Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
I understand that, however I feel (and others do as well) that having Siri on a computer is a wasted feature taking up space/resources. Granted it prob won't be a lot of space, but I would never want to talk to my computer. Now if it gets hard-coded to the OS (as I'm sure it will) having the option to disable it is fine.

Using Siri on an iPhone is alright (at best) but having it on OS X is plain stupid in my opinion. I mainly use my MBP for music as well as browsing and whatnot. I don't need something else on my MBP I won't ever use (like Maps/iBooks) having Maps on my Mac is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. Why have that when using Google is just as fast? I've never even opened that app. I'll prob delete it after the next update.

I'd actually like to have Siri on my Mac. It's more of a convenience thing, same as why I like Apple Maps on my Mac, not ideal to use, but since I already use it so much on my devices, it's just convenient to have.

Reactions: boston04and07

soupcan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2014
Netherlands
Can we please please please get an option to put folders in file structures on above all the other random files in the Finder like in Windows? Navigating with the keyboard to folders is a breeze on Windows but a pain in the rear end on OS X.

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
Alternatively release OS X Pro which has no pointless "200 new features" and is optimized to be as reliable and fast as possible. I would pay 50€ for a modern day version of Snow Leopard. Unfortunately El Capitan isn't as great as I was hoping...

Agree. 10.12's design mantra should be to be as good as Windows 10 and work as efficiently on lesser hardware. Lean, mean, and bloat free. It starts with the Windowing system, not the layered apps.

azpc

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2011

bidwellian

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2010
Bring back labels. I liked the way older OS's could have a "highlighter" applied to various things in the folders. I use Xtra finder now but would be nice to have it there by default again. No reason why we can't have labels AND tags?

and please remove that cheezy grin on the finder icon

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
Drag split screen window to edge of screen to discard - Similar to ipad split screen.

For example I have Safari and Mail in split screen and I no longer want the Mail window so I just drag (resize) it to the edge of the screen and the window moves to the desktop space (or its own space).... and I continue viewing Safari uninterrupted.

I would also like to be able to assign custom names (and keyboard shortcuts) to desktop spaces and for mission control to always show names of windows (or app icon) without needing to mouse over.

These are not priorities on my wishlist... but I thought it might be a nice refinement to split screen.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
and please remove that cheezy grin on the finder icon
Quick job, don't judge me.

Untitled-1.png

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

alchemistTi

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2014
One request: Touchscreen Support.

Steve (in)famously viewed reaching out to touch your laptop screen as silly and awkward, but he was wrong. My Surface devices leave me very eager to be able to reach out and touch my Mac in the same way. And no, iOS isn't a substitute for me. It may be for some of you, but not for me.

slimnickyy

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2014
London
My wish is in regard to the name. If it’s going to be called MacOS, then Apple should move on from OS X (as we all know the “X” is meant to be 10) and call it MacOS 11. I mean iOS changes a whole point every year; it’s high time Mac OS moves up a true notch. It’s not the same OS it was when first christened OS X. Plus, MacOS 10.12 just seems odd and isn’t the same complete fresh take as MacOS 11 is.

slimnickyy

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2014
London
I'd just expect MacOS without a number. Double digits sound silly to me. MacOS 17 is going to be ridiculous. MacOS Azealia Banks maybe.

I could live with that. To me, the thing that defines the OS X look is the dock. If and when MacOS becomes a reality I hope it has some new distinguishing UI feature, which isn’t just Siri. I suppose the true full OS dark mode is such a feature, but to me it’s too dark when all the windows are painted, maybe a lighter “Space Grey” as an option at least. Though I’d like something more to set the bar higher and make clear to anyone booting “this is not OS X, it’s MacOS"

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Just 2 things….
I'd like it to be free from major bugs from day one . Early adopters shouldn't be beta testers , there's beta testers for that .
How about giving folks the choice between the current flat UI and the previous (10.5-10.9 ) UI . (Won't happen but I can dream)

Ecofritze

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2016
Germany
I would love to add (multiple) labels to the mails I send to archive inside Mail.app. This would be an even better approach than creating subfolders inside archives (which, by the way, is a mess in my opinion). The search inside Mail.app already allows several labels / tags (from, to, date, …), so user defined labels are just the next logical step, aren’t they?

And a native package management software. I know OS X has one: the App Store. But what I mean is a command line interface for the App Store for open source apps, just like apt in the debian and ubuntu world. I have homebrew installed and use it quite often. It is good, but I would like everything to come from one hand. Apple could use this for the upcoming swift package manager as well.

One thing I find pretty practical about windows 10: the feedback app. Whenever I would like to give Apple some feedback or feature requests, I have to go to their website. The result is tons of mails with the almost same content for Apple. Why don't they have such a feedback app, where users can see which features other users want and discuss how it could be implemented, or see which bugs occurred to other users. A simple "like" on one of these pages shows the urgency as well.

Although being said: a system wide dark mode and a new naming scheme (macOS) would be nice.
[doublepost=1461448513][/doublepost]

I would be even more thrilled to be able to run iPad or iPhone apps on my Mac (without a simulator / emulator in between)!

Another thing which would be great: Mail.app and Messages.app should organize their threads more by person, not by subject / mail address or phone number / mail address. When I write to John Appleseed's first mail address, but he has his iDevice configured to respond via his phone number, sometimes a new thread will appear in Messages.app and sometimes it won't. All of them should be collected to a single "John Appleseed" thread. And if I have to distinguish to which particular address I would like to send the next message to and by which type (SMS or iMessage), I would like to do so inside the thread's "Details".

Last edited:
Reactions: boston04and07

Ecofritze

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2016
Germany
I assume you don't use betas, as I have an app called Feedback Assistant installed.

Actually I don't. On iOS I do, but not on OS X. Can you see, for example, what feature requests other users sent to Apple?

Another thing: I'd like to choose by which app the quick view for a file is produced. OS X has no built in markdown preview, and in my opinion Apple doesn't have to add it. They should just enable an App Store app to do that.
[doublepost=1461486445][/doublepost]Furthermore I'd like to have a more extended command line interface to all of the pre installed apps. I use Linux as well and I don't get used to Apple Script. A simple bash script is way more convenient to me. And that way, for example, I'd like to tell Preview.app to extract a specific page from a pdf or resize an image, or a bunch of them from within the script.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I checked and it looks like one-way communication. Possibly I could look at Apple forums and see others' feature requests but I don't know that for sure. Also there's no guarantee people who post there actually used Feedback Assistant at all.

I haven't used it because other than one time when Safari crashed my Air and I still don't know what exactly I did (so feedback would be rather useless) the betas have been surprisingly stable for me. I don't have anything else to report than "Apple Music is still a mess" but I'm sure they know THAT.

insomniac86

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2015
Perth, Western Australia
My macOS feature request list (in random order)
-Siri
-Proactive (further evolved to be more like google cards)
-dark mode across more UI elements
-finder: change green window button behaviour, old behaviour and full window (like Windows)
-finder: folders on top sort option
-transfer calls from phone to macOS (currently only the other way around)
-separate iTunes features, audiobooks, Apple Music etc
-silently auto map network drive (without opening finder window)
-unlock and login with Apple Watch
-Touch ID via new trackpad and Magic Mouse
-global notifications synced across all devices
-finder: get info shows total size of multiple selected folders
-pinch to zoom file/folder icon size in finder
-vastly improved SMB performance
-iCloud backup time machine
-iCloud Drive: select folders to sync offline.
-health app
-finder: right click new document
-power options like caffeine built in
-previous versions for iCloud Drive
-safari PIP
-Window preview functionality similar to HyperDock or Windows 7-10.

azpc

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2011
My macOS feature request list (in random order)
-Siri
-Proactive (further evolved to be more like google cards)
-dark mode across more UI elements
-finder: change green window button behaviour, old behaviour and full window (like Windows)
-finder: folders on top sort option
-transfer calls from phone to macOS (currently only the other way around)
-separate iTunes features, audiobooks, Apple Music etc
-silently auto map network drive (without opening finder window)
-unlock and login with Apple Watch
-Touch ID via new trackpad and Magic Mouse
-global notifications synced across all devices
-finder: get info shows total size of multiple selected folders
-pinch to zoom file/folder icon size in finder
-vastly improved SMB performance
-iCloud backup time machine
-iCloud Drive: select folders to sync offline.
-health app
-finder: right click new document
-power options like caffeine built in
-previous versions for iCloud Drive
-safari PIP
-Window preview functionality similar to HyperDock or Windows 7-10.

Some great ideas!

If you don't mind, I am going to repost your ideas on a thread I started about a month ago.

I am reposting your ideas here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-would-you-improve-osx.1961714/

Reactions: insomniac86

T909

Suspended
Aug 16, 2008
Europe
I've posted on this thread before, so I'm sorry for posting again, but I'd like to have the following new features:

Run at least on MacBook pro 2009 (if they decide to drop support for older devices like iOS 10 is rumored)

- Siri
- Additional language supports, like Latvian,Lithuanian,Estonian (the entire OS in new languages)
- Built in HyperDock by Apple
- Customisation (Different colour themes and 3D dock from Leopard)
- iWeb back (but a better version)
- Built in Photoshop like app
- Cut feature (instead of Copy paste and then you have to delete it, you could just cut your files to different harddrives)
- Beautiful Wallpapers like Leopard and Lion had (because now I'm disappointed with these wallpapers)
- iTunes could be just renamed "Music" or so and a new and a better app of iTunes then that loads faster and ability to control iTunes from Notification Center apps without iTunes being opened
- Smooth and great OS like Snow Leopard was on older MacBooks
- I still do not understand why FrontRow was removed from the OS X

I don't think Apple should release an OS every year. I would rather pay for it and see the next OS in 2018 or so… Like Tiger and Leopard had a cap.

A name change would be nice as well, but if it was up to me to decide then OS X 10.10 would've been the last OS X and it could've ran even older hardware (because it's possible). Even Windows 10 runs on Macbook (2008,early) very smoothly. Just to end the era. Like PowerPCs had their last version 10.5. Sounds a lot better than 10.4 being the last version on PowerPCs.

Last edited:

azpc

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2011
I've posted on this thread before, so I'm sorry for posting again, but I'd like to have the following new features:

Run at least on MacBook pro 2009 (if they decide to drop support for older devices like iOS 10 is rumored)

- Siri
- Additional language supports, like Latvian,Lithuanian,Estonian (the entire OS in new languages)
- Customisation (Different colour themes and 3D dock from Leopard)
- iWeb back (but a better version)
- Built in Photoshop like app
- Cut feature (instead of Copy paste and then you have to delete it, you could just cut your files to different harddrives)
- Beautiful Wallpapers like Leopard and Lion had (because now I'm disappointed with these wallpapers)
- iTunes could be just renamed "Music" or so and a new and a better app of iTunes then that loads faster and ability to control iTunes from Notification Center apps without iTunes being opened
- Smooth and great OS like Snow Leopard was on older MacBooks
- I still do not understand why FrontRow was removed from the OS X

I don't think Apple should release an OS every year. I would rather pay for it and see the next OS in 2018 or so… Like Tiger and Leopard had a cap.

A name change would be nice as well, but if it was up to me to decide then OS X 10.10 would've been the last OS X and it could've ran even older hardware (because it's possible). Even Windows 10 runs on Macbook (2008,early) very smoothly. Just to end the era. Like PowerPCs had their last version 10.5. Sounds a lot better than 10.4 being the last version on PowerPCs.

Nice list - Agree specifically with:

- Cut feature (instead of Copy paste and then you have to delete it, you could just cut your files to different hard drives)

Reactions: T909
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.