Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
Here is my wish list:
  • Apple News app
  • Siri
  • Security Integrity Protection disabled by default (It's making my development project harder to work with)
  • A FrontRow replacement
  • Updated Dashboard - It is out of touch with the rest of the OS right now.

Reactions: boston04and07

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Here is my wish list:
  • Apple News app
  • Siri
  • Security Integrity Protection disabled by default (It's making my development project harder to work with)
  • A FrontRow replacement
  • Updated Dashboard - It is out of touch with the rest of the OS right now.
I agree with most of these ideas, except for System Integrity Protection, for the simple reason that Apple's highly unlikely to default that to off. I'm a developer myself, so I know about the headaches it can cause. However, the projects I use have been updated to deal with it. So it's a non-issue for me.

Royi

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2016
Optimized, Efficient and Fast OS.
Really, I'd like to have an OS which exploits the Hardware like Windows does.
So what it needs:
  • Modular OS
    Let us chose which components to install and run.
    Some users need only few of the components and could have slimmer more efficient OS.
  • New File System
    We need something which run faster and exploits SSS'd.
  • Graphics Stack
    Updated OpenGL version, updated OpenCL.
    Better usage of the new discrete GPU's made by Intel (Especially those with eDRAM).
  • Better IDE
    Open Visual Studio - Watch and Learn.

Ecofritze

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2016
Germany
Apple should introduce an API for QuickView (select file and press spacebar), so that 3rd party apps can compute those. I'd like to choose Marko for markdown previews.

Ecofritze

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2016
Germany
This already exists; it's called a "Quick Look Generator". It serves exactly the purpose you seek.
I didn't know that, thank you! But it seems that there are not that many generators out there and even less in the App Store. What I meant is that app developers should include Quick Look Generators in their apps, so that I / the user is able to choose which generator computes the preview. After a little research, I think this is the app developers responsibility, not Apples. Nonetheless improvements are welcome.

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
How about a new UI and some nice animation when opening windows? Microsoft changes the UI on every release, but apple has basically stuck with "Aqua" since 1999. I know Yosemite changed it, but not really... The system preferences app is old, and some apps are just not user friendly.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
… ZFS or HAMMER would be nice …

Maybe of interest: in The FreeBSD Forums, ZFS vs HAMMER. I haven't read it yet, but it should be informative.

Also: ZFS Encryption, in particular https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/pull/4329#issuecomment-219933841 comparing multiplatform progress (OpenZFS) with the approach taken by Oracle.

Back to https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/21463511 and refocusing on OS X 10.12: I doubt that we'll see anything other than Core Storage. In other words, no integral support for ZFS. Heyho.

… some apps are just not user friendly.

OS X El Capitan's Disk Utility is a mess – doesn't inspire confidence.

Reactions: JamesPDX

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA
OS X 10.12 needs an intelligent assistant like iOS 9. My one personal gripe is Safari's slow release cycle. Apple is at risk of being a scapegoat for the web if their browser cannot keep up with the latest features. Everyone else has adopted a rapid release model for their browsers; why can't Apple do the same? Heck, the next major version of Safari will be 10; this is a perfect time to adopt my suggestion ;)

Or a dedicated iOS chip and RAM that is separate and isolated from the Xeon. The Siri, browsers, mail, Calendar, all the iWhatever lifestyle toys display on the screen, but don't hog the "main computing resources" and instead run alongside macos.

HBX

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
Portland, Oregon
I'd like a preference pane where I can disable unneeded services (ex. Airdrop ect..).
a GUI for pf would be nice. Being able to Quicklook all file types. A transparent dock.
I know I could add more but thats it for now.

dfelix

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
Btrfs. Or ZFS, EXT4 support. Any would be better than HFS+. Or maybe all, MacOS has a BSD foundation after all, so it should be easy as pie.

That's pretty much it.

And more stability. No more random logouts and reboots.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Btrfs. Or ZFS, EXT4 support. … maybe all, MacOS has a BSD foundation after all, so it should be easy as pie. …

FreeBSD and ZFS | FreeBSD Foundation – "… For nearly seven years, FreeBSD has included a production quality ZFS implementation, making it one of the key features of the FreeBSD operating system…' but the feature set there does not mean that ZFS can be easy as pie for OS X. Consider https://github.com/openzfsonosx/zfs/issues?q=is:issue+sort:created-asc

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
My wish for 10.12 is for multithreading to be done at the OS level. With Intel coming out with 10-core desktop-class CPUs, something needs to be done to take full advantage of this. I don't want to rely on individual apps to take full advantage of my computer hardware. I would love for Mac OS 10.12 to people able to have 1 single threaded process be able to span multiple cores.

I am still using my 12-core 2009 Mac Pro and a feature like this in 10.12 would be huge.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
My wish for 10.12 is for multithreading to be done at the OS level. With Intel coming out with 10-core desktop-class CPUs, something needs to be done to take full advantage of this. I don't want to rely on individual apps to take full advantage of my computer hardware. I would love for Mac OS 10.12 to people able to have 1 single threaded process be able to span multiple cores.

I am still using my 12-core 2009 Mac Pro and a feature like this in 10.12 would be huge.
While system and API calls to the OS can be processed in the background and thus be multi-threaded, what you're dealing with isn't something solvable at the OS level, sadly. Apple did make the needed tools available to developers in 10.6 but they can't force adoption, or retrofit old binaries to use the Grand Central Dispatch tools.

Reactions: grahamperrin

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
secure delete.

If FileVault is enabled and/or if deletion is from an encrypted volume, then deletion is effectively secure.

Encrypted volumes aside: I didn't know about (or had forgotten) disappearance of the Secure Emtpy Trash command. I see it in Mavericks.

HBX

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
Portland, Oregon
If FileVault is enabled and/or if deletion is from an encrypted volume, then deletion is effectively secure.

Encrypted volumes aside: I didn't know about (or had forgotten) disappearance of the Secure Emtpy Trash command. I see it in Mavericks.
I already knew that about FileVault. I still prefer the ability to have a secure delete option baked right into the trash can. Its alot easier than opening terminal and using srm ...im currently uses services that just uses srm to do the secure deletion.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that.

I added it to a machine with PC-BSD,

Code:
$ date ; freebsd-version ; uname -a
1 June 2016 at 07:48:04 BST
11.0-CURRENTMAY2016
FreeBSD hpelitebook850g2-pcbsd.university.brighton.ac.uk 11.0-CURRENTMAY2016 FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENTMAY2016 #19 5bab0d2(master): Fri May  6 17:56:25 UTC 2016     root@devastator:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
$ pkg search srm
srm-1.2.12                     Secure rm, a utility which destroys file contents before unlinking
$ sudo pkg install srm
Password:
Updating pcbsd-base repository catalogue...
pcbsd-base repository is up-to-date.
Updating pcbsd-major repository catalogue...
pcbsd-major repository is up-to-date.
All repositories are up-to-date.
The following 1 package(s) will be affected (of 0 checked):

New packages to be INSTALLED:
        srm: 1.2.12 [pcbsd-major]

14 KiB to be downloaded.

Proceed with this action? [y/N]: y
Fetching srm-1.2.12.txz: 100%   14 KiB  14.4kB/s    00:01  
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
[1/1] Installing srm-1.2.12...
[1/1] Extracting srm-1.2.12: 100%
Message from srm-1.2.12:
===>   NOTICE:

The srm port currently does not have a maintainer. As a result, it is
more likely to have unresolved issues, not be up-to-date, or even be removed in
the future. To volunteer to maintain this port, please create an issue at:

https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla

More information about port maintainership is available at:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/contributing/ports-contributing.html#maintain-port
$

buckwheet

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2014
My apologies if this is already on the list, but Apple, please stop hiding scrollbars. There's really no need for it, and I hate having to scroll a little, then quickly grab the scrollbar while it's visible, any time I need to do a long scroll. Also, the way the vanishing scrollbars obscure important UI elements like eject buttons—forcing us to wait until they disappear again—is just ridiculous.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
stop hiding scrollbars

That reminds me: it's peculiar to have Do Not Disturb hidden by default. It's necessary to scroll up, in an interface that has no scroll bar, before the switch becomes visible.

In other words, Do Not Disturb should be more easily available.

(I'm aware of the Alt-Click routine. That's not the solution.)

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
My apologies if this is already on the list, but Apple, please stop hiding scrollbars. There's really no need for it, and I hate having to scroll a little, then quickly grab the scrollbar while it's visible, any time I need to do a long scroll. Also, the way the vanishing scrollbars obscure important UI elements like eject buttons—forcing us to wait until they disappear again—is just ridiculous.

This is optional, you can turn on scrollbar always in the Sys Prefs > General > Show Scroll bars.

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2009
Comprehensive wishlist here, calls for jump to 11.0 and MacOS name:

UIKit for Mac
This is quite a big one. If Apple released UIKit for Mac as an alternative to the traditional development, they could open up the floor to a whole new range of apps. Facebook could bring native clients for Facebook and Messenger; Netflix could port its iOS client for the Mac screen and so on. These apps would have their own UI conventions to be optimised for a pointer and keyboard, but share much of the same base as the iOS versions. It could really revolutionise the Mac App Store and be great for both developers and users.

Night Shift
A no-brainer, the blue light reduction feature of iOS 9.3 would be a worthy addition to the Mac platform. It would be toggled in Control Center and available on a sunset to sunrise option just like on iOS devices.

Night Mode which updates window chrome
The Dark menu bar and Dock option is as far as Apple went with a dark theme for the Mac OS. This year, it would be nice to see a proper Night Mode, tied to Night Shift. It would update window chrome, sidebars and toolbars and include an API for developers to hook into their apps.

Siri
This one is heavily rumoured for this year, and not without good reason. It’s madness the personal assistant is not on Mac yet. There are tons of useful queries we could ask the assistant which could range from searching to launching and quitting apps to simply restarting the machine.

Push notifications for Mail even when app shut
This one is a bit bizarre. The Mail app needs to be opened for Push notifications to arrive. In the next version of OS X, native push notifications while the app is shut would be super useful.

iTunes dismantled into Music, Podcasts, Videos, Books, Store and Sync apps
People have been crying out for this for some time and Apple are surely working toward a future where this is the case. It’s unlikely to happen this year but in my dreams, a dedicated Music library/streaming app, Podcasts app, Videos app, unified Store app (for apps and media) and a Sync app for device management would be the most intuitive and streamlined way to go.

Improved interfaces for iLife and iWork apps with collaboration features
iLife and iWork have become a little neglected. Apple would do good to improve their UIs (bringing back the optional floating inspectors, for example) and add collaboration features which are found on the iCloud versions to the desktop apps.

Weather, News, Health, Phone apps for Mac
[......]

Full wishlist here: http://www.theapplestream.com/os-x-10-12-wishlist/

raymond7

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2016
My wishlist:
Updated OpenGL and/or Metal, so that blizzard can support Overwatch on OSX...

Night Shift

If someone may explain, if Apple somehow changes the filesystem, does we have to do a clean install?

kryten42

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2015
In a little world of my own
If someone may explain, if Apple somehow changes the filesystem, does we have to do a clean install?
More likely I would expect them to do some filesystem conversion (similar to enabling FileVault - one reboot to update and then the conversion done in the background). That may be one of the bigger holdups. Of course they could just do it for new systems or rebuilds only, but not really the Apple way for OS X.

Reactions: raymond7
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.