Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I don't think I'd be able to get Orange Box anywhere cheaper than what I paid for it by digital download and if you sold your physical copy they would still need a log-in and password to play the games. I think it's possible to create a Steam account without buying games, for trying demos etc. but I don't know if that means you would be able to play a 2nd-hand game through that account. I suspect not.

Unfortunately, if you buy a game on Steam, it's actually a "subscription" which cannot be transferred. Not only you cannot resell your subscription, it almost always cost more when stores get their retail copies and sell at a discount.

Orange Box is currently $50 on steam (was $45 on pre-order), and will probably stay at that price for maybe 6 months or longer. But as others found, retail copies can be had for around or even less than $40 after tax.

The benefit is that you get it right away, assuming your connection is fast enough to download multi-GB games in hours instead of days. (Some games can be playable once the basic app and the first levels are downloaded though).

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
I don't think I'd be able to get Orange Box anywhere cheaper than what I paid for it by digital download and if you sold your physical copy they would still need a log-in and password to play the games. I think it's possible to create a Steam account without buying games, for trying demos etc. but I don't know if that means you would be able to play a 2nd-hand game through that account. I suspect not.

Yes. You can create a Steam account for demo purposes.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
So it's always better to buy the game physically, rather than on Steam?

I don't get the point of buying games on Steam... you can get the physical copies cheaper, and you can sell it. :confused:

I go for Steam over physical copies because it means it's always available (unless the Steam servers go byebye, but I imagine there is some kind of remuneration for users in such a case). Say I lose the CD then I'm buggered, of it gets scratched.

Plus it's hellaofalot cheaper, Episode 1 was $19=£10 for me originally. Shops were selling it for £20. As a whole it's a cheaper experience.

And pre-loading means I can play it the second it's released. Which isn't a selling point but a nice thing nonetheless.

It's nice to know that I can be on a different computer anywhere in the world, all I need to do is log into my Steam account and play with my game and stats.

Course you can't sell them later though. Unless they make the game gifting option universal for all Steam games.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I go for Steam over physical copies because it means it's always available (unless the Steam servers go byebye, but I imagine there is some kind of remuneration for users in such a case). Say I lose the CD then I'm buggered, of it gets scratched.

Nope Jimmi. Even if you buy a game like Dark Messiah or HL2 on disc, you still have to install Steam. Once you have done so it registers the game with your steam account, so even if in future you lose your disc you can simply install the game from within Steam.

So your not buggered, not at all ;)

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

Plus it's hellaofalot cheaper, Episode 1 was $19=£10 for me originally. Shops were selling it for £20. As a whole it's a cheaper experience.

And pre-loading means I can play it the second it's released. Which isn't a selling point but a nice thing nonetheless.

It's nice to know that I can be on a different computer anywhere in the world, all I need to do is log into my Steam account and play with my game and stats.

Course you can't sell them later though. Unless they make the game gifting option universal for all Steam games.

Yeah in UK and some other countries it's cheaper to do Steam, in the US it's cheaper to do physical copy once released.

From what I read, if Steam were to go down for good, they said they would deactivate the DRM.

Actually, when I got my retail copy in the mail (3 days from release), it took about 30 seconds to update the TF2 app via steam (both digital and physical version from Valve goes through Steam). I guess most of the files are already pre-installed with the beta. Don't even need to enter registration code. I guess somehow the beta code is linked to the registration code. After install, DVD is not needed anymore.

Brett824

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2007
On my 2.0 ghz Macbook, None of the Orange Box games seem to work for me. TF2 freezes when I get into any server, Portal Freezes whenever I see a portal, Episode 2 won't load. Half Life 2+ Episode 1 are the only things that work for me. Someone help. I've tried using +Mat_forcehardwardsync 0 and that doesn't help, nor does -dxlevel 70 or 81

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
On my 2.0 ghz Macbook, None of the Orange Box games seem to work for me. TF2 freezes when I get into any server, Portal Freezes whenever I see a portal, Episode 2 won't load. Half Life 2+ Episode 1 are the only things that work for me. Someone help. I've tried using +Mat_forcehardwardsync 0 and that doesn't help, nor does -dxlevel 70 or 81

Make sure you have drivers from Bootcamp 1.4. make sure you are not running Vista on MacBook.

Here is a tweaking guide which also have Troubleshooting Tips. Have not tried anything yet, but looks promising.

http://www.tweakguides.com/HL2_1.html

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Without spoiling it, wow the ending bit to Portal is awwwesome. If I knew it was that good I would have completed this on day 1 :D

triddent222

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2007
Somewhere interesting
Such an amazing game! Averaging 45 FPS on Episode 2, Max settings @ 1440x900. Team Fortress 2 (which I suck at... T_T any noob's server ?) 50+ FPS (again, all maxed out @ 1440x900).
Haven't downloaded Portal yet, but it should be done in a 20mins or so.

Btw, *SPOILERS* <!-- The starting bit of Episode 2, is full of freaking zombies ..< Reminds me of Ravenhold, which is not so great ... Once I got the car, it's all better :D.--> *SPOILERS end here*

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
I do recommend the multiplay.co.uk or wireplay.co.uk servers, there are plenty of admins to keep muppets away and the level of skill is varied from n00b to semi-pro. Just get on the good team and you'll be right. Did all my training there!

85.236.101.154:27115 loops between Gravel pit and Hydro :D

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
Beat Episode Two last night. What a great game. The last level was really intense. Definitelt better than Episode One. Now I have to wait another year for Episode Three. :(

1ncr3du10u5

macrumors member
May 16, 2007
Without spoiling it, wow the ending bit to Portal is awwwesome. If I knew it was that good I would have completed this on day 1 :D

I LOVE portal. The extra challenges are good too and very tricky. I expect the Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device will factor in HL2: Ep3 somehow, probably restricted to a level based indoors and that Portal can be considered the best training map(s) ever.

The ending IS good. Youtube has the cool ending ditty. :)

jamesi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2005
Davis CA
i already own half life 2 and im not in the mood to buy it twice. i just bought episode 2 last night and its been pretty good. i play alot of BF 2142 and CS:S so i figured id buy another online game like TF2 was not needed at the moment.

slicedbread

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2006
Two questions re. Orange Box:

1) anyone know if it will run on Windows XP 64? I have a mac pro with 6gb ram, and use win xp64 so I can use all of my ram in windows. However not all games I have tried work on xp64.

2) I'm in the UK, can anyone confirm for me if I can get orange box via steam for $50USD? Exchange rate wise it works out quite well for me if I could!

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

1) anyone know if it will run on Windows XP 64? I have a mac pro with 6gb ram, and use win xp64 so I can use all of my ram in windows. However not all games I have tried work on xp64.

2) I'm in the UK, can anyone confirm for me if I can get orange box via steam for $50USD? Exchange rate wise it works out quite well for me if I could!

1. Just google it. Seems to work.

2. I think the first post mentions £. So it should work in UK. You might want to ask the user whether any special steps are needed.

1ncr3du10u5

macrumors member
May 16, 2007

I can't answer the first as XP is not my area of expertise.

You most certainly can get Orange Box via Steam and the exchange rates make it very favourable, costing about £26 which is amazing value for money. I bought it pre-order a while back and I'm in the UK. :)

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005

You should have read the first page :p it's £26 alright. Best £26 I spent too :D

Hey so I'm loving the Portal side of things. Anyone else get the feeling (in white) that Portal is about to be tied into the main HL2 story? Since Aperture labs are mentioned at the end of Episode 2. Or is nothing more than a fleeting minigame bundled alongside the big game?.

Now hurry up Valve and backport HDR, Bloom and Motion Blur to HL2 :p

1ncr3du10u5

macrumors member
May 16, 2007
You should have read the first page :p it's £26 alright. Best £26 I spent too :D

Hey so I'm loving the Portal side of things. Anyone else get the feeling (in white) that Portal is about to be tied into the main HL2 story? Since Aperture labs are mentioned at the end of Episode 2. Or is nothing more than a fleeting minigame bundled alongside the big game?.

Now hurry up Valve and backport HDR, Bloom and Motion Blur to HL2 :p

With regards to the text in white, I said as much in my post higher up.

I'd like to see Valve do a proper update with the original half life. Though they've mentioned the Black Mesa guys about their work, I fear that that project is going incredibly slowly. :(

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Such an amazing game! Averaging 45 FPS on Episode 2, Max settings @ 1440x900. Team Fortress 2 (which I suck at... T_T any noob's server ?) 50+ FPS (again, all maxed out @ 1440x900).
Haven't downloaded Portal yet, but it should be done in a 20mins or so.

If you sux at TF2, try play as Heavy first, because heavy has more life.

You can also observe games in progress, and see what other plays do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.