Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
- Get rid of iTunes and create Music.app, Videos.app, Podcasts.app and include audiobooks and books inside a Books.app. Create a different app to to sync iOS devices with computer.

- Siri
- PIP
- Separate apps for music, podcasts etc. kill off iTunes
- complications in the menu bar (activity, weather etc.)
- a way to browse the tvOS store and remotely install/update apps.
- Access to the Health app data.

Yes to all of these! Especially the stuff about iTunes. I am sick to death of iTunes and much, much prefer the way iOS handles media organization. Having my movies behind the app with the music icon just makes no sense to me. iTunes has become bloated enough as it is, I'd love for it to be broken down in individual apps that make more sense. And as for audiobooks being in iBooks on iOS and iTunes on OS X...that also doesn't make sense and for a ridiculously long time I thought my Mac's iBooks app had a bug that prevented my audiobooks from displaying. Duh. Hopefully this is something they're actively working on.

But anyway, my list...

• Breaking up iTunes into individualized apps (Music, Videos, Podcasts)
  • Siri (I know it's been reported as coming...)
  • News app
  • Individual phone app with access to voicemail (This goes for the iPad too. Now that I have Numbersync set up I use my Mac to make phone calls with my headset more than my iPhone. However I screen a lot of calls thereby partially defeating the point, since I still need to have my phone at my side all the time to listen to voicemails.)
  • Access to Health app data (of course, this should have the option to be disabled for those of us who are concerned about privacy - for me, I'm not concerned, and things like my emails and location data are already wayyyy more sensitive to me than my daily step counts and they're already in the cloud, sooo...it'd be nice to have an option)
  • PIP
  • Deeper iCloud integration with iMessages (goes for iOS too - it'd be nice if message threads lived in the cloud like emails, calendars, etc, so that entire message histories don't have to be stored locally on the device, and so that things like deletions sync everywhere. An iCloud.com app would also be great. But of course, just like with Calendar, Notes etc, giving users the ability to not use the cloud if they don't want to)
  • Notifications sync to OS X from iOS - would be nice to see my iPhone-only notifications on my Mac, much like the Apple Watch, to enhance Continuity
  • Multi caller Facetime (goes for iOS too)
  • Native Find my Mac/Device app
  • I hadn't thought of this myself until I scrolled this thread but I also like the idea of using iCloud for Time Machine - I have plenty of space to use on my storage plan and would love to use it for that

jovi.jia

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2014
I would like to see more overall stability/performance of the OS. Don't really care about new features.

Have the ability to remove any features that are added but I do not want/need (like in Windows, you can add/remove some features).

For example, if Siri is added to OS X, I would never use that nor would I want that on my machine. Having the ability to remove that feature from the system would be awesome.

This will not happen, I think. Apps like Siri are things used to build the unique ecosystem by Apple, they must be mandatory. but people could chose to not use it.

audicat

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2016
US
I would love to have the new iPad "picture in picture" mode integrated in Safari. It would be awesome to place a YT video on the screen while surfing. Why did they not integrate this?

There's a browser in the Mac App Store that lets you do that. It costs money though.

simon lefisch

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2014
This will not happen, I think. Apps like Siri are things used to build the unique ecosystem by Apple, they must be mandatory. but people could chose to not use it.
I understand that, however I feel (and others do as well) that having Siri on a computer is a wasted feature taking up space/resources. Granted it prob won't be a lot of space, but I would never want to talk to my computer. Now if it gets hard-coded to the OS (as I'm sure it will) having the option to disable it is fine.

Using Siri on an iPhone is alright (at best) but having it on OS X is plain stupid in my opinion. I mainly use my MBP for music as well as browsing and whatnot. I don't need something else on my MBP I won't ever use (like Maps/iBooks) having Maps on my Mac is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. Why have that when using Google is just as fast? I've never even opened that app. I'll prob delete it after the next update.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Since El Capitan was supposed to be the Snow Yosemite, and El Capitan is a rock in Yosemite park... as I understand... what's a small part of the El Capitan rock so we know the name of upcoming Snow Snow Yosemite? ;)

azpc

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2011
Contacts:

• Ability to resize the picture. Currently, the picture is very small.
  • Insert more than one picture into the contact. Example: Picture of spouse.
  • Larger font size options. Currently the fonts are so small many adult students have to switch glasses when they use Contacts.
  • Show a map snippet of the contacts location inside of contacts.
  • Custom Fields - Not having this is very frustrating. (A common custom field is a Christmas List). This field is used to determine who gets a Christmas card.
  • Alphabetic selection like iOS - The letter headings on the right side of the contacts. Click on the G group for last names that begin with G. Saves a lot of scrolling time.

Mail:

Default viewing Scale (Zoom) - 125, 150%. Twelve point fonts are difficult for many to comfortably read. Microsoft Word or Pages solves this problem with a Zoom setting.

Mission Control:

Ability to switch to the Desktop by clicking on the desktop. Mission Control is a great way to switch to Apps and groups of Apps. Just not a great way to switch to the plain old Desktop screen.

Photos:
  • Clone Tool
  • Tonal Contrast like Google Snapseed for iOS.
  • Selective adjustment for certain areas of the photo. Google Snapseed for iOS is probably the best example.
  • Collage Function
- Collage needs the ability to move and resize photos on a sheet of paper.
- Insert Collage Title at the top of the page
- Insert Captions below each photo.​

Uninstall:

When you trash an App it be helpful if it would find and trash all the files related with the App, like App Cleaner does.

Window Management:
  • Green button = Maximize window to largest possible size with Dock and Menu Bar visible
  • Separate Full Screen Button
  • Double click on Title Bar to maximize to content.
  • Window Snapping like Windows 10 (Aero Snap)
  • A setting to request that Apps remember Window position and size.
  • Window preview functionality similar to HyperDock or Windows 10.
Visual Elements:

Change colors of the Dock and Sidebars if transparency is turned off.

Translucency settings - Low translucency and high translucency.

Siri:

Ability to give Siri feedback via an app
similar to Amazon's Echo app. Because of this feedback mechanism Alexa (Echo) has become more accurate than Siri in only three months of use.
[doublepost=1458082653][/doublepost]
On that note, I'd like a font size about three times bigger in the Mac App Store, the iTunes Store and the iBook Store.

A bigger font in Mail. Even though I can customise, I still get small fonts sent to me in emails.

Exactly! Here is what I requested:

Mail:

Default viewing Scale (Zoom) - 125, 150%. Twelve point fonts are difficult for many to comfortably read. Microsoft Word or Pages solves this problem with a Zoom setting.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
Mission Control:

Ability to switch to the Desktop by clicking on the desktop. Mission Control is a great way to switch to Apps and groups of Apps. Just not a great way to switch to the plain old Desktop screen.

Whilst this is not exactly the same as what you are wishing for - you can view the desktop by pressing 'Command' + Mission Control/Spaces key. This just pushes all the windows aside so you can access the desktop.

Also, not sure whether you can you create desktop shortcuts to access certain desktop spaces? If so you could dedicate a space as an empty desktop and use a keyboard shortcut to access it.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Contacts:

• Ability to resize the picture. Currently, the picture is very small.
  • Insert more than one picture into the contact. Example: Picture of spouse.
  • Larger font size options. Currently the fonts are so small many adult students have to switch glasses when they use Contacts.
  • Show a map snippet of the contacts location inside of contacts.
  • Custom Fields - Not having this is very frustrating. (A common custom field is a Christmas List). This field is used to determine who gets a Christmas card.
  • Alphabetic selection like iOS - The letter headings on the right side of the contacts. Click on the G group for last names that begin with G. Saves a lot of scrolling time.
Mail:

Mission Control:

Photos:
  • Clone Tool
  • Tonal Contrast like Google Snapseed for iOS.
  • Selective adjustment for certain areas of the photo. Google Snapseed for iOS is probably the best example.
  • Collage Function
- Collage needs the ability to move and resize photos on a sheet of paper.
- Insert Collage Title at the top of the page
- Insert Captions below each photo.​

Uninstall:

When you trash an App it be helpful if it would find and trash all the files related with the App, like App Cleaner does.

Window Management:
  • Green button = Maximize window to largest possible size with Dock and Menu Bar visible
  • Separate Full Screen Button
  • Double click on Title Bar to maximize to content.
  • Window Snapping like Windows 10 (Aero Snap)
  • A setting to request that Apps remember Window position and size.
  • Window preview functionality similar to HyperDock or Windows 10.
Visual Elements:

Change colors of the Dock and Sidebars if transparency is turned off.

Translucency settings - Low translucency and high translucency.

Siri:

Ability to give Siri feedback via an app
similar to Amazon's Echo app. Because of this feedback mechanism Alexa (Echo) has become more accurate than Siri in only three months of use.
[doublepost=1458082653][/doublepost]
Yes, please, ALL of that. Especially the font sizes. Calendar is another culprit with tiny letters on a white background, and some of this text is clickable and some isn't and it's up to you to figure out what's what.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I understand that, however I feel (and others do as well) that having Siri on a computer is a wasted feature taking up space/resources. Granted it prob won't be a lot of space, but I would never want to talk to my computer. Now if it gets hard-coded to the OS (as I'm sure it will) having the option to disable it is fine.

Using Siri on an iPhone is alright (at best) but having it on OS X is plain stupid in my opinion. I mainly use my MBP for music as well as browsing and whatnot. I don't need something else on my MBP I won't ever use (like Maps/iBooks) having Maps on my Mac is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. Why have that when using Google is just as fast? I've never even opened that app. I'll prob delete it after the next update.
Maps is there for someone like me. I use it several times a week. I add addresses to my calendar appointments which make use of maps to give me time to leave alerts. I use the maps to calculate distance for planning routes. I don't want to use or depend on a Google version of what is already built in. If I can get a native version I prefer it.

mr.bee

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
Antwerp, belgium
I would love to see professional versions of Numbers and Pages instead of that pathetic excuse they have now...

Also a way to use iOS apps on your Mac. there are so many great apps, but you can't use them on your Mac :(
[doublepost=1458641226][/doublepost]
Also, I think Apple should remove a lot of the silly iOS inspired features that were added to OS X (well some of them at least). For example, Launchpad. It seems a bit out of place with the rest of OS X, and there are many more convenient ways (such as search) to access apps on the desktop.

I use launchpad, I like it. And I know more people who use it, especially as a hot corner...

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Also a way to use iOS apps on your Mac. there are so many great apps, but you can't use them on your Mac :(

This, if it were ever implemented, would be freaking awesome. I don't know how it would be, but I'd love it if it were. There really are a lot of iOS apps that I've often wished I could use when my Mac's in my lap and my phone is on the charger in the other room.

rudychidiac

Suspended
May 2, 2012
Lebanon
My wish list:

- Systemwide dark mode
- 3D touch-like app shortcuts for launchpad
- More force touch shortcuts
- siri
- Option to add 3 apps side by side in full screen
- Get red of "stickies" app

Reactions: Jess13

colourfastt

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2009
My wish list:

- Systemwide dark mode
- 3D touch-like app shortcuts for launchpad
- More force touch shortcuts
- siri
- Option to add 3 apps side by side in full screen
- Get red of "stickies" app

So-called "force touch" shortcuts are absolutely worthless with a mouse.
Siri ... not used on the phone, so really not useful on the desktop.
Stickies .. still use the app.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Don't repeat the same mistake made in the Lion betas and disallow applications (such as LaunchPad, but excluding Finder, which you can't quit) from being removed from the Dock. Good thing that mis-feature didn't make it to the stable release.

rudychidiac

Suspended
May 2, 2012
Lebanon
So-called "force touch" shortcuts are absolutely worthless with a mouse.
Siri ... not used on the phone, so really not useful on the desktop.
Stickies .. still use the app.

Worthless with a mouse? What do you mean?

Apple already implemented 3D touch gestures in El Capitan for macbooks and new macbook pros, they should continue that implementation and make better use.

Also a lot of people (including me) use Siri on a daily basis. According to rumours it is coming to 10.12 anyway, can't wait :)

colourfastt

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2009
Worthless with a mouse? What do you mean?

Apple already implemented 3D touch gestures in El Capitan for macbooks and new macbook pros, they should continue that implementation and make better use.

Also a lot of people (including me) use Siri on a daily basis. According to rumours it is coming to 10.12 anyway, can't wait :)

How, exactly, would the force touch features be implemented with a mouse?

Costee

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2011
Budapest
I would like a terminal command option to always show menubar even in fullscreen mode.
This. If they allow us to hide it on the desktop, add the option to always show it in full screen.

If I'm in full screen I can't glance at my keyboard layout nor the time or battery status. Accessing these informations is an extra step and on a desktop machine, those pixels does not matter as much as on an 11 inch MBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.