Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ForkHandles

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2012
I ordered an iPad Pro 13 today for delivery via UberEats, and to my surprise, the Apple Store somehow packed another iPad Pro 13 along with a Magic Keyboard. It all arrived in an Apple bag. I hesitated to return it to the Uber driver because I doubted if the driver would take it back to the Apple Store. Another reason I didn't mention it to the driver is that I also have Ordered another iPad Pro 13 (which has yet to be shipped) and a Magic Keyboard (Shipped Today), so I mistakenly thought they might have included those in this delivery as well.

My conscience is urging me to return both the iPad Pro and the Keyboard, which I plan to do over the weekend. I just need to drive to the Apple Store to return them. If you were in my shoes, what would you do in this situation?
Uk Law says that you are the legal owner of Unsolicited goods if they were sent to both your name and address. If not to you at your address then you risk being sued.

However you would need written permission from the sender to sell such items and you could not spend the proceeds within a six year time frame.

Go figure.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
I’ve worked in a big giant retail behemoth I shall not disclose. But I’m going to confirm that it will be a write off for the company. Mistakes happen and when it happens infrequently it’s a loss. Unless the customer says item was a rock inside the box. Or it was never delivered then it gets escalated up to our claims division which will further investigate. I’m not talking about mom and pop shops who don’t even accept returns but a big company like Apple once in a blue moon makes mistakes too. The customer will never be questioned if they keep the item that was mistakenly given to them.
Im not suggesting it will be investigated or even that it wont be written off as a loss but traceable devices are very often flagged as 'lost' by serial number. maybe it wont but does the OP want to take that risk.

Im not turning this into a pi$$ing contest but I work for one of the largest global tech companies (if not the largest depending how you measure) and our retail side 100% balance stock of traceable devices (that we manufacture) with serial numbers for many reasons, loss prevention, devices ending up being sold in the wrong markets (preventing grey imports), warranty validation etc etc. Whether the giant retailers do the same is another matter but this came direct from Apple and not from a giant third party retailer.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
Uk Law says that you are the legal owner of Unsolicited goods if they were sent to both your name and address. If not to you at your address then you risk being sued.

However you would need written permission from the sender to sell such items and you could not spend the proceeds within a six year time frame.

Go figure.
That doesnt stop Apple blocking it or flagging it in some way. Its happened in the UK with mobile phones and you potentially end up keeping a metal and glass doorstop :)

ForkHandles

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2012
That doesnt stop Apple blocking it or flagging it in some way. Its happened in the UK with mobile phones and you potentially end up keeping a metal and glass doorstop :)
I can’t answer to that except that if it is legally yours, to the point where it would be unlawful for Apple to ask for it back, then that course of action might seem like an overreach.

I guess that if, in the senders eyes the stock was simply lost and not wrongly delivered, that would be a permissible course of action.

Pontificating now, if the new owner wrote to the sender, that may limit the options to disable the device.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
So you can trick UberEats to deliver Apple Products, because "Apple" is a food?

I might have to try ordering a fully loaded Mac Pro and see if I get an other Mac Pro with a Pro XDR for free included if I order through UberEats.

• Haha
Reactions: ukms

Skoua

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2011
Paris
I think your self esteem is worth more than an iPad.
Return it, you'll feel better about having done that than playing with the iPad.

Reactions: jazz1 and ukms

oldtime

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
So you can trick UberEats to deliver Apple Products, because "Apple" is a food?

I might have to try ordering a fully loaded Mac Pro and see if I get an other Mac Pro with a Pro XDR for free included if I order through UberEats.
UberEats delivers basically anything at this point. At some point there will likely be a name change to make that more clear.

I drive for them to make side cash. My little apple story: I once delivered 15 devices (5x phone, ipad, and macbook) to the biggest house you have ever seen in your life. Picking them up was a pain in the ass and so was dropping them off. Dude has me drive down a little dirt road behind his house to where the back of his yard is because these are gifts for his kids and he doesn't want me at the front door in case one of them sees what I'm handing over. I have to photo and scan every device in the app before handing them over. Takes forever because the app is janky. Finally get it done and he thanks me profusely. With UE you don't see the tip until a couple hours later. App notification: $1.37 tip. Bruh. I hate rich folks, man. Dude lives 40 mins from the Apple Store and had special requests and tipped what seems like an intentionally insulting amount. The working class dudes mowing their lawns in mid-summer that order food tip better than the people living in the ten million dollar mansions. Rant over.

spoiledbrat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2017
I called the store manager, and he didn't mention sending someone or a courier to pick it up. All he asked was, "Are you going to be around?" (Which is weird) so I said, "Ok, I will come drop it off." I plan to return it today. Although it was tempting to keep the iPad based on some of the responses, I never intended to keep it. I wanted to do the right thing and set a good example for my kid.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I called the store manager, and he didn't mention sending someone or a courier to pick it up. All he asked was, "Are you going to be around?" (Which is weird) so I said, "Ok, I will come drop it off." I plan to return it today. Although it was tempting to keep the iPad based on some of the responses, I never intended to keep it. I wanted to do the right thing and set a good example for my kid.

Good move, good lesson for your kid.

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2021
I'm on team Don't Keep It, but WTF? You should have told the guy, "look, if you want this thing, send someone to pick it up." You shouldn't have to transport it back to the Apple Store.

Reactions: Rafterman

oldtime

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
I'm on team Don't Keep It, but WTF? You should have told the guy, "look, if you want this thing, send someone to pick it up." You shouldn't have to transport it back to the Apple Store.
Was about to say the same. "I'll shlep it back if you throw me a gift card or something, otherwise send someone over at time X."

Reactions: macphoto861

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010

Agree. Their mistake, return it, but they need to do the work, not you, they are the ones that f'd up.

Reactions: macphoto861

aurora_sect

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2022
Have to agree that while it is absolutely more ethical to return, I'd probably insist that they come get it themselves. But you are kind to return it yourself, nothing wrong with that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.