What's that middle hand all about, what sort of environment would require that!

1ncr3du10u5

macrumors member
May 16, 2007
Anyone else think they're badly designed aliens? What's that middle hand all about, what sort of environment would require that!

Oh I dunno, evolution does come up with some weird things in real life. I do like the way they've inproved the eyes, they look amazingly alive in episode 2.

How did you get on with Portal? I thought it was amazing. I did wonder if you chose to let yourself be fried at the 'end' instead of trying to escape, what would happen. :)

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
My steam account name is Consultant_1

Add me to friends in TF2 and I'll invite you to some cool servers...

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I'm curious, I never used Steam before.

When you buy a physical box of the game, and you decide to sell it later. are you able to? Or is it locked to your account and you're ****ed?

And if you're not online (say, the AirPort basestation is acting wonky or something and you want to let out steam playing something in-between trying to fix it (yes pun)), you're ****ed too?

mbrellisford

macrumors member
May 29, 2007
Canada
no matter how much i pull on that handle nothing happens. wtf???

When you pull it, look at the machine. There is one of those cog sprocket thingys missing. you can find it on the oposite side of the room. Just pick it up, put it in, and then pull the lever.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
What about the 360 version then ? ;) So maybe not 'all' mediums.

Ah screw the console versions, I'm on about the online and retail versions!

And yes ^, you can simply sell the CD on, but I think you have to deactivate your original games on the account and/or Steam checks for serial numbers and says "oi, this person is playing your game after your last game - so it's not yours anymore! loser!". Or something!

As for Portal. I'm still on Room 18/19 or so. Right now I'm hooked on TF2 and honestly couldn't care for any other games... Not even my own projects! :eek:

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Ah screw the console versions, I'm on about the online and retail versions!

And yes ^, you can simply sell the CD on, but I think you have to deactivate your original games on the account and/or Steam checks for serial numbers and says "oi, this person is playing your game after your last game - so it's not yours anymore! loser!". Or something!

As for Portal. I'm still on Room 18/19 or so. Right now I'm hooked on TF2 and honestly couldn't care for any other games... Not even my own projects! :eek:

So it's always better to buy the game physically, rather than on Steam?

I don't get the point of buying games on Steam... you can get the physical copies cheaper, and you can sell it. :confused:

1ncr3du10u5

macrumors member
May 16, 2007
So it's always better to buy the game physically, rather than on Steam?

I don't get the point of buying games on Steam... you can get the physical copies cheaper, and you can sell it. :confused:

I don't think I'd be able to get Orange Box anywhere cheaper than what I paid for it by digital download and if you sold your physical copy they would still need a log-in and password to play the games. I think it's possible to create a Steam account without buying games, for trying demos etc. but I don't know if that means you would be able to play a 2nd-hand game through that account. I suspect not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.