Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Simacca

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
UK, South East.
I ordered an iPad Pro 13 today for delivery via UberEats, and to my surprise, the Apple Store somehow packed another iPad Pro 13 along with a Magic Keyboard. It all arrived in an Apple bag. I hesitated to return it to the Uber driver because I doubted if the driver would take it back to the Apple Store. Another reason I didn't mention it to the driver is that I also have Ordered another iPad Pro 13 (which has yet to be shipped) and a Magic Keyboard (Shipped Today), so I mistakenly thought they might have included those in this delivery as well.

My conscience is urging me to return both the iPad Pro and the Keyboard, which I plan to do over the weekend. I just need to drive to the Apple Store to return them. If you were in my shoes, what would you do in this situation?

I would keep them. They make enough money as it is.

seabee3

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
I am in the "return it" camp. I've had this happen before with a smartphone and tried to return it and was told they couldn't return it or even take it without a receipt so they told me to keep it. I tried with corporate and it was the same.

They may not be able to take it back but if they do, I would get some proof that you did return it in case their inventory protection systems later trace it to you and try to get you to return it then or charge you for it.

"Worst" case, you return something that was never yours anyway and you feel better for it. "Best" case, they give it back to you and you get to keep it and know you did the right thing!

spoiledbrat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2017
Let's clarify this:

The thing was delivered to you without your awareness.
You are not obliged to return it. It's Apple, the error maker, to retrieve it from you, with proper paperwork at your house.
So if you think you are kind and generous enough to deliver it back to an Apple Store, I would suggest you do it properly and bring all the boxes, wrapping and deliver bill. This will help Apple track their issues and improve in the future.
And to be sure that what you do will benefit all relevant parties, at the cost of your time and effort, you should require proper paperwork for your return. i.e. at least a receipt should be issued to record their acceptance of the return.

The below is an example where I live. Not relevant to Apple, just common paperwork, even if you are kind and generous. It's to protect yourself.

I received a chunk of money transferred to my bank account.
I then later received a phone call, the caller identify himself as the sender of the money and asked me to transfer back the money.
In this case, if I took it for granted and use the money, I would face criminal charge.
But if I was too eager to do good and wire back the money without any verification and proper paperwork, that transfer would be still counted on my own responsibility as well. Some others even were scam when the money was deemed as a debt, with enormous interest rate.

So in my case, I left the money untouched, just informed the bank about the money and waited for their instruction. I requested the whole legal paperwork (exclamation, explanation etc.) from the sender, with the bank verification before allowing the bank to correct the transaction. I did not make the transfer slip as if I wired the money back at my own will.

In this modern world, being good and doing good are simply not enough. You need to do it properly as well.

If you are indifferent and lazy like I am, then I would suggest you just call the police and report about a wrong delivery, with purpose unknown. Make it an official police report and leave the package untouched. That's all the law require a law-biding citizen to do.
Good point but I have saved my security camera recordings which clearly shows that bag that handed over to me had more than one ipad

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Keep in mind as soon as the stock room does a cycle count of the iPads, they will know one is missing. Since all the items are scanned as they go into the bags they will also know who what and where. Return it, it the right thing to do. When you get to the store speak to the “on point lead in the front”. Ask to see the manager or floor lead, they will take it from there.

Reactions: Timpetus

bk125

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2018
New York
I am tempted to keep it, but I am going to listen to my 10 year old kid. This is what he said, "Just return it dad, who knows Apple might give you a gift card for being honest" :D
I think this may be a parenting question rather than an iPad question now. Your son sounds like a centered and honest person. People pay like $40,000 a year to send their kids to private school because it's "what's best for them" and they can still come out as venal POS's. You get to model this for the cost of a few peripherals. I remember the specific moments when my dad responded to murky situations with an honesty that was unexpected, and it's absolutely influenced my behavior as an adult.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
That's amateur way of handling things.

Which Apple Store are you talking about? Are you sure that the item was sent from that specific Apple store? How do you return the item?

I prefer to let the police do their job.
The Apple Store that Uber Eats collected it from (in relation to this thread)

Reactions: sparksd

spoiledbrat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2017
Keep in mind as soon as the stock room does a cycle count of the iPads, they will know one is missing. Since all the items are scanned as they go into the bags they will also know who what and where. Return it, it the right thing to do. When you get to the store speak to the “on point lead in the front”. Ask to see the manager or floor lead, they will take it from there.
I was thinking exactly the same. I work as IT business analyst and warehouses do their checks and balances every month. One way or other, they will know this is missing. Even when they receive the products to their inventory it records the serial number into their system.
The Apple Store that Uber Eats collected it from (in relation to this thread)
Yes it was from Apple Store in Santa Clara, C

HarryMudd

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2021
I’ve had something like this happen twice, once Amazon sent me 10 of the items of which I had ordered only 1. And once when OXO sent me a case of lids instead of just one. In both cases I called and informed them of the error, and in both cases I was told to keep it.

And for you, at this point, I think you would be setting a terrible example for your son if you didn’t try to return it. IMHO.

tonywalker23

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2003
SC
Since when does Uber Eats deliver non food related items? HA. LOL
I was in BestBuy a few months ago, caught my attention because a lady was pushing a buggy around with a little dog sitting in it (not common in my area). A girl walked up and they were looking at an Amazon Fire stick display. Some kind of conversation like "I guess this is what they want, maybe it's this, what's the diff between firestick HD and firesitck ABC (or whatever Amazon calls them)." Then it was like they just grabbed one and threw it in the buggy and said something about the order they were fulfilling.

Then I realized they were shopping for an Uber order. I thought, when did people start buying a buggy of stuff from best buy through food drivers. Maybe they had a big uber gift card and were using it on electronics ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

nxt3

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2023
I’m older, and this is what my moral compass has developed into:
  • If something impacts a person, I go out of my way to make things right
  • If something impacts a corporation, I do what benefits me
Corporations exist SOLELY for profits. They don’t care about me one iota… so I don’t care about them.
This is the answer. Corporations don't care about you--they aren't going to reward you for doing the right thing.

Sell the iPad, gift it to a loved one, or simply enjoy your BOGO iPad :)

Like you implied earlier OP, if you found this iPad at an airport or something, you'd do the right thing and send it to the lost and found or whatever.

Reactions: hovscorpion12

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I don't know if it's legal or not, but...dude. Come on, stealing is weak. And that's what it is.

A year ago, I bought a Surface Pro 9 fro the MS Store. And they never charged me for it. A few weeks went by, nothing. So I contacted them, because...stealing. They told me "don't worry about it." Which kind of shocked me, it was a maxed out one, $2500. So, a free Surface and a clean conscience.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
I had this same issue with the Vision Pro when it first came out. I ended up returning it to them the same day they reached out to me. It seems like the occasionally do stock checks.

nxt3

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2023
Something I just realized: I would imagine Apple keeps track of the devices they sell and to who. Is it possible the extra you got gets flagged as "stolen" in the future? Maybe returning it is the best answer because the implications of having your iCloud account tagged as having a stolen device could be bad idk.

Reactions: esc2476

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Something I just realized: I would imagine Apple keeps track of the devices they sell and to who. Is it possible the extra you got gets flagged as "stolen" in the future? Maybe returning it is the best answer because the implications of having your iCloud account tagged as having a stolen device could be bad idk.
I know the display models 100% are monitored and flagged.

I don't know about non-store display models.

Natya Sadella

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2016
They know the IMEI and serial numbers of the devices they have in store. Once/twice a year they do an inventory check and they will know that one iPad is missing. Then they look up the numbers And lock The device if they can’t find it via GPS

DonkeyWonkey

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2023
If it was from an individual person or a small independent store I'd say return it 100%.

It's from one of the richest companies in the world who are happy to continually rip people off and will do so long as we keep buying their (admittedly wonderful) products. Absolutely keep it.

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011
It would be great to hear how this turns out...

e09b6e67-e890-4746-9111-0f4c2de77dec-e3b8c943-d6b3-445c-b92b-a1b84c8660d0-v1.png

randomthoughts

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2020
That's amateur way of handling things.

Which Apple Store are you talking about? Are you sure that the item was sent from that specific Apple store? How do you return the item?

I prefer to let the police do their job.
A return doesn’t need to go to a specific Apple Store and if it is from Uber Eats, it’s pretty clear which store it came from because you select the store you are ordering from.

And every hypothetical you are sharing is flawed because a wallet on a sidewalk or a bag of drugs showing up is not like an order placed with an Apple Store.

The right thing to do is not a hard thing to do. You can give a million excuses not to do something. You only need one to do the right thing.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
A return doesn’t need to go to a specific Apple Store and if it is from Uber Eats, it’s pretty clear which store it came from because you select the store you are ordering from.

And every hypothetical you are sharing is flawed because a wallet on a sidewalk or a bag of drugs showing up is not like an order placed with an Apple Store.

The right thing to do is not a hard thing to do. You can give a million excuses not to do something. You only need one to do the right thing.

It's really hard to discuss when people don't understand you.
I never told OP to return it or not return it. I just simply explained the outcome in each situation so he can make his choice.
Return or not return, it's up to your intention.
Simply to make you feel better? Go ahead. I would say it's just shallow thoughts.
If I decided to return things, then I would have to go through the details of having them take it seriously and record everything back, with the intention to improve their own process or selling and deliver thing. To me, that purpose is more value than the price of the iPad itself.
If I am indifferent, why bother doing things not belong to my responsibilities? Call the cop and let them handle it.
I read somewhere in a novel the term: "Morality kidnapping", which describes exactly the opinions of those favoring "return".
Why do I have to feel obliged to correct things that's not my fault, nor my responsibility? To feel noble? To be proud of that?
And I'm glad that OP decided to call the Apple Store before acting. Its' the same as calling the police. Or contacting Lost and Found office at train station or Airport.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
This is now war & peace :)

Regardless of the moral or legal rights and wrongs, the OP makes his/her own mind up, but the amusing part of this is that so many posters saying 'keep it' ignore the obvious that at some point Apple will know its missing from stock and as has been pointed out many times you run a big risk of it being flagged as missing and blocked and you also run the risk of the Apple ID associated with it as being blocked.......... do you really want that hassle ?

JamieLannister

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2016
This is now war & peace :)

Regardless of the moral or legal rights and wrongs, the OP makes his/her own mind up, but the amusing part of this is that so many posters saying 'keep it' ignore the obvious that at some point Apple will know its missing from stock and as has been pointed out many times you run a big risk of it being flagged as missing and blocked and you also run the risk of the Apple ID associated with it as being blocked.......... do you really want that hassle ?
I’ve worked in a big giant retail behemoth I shall not disclose. But I’m going to confirm that it will be a write off for the company. Mistakes happen and when it happens infrequently it’s a loss. Unless the customer says item was a rock inside the box. Or it was never delivered then it gets escalated up to our claims division which will further investigate. I’m not talking about mom and pop shops who don’t even accept returns but a big company like Apple once in a blue moon makes mistakes too. The customer will never be questioned if they keep the item that was mistakenly given to them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.