Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
… a Sync app for device management would be the most intuitive and streamlined …

I understand the wish, but I suspect that Apple wishes to diminish the need for customers to think about management of storage, of synchronisation of devices. I have no idea whether this year's WWDC will go into that.

Reactions: boston04and07

Oliverhay

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Please Apple, pretty, pretty please, give me the option to scale the system font. I'd really love to use my 4K TV as a monitor and be able to actually see the menu/system bar text.
For the most part, apple handles external displays well but you are right.
I still have to enable the old school control-scroll display zoom feature whenever i'm doing something like that. On a side, it would be nice if that was scaled HD???? Been a while.
[doublepost=1465281564][/doublepost]
How about a new UI and some nice animation when opening windows? Microsoft changes the UI on every release, but apple has basically stuck with "Aqua" since 1999. I know Yosemite changed it, but not really... The system preferences app is old, and some apps are just not user friendly.
But system preferences is So good, especially for people new to the mac. Perhaps IOS style control centre stuff could be added to unify the experience? Possibly the appearance and desktop sections need some attention. No one uses screen savers these days and can be tidied up.

Reactions: wrldwzrd89

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
<snip>
But system preferences is So good, especially for people new to the mac. Perhaps IOS style control centre stuff could be added to unify the experience? Possibly the appearance and desktop sections need some attention. No one uses screen savers these days and can be tidied up.
I use the screen saver for the sole purpose of simulating "locking" the Mac's screen. There has GOT to be a better way to handle this use case, Apple - make both of our wishes come true! Also, while I'm at it... regarding System Preferences, I think Apple's more likely to have success making iOS-style Settings the default way to configure stuff. Remember, the iOS user base is at least 100 times bigger than the Mac user base.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Comprehensive wishlist here, calls for jump to 11.0 and MacOS name:

This list pretty much sums up everything I've been hoping for myself. Love the inclusion of a Phone app with access to voicemails and syncing of notifications - those are things I've been wanting for a very long time that I very rarely see listed on peoples' wish lists. A while back, I want to say probably around the time El Capitan was first released, there was a really early rumor about voicemails being stored in/accessible via iCloud with Siri translation, but I haven't heard anything about that since. Hope that's coming at some point because it'd make phone calls on my Mac and iPad fully useful. I get a ton of spam calls and am not quite at the point where I can leave my phone in my bag, since I need to screen a lot of voicemails.

There's only one thing I would add to this super comprehensive list, and that is that I'd like to see Messages get the iCloud for iBooks treatment and actually sync things like message histories and message deletions in the cloud. Personally I like to keep my threads and it's annoying that the entire histories aren't synced. I recently had an issue where I couldn't restore my Messages database from a Time Machine backup and the Mac app wouldn't recognize the database imported from my iPhone, and I'd much rather keep the entire histories on my Mac than on the little storage space my iPhone has.

buckwheet

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2014
This is optional, you can turn on scrollbar always in the Sys Prefs > General > Show Scroll bars.

Ha! You know, I just saw that last night... And when I think about it, I'm sure I remember noticing that when they first gave the option. I think I just forgot at some stage, and left it set to the default. Funny...

Oliverhay

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I use the screen saver for the sole purpose of simulating "locking" the Mac's screen. There has GOT to be a better way to handle this use case, Apple - make both of our wishes come true! Also, while I'm at it... regarding System Preferences, I think Apple's more likely to have success making iOS-style Settings the default way to configure stuff. Remember, the iOS user base is at least 100 times bigger than the Mac user base.

Oh you reminded me... I have the padlock in my menubar from keychain --> prefs, show keychain in toolbar specifically so I can lock my mac. In the past I used a hot corner with a black screen saver, I think your method. But anyway, a nice shortcut key would be nice!!!

Reactions: ignatius345

MarkRoss

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2016
Puyallup, Washington
I'd like to see a couple of things at the roll-out.

(1) Siri
This looks like it may be happening this time. Might be just a toy for most of us, but a fun toy at least.

(2) A modern file system, hopefully based on some of the ZFS tech that was trumpeted so loudly a few years ago. Apple could score a lot of points if they could pull this off. A dependable, virtually future-proof file system would make a lot of geeks really happy and might even save someone's data. Nobody really needs to understand it. Hell, very few understand the file system they're using now. It just needs to work . . . first time and every time. Of course, Microsoft will steal it and claim it as their own, but that's ok. Their customers have needs, too.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Here's a highly subjective list :)

- Improvements to the Dashboard. It's still got vastly more real estate than the little Notifications strip, and provides a lot more user flexibility as to placement and size of widgets -- and set to Overlay mode, it doesn't disrupt one's workflow. Allow iOS apps to run alongside (or instead of) the old Dashboard widgets that (kind of) exist now. Reclaim the Dashboard F4 button from the lame Launchpad -- there are so many better ways to launch apps.

- Improvements to Dictation, like ability to manually train specific words and phrases. Also it needs to stop randomly putting periods into the middle of sentences.

- F.lux-like screen temperature control for night-time use. F.lux is great, but at this point, this deserves official support. I would also love to see the finer-grained white-balance control that the new iPad Pro has, where it tries to match ambient color conditions.

- Allow Photos to hand images off to Photoshop and other external apps for more advanced editing.

- Also in Photos, more granular handling of RAW files -- right now if you just do a straight import from a dSLR shooting JPEG+RAW, Photos imports everything, which eats up storage space like crazy. I guess this depends on the user, but I find that for most uses a JPEG alone is just fine, and I only occasionally want to retain the RAW file. Because it's all or nothing, I have to import JPEGs manually, and then bring in RAW files on a selective basis.
[doublepost=1465593878][/doublepost]
I used to use Dashboard, but there aren't many widgets anymore and lots of the links on Apple's website are dead. Why keep it if it's dead?

I think what people are saying is: fix it, don't kill it. It's got a hell of a lot more utility and space than that lame "notification center" strip.

Reactions: T909

Uni Grad

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2015
Bloomberg News
Apple should for a year, in between successive releases, not release an operating system with minor new features. However, should, instead, offer a bug-free version. Being simple is key, having too many features is a waste, if they aren't all fleshed out.

Reactions: T909

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Focus mode (blurs and/or dims space around foremost app)

There used to be a wonderful 3rd-party app called Isolator that did just this (and gave you lots of blurring/filtering options for the background, to boot), but it stopped working a couple years ago. I still miss it!

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
Focus mode (blurs and/or dims space around foremost app)

There used to be a wonderful 3rd-party app called Isolator that did just this (and gave you lots of blurring/filtering options for the background, to boot), but it stopped working a couple years ago. I still miss it!

I always thought this would be a good idea but was unaware of any app which could achieve this. I looked up Isolator for mac and found a list of potential alternative apps for achieving this.

I haven't had a chance to look at them or try them out but it looks like there are some options to achieve this using an app.

Here is the list:
http://alternativeto.net/software/isolator/?platform=mac

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Tiny wishlist

1) On a fresh OS X install it would be great if a hotkey was already set for the NotificationCenter - there's a long travel up to the corner of the display. I have made it a habit to enter Option+Spacebar as a NotificationCenter hotkey.

Apple could easily throw in a comment in their OS X presentation about that if it were to be implemented. Although I can see that the hotkey is a poor choice now that I look down on the keyboard. Even I fatfingers the keyboard on that hotkey vs. the Spotlight one. Time to regroup. F5 or F6 is a safer bet.

2) I've also recently learned of an Automator service that can quickly allow for a lock screen to appear. Would also be a good addition I think.

3) The Finder copy progress does a poor job of explaining - a request for an expanded view of sorts(though not as detailed as the Explorer on Windows 10) just an indicator to slide down and reveal more. Perhaps what I would like is a queue for the Finder copy and move progress.

4) Better Maps application for us in the scandinavian countries - I'd like to have better transport overview - like bus transport times and what not. If the info already there I have a hard time getting to it.

5) I'd also like to have Apple split up their iTunes categories into various other applications. Especially a seperate Internet Radio(it's hell going through that section) and Podcasts app. Movies and such does not quite fit the name iTunes - a name change at this point doesn't do us any good because the same requests will probably still occur. It has also become a quite massive program in terms of storage occupation. They could include iBooks app into iTunes too and FontBook app also - yeah why not. The Dictionary app too now that I think about it.

pancakesrockyvalley

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2015
Reykjavik
i would like them to open up Apple maps somehow. It would benefit both Apple and the users if they would start a point system, in it you would get points for every approved edit that you make in Apple match.
Then you could exchange your points for App store/ itunes credit.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
A sane media browser in dialogues please.
Screenshot_12_06_2016__13_00.png

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I think I saw that on 9to5mac, I would like the System Preferences to change into Settings and take the design from iOS. Every time I open System Preferences it takes me 30 seconds of helpless staring at the icons to work out what I want to click.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.