Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spoiledbrat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2017
I ordered an iPad Pro 13 today for delivery via UberEats, and to my surprise, the Apple Store somehow packed another iPad Pro 13 along with a Magic Keyboard. It all arrived in an Apple bag. I hesitated to return it to the Uber driver because I doubted if the driver would take it back to the Apple Store. Another reason I didn't mention it to the driver is that I also have Ordered another iPad Pro 13 (which has yet to be shipped) and a Magic Keyboard (Shipped Today), so I mistakenly thought they might have included those in this delivery as well.

My conscience is urging me to return both the iPad Pro and the Keyboard, which I plan to do over the weekend. I just need to drive to the Apple Store to return them. If you were in my shoes, what would you do in this situation?

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
I ordered an iPad Pro 13 today for delivery via UberEats, and to my surprise, the Apple Store somehow packed another iPad Pro 13 along with a Magic Keyboard. It all arrived in an Apple bag. I hesitated to return it to the Uber driver because I doubted if the driver would take it back to the Apple Store. Another reason I didn't mention it to the driver is that I also have Ordered another iPad Pro 13 (which has yet to be shipped) and a Magic Keyboard (Shipped Today), so I mistakenly thought they might have included those in this delivery as well.

My conscience is urging me to return both the iPad Pro and the Keyboard, which I plan to do over the weekend. I just need to drive to the Apple Store to return them. If you were in my shoes, what would you do in this situation?
Nope 100% Legal to keep it. Enjoy it or gift it to someone you love.

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
I’m probably on board with TheRealAlex.

Big corporations do not hesitate to screw over anyone and everyone in any way they can get away with in order to narrow margins and squeeze out a little more profit. The social contract that should inform individuals ethically in their dealings with large corporations has long been obliterated by the actions of the companies themselves as far as I’m concerned. I don’t think you have any moral obligation to return the device to Apple.

If I were you, I think I’d keep it.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
You need to return this. As all things are 'no good deed goes unpunished', don't expect any thank u's. Nevertheless, you can't know how this may affect someone.

My goodness, there should be no question. It's funny though, every time I try to fix a mistake, or even someone else's mistake, it gets me in deep crap LOL

The perfect analogy is the bank error. We all know how that ends.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
I wouldn’t even mention it. Keep them to one side for a while in case Apple come calling to request them back. They are effectively an unsolicited gift at this point.

Apple once sold me a £500 iPhone 4S, but despite me paying with my card in the store the charge never appeared. Free iPhone!

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Angel on one shoulder.....

Yes, keep it and hope that the person who made the mistake can't figure out where they lost it.

Have you even seen: 'It's a Wonderful Life' Mr Potter?

Reactions: dabotsonline

spoiledbrat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2017
You need to return this. As all things are, 'no good deed goes unpunished', don't expect any thank u's. Nevertheless, you can't know how this may affect someone.

My goodness, there should be no question. It's funny though, every time I try to fix a mistake, or even someone else's mistake, it gets me in deep crap LOL

I don't expect any thanks. I understand what you're really saying. I've been in similar situations many times before, like receiving more credit than I was supposed to or earning extra credit card points. It seems like every time I experience something like this, I also encounter some unexpected expenses.

I dont call it Karma, because this is not something I did it on purpose.

chhhrrriiisss

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
Connecticut
I remember when I was a 7 years old, my father found a wallet full of cash and he did the right thing returning at the police station than keeping it even though we lived paycheck to paycheck

I applaud your father for that. I’m not quite sure what I would do if I was in your position. This reminds me of the other day when my DoorDash order was delivered to my neighbors house last week and they kept it. I ended up having to wait an extra hour and talk to support to get my food finally delivered.

Reactions: nxt3 and heretiq

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
you should keep it… they can’t return or accept items brought in without a receipt..

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
I remember when I was a 7 years old, my father found a wallet full of cash and he did the right thing returning at the police station than keeping it even though we lived paycheck to paycheck

Good on your dad, but I don’t think receiving a free $1500 product from Apple is at all analogous to finding a lost wallet.

Glad you’re going with your conscience though.

Reactions: TracerAnalog

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Ok, I've thought about this a some more (as it's pretty disturbing LOL), and besides my stupid 'It's Wonderful Life" analogy (which doesn't apply), I can pretty much guess what will happen.

If you return it, it will 'certainly' bring attention to the error, which at worst, is covered by insurance. Now, assume it's an employees error. Someone loaded the wrong order. Now this employee is all that matters here. Will they get away with the mistake, or will bringing this to the stores attention cause them trouble?

The problem is, you don't know, but can assume you will cause problems returning this. The rub is, you have to.

It's a lose/lose situation. A mistake propagating through the system. You just don't know wtf is going on.

Reactions: zkap

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

If you return the goods without the purchasing bill attached to it, it will cause more trouble than the value of the ipad. They wouldn't know what to do with the sudden gifts.
It would be probably treated as a disposable item and given to someone off-the-book.
It won't help them improve their process to make less errors, either.
So you being a good man may not lead to better result for them.

If you keep the status quo, they would just write it off somewhere in the book-keeping and be done with it.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
If you return the goods without the purchasing bill attached to it, it will cause more trouble than the value of the ipad. They wouldn't know what to do with the sudden gifts.
It would be probably treated as a disposable item and given to someone off-the-book.

If you keep the status quo, they would just write it off somewhere in the book-keeping and be done with it.
Ethics trumps here. You are right, it will be a big headache.

So in other words, you think you got a gift. Think again.

Last edited:
Reactions: artifex

Poldermodel

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2021

I very much doubt this. All the devices have unique IDs and apple knows exactly where everything should be on their end.

This shouldn’t be a hard decision: return it.

And to everyone trying to come up with excuses to keep it: what the f. is wrong with you?

haydesigner

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2013
I’m older, and this is what my moral compass has developed into:
  • If something impacts a person, I go out of my way to make things right
  • If something impacts a corporation, I do what benefits me
Corporations exist SOLELY for profits. They don’t care about me one iota… so I don’t care about them.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
I very much doubt this. All the devices have unique IDs and apple knows exactly where everything should be on their end.

This shouldn’t be a hard decision: return it.

And to everyone trying to come up with excuses to keep it: what the f. is wrong with you?

Oh my, thanks. I got caught up in this, and overlooked the obvious. They know exactly where the trail leads.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
It’s all fine saying keep it etc ….. but what happens when Apple realise the additional device is missing, mark it as stolen, block it, look into it further and see its been activated against your Apple ID, Police get involved etc etc

If you haven’t paid for it then it’s likely to be theft at worst and at best potentially embarrassing for you if the Police knock on your door. (although I didn’t see what country you are from so YMMV).

It’s not an extra Pizza that Uber have delivered, its an expensive TRACEABLE device. :)

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
I’m older, and this is what my moral compass has developed into:
  • If something impacts a person, I go out of my way to make things right
  • If something impacts a corporation, I do what benefits me
Corporations exist SOLELY for profits. They don’t care about me one iota… so I don’t care about them.

Until you get caught with a traceable Apple device ;) …….. then your moral compass might do a bit of a spin :)

Reactions: TracerAnalog
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.