Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

okmacok

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2018
Paris, France
Thank you Timothy, I have definitely a 32 bit EFI. Everymac.com made me confused :confused:.

Edit : Can someone give me more info about this ? It seems that my mac hardware can boot with 64 bit EFI but Apple didn't want to. Is there a theorical workaround like a firmware patch ?

I had success with EC-EFI32-SIP-disabled-boot.efi-v3, El Capitan 10.11.6 and last 2017 security update.
But I couldn't boot anymore after a SSD patch...
After some more tries I decided to give up.

But that was fun to get it work ! ;) Than you to you all ...

Last edited:

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
Your welcome I am a newbie to I have a early 2009 iMac 9,1 and used macOS high Sierra patcher it works great you could go to the OS X hackers website and try MacPost factor or macOS extractor orsee if dosdude still has a El captain patcher to get your Mac back up and running

okmacok

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2018
Paris, France
I failed with MacPost factor and MacOsExtractor. It seems they dont work with 10.11.6 (without any security updates) on my mac. Autors don't seem to work on it anymore... Maybe later ?

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
did you try the link for the 32 bit efi on the first page of this thread or you can try holding down the 3 and 2 on your keyboard as you start your Mac up

Last edited:

applCore

macrumors regular
May 3, 2011
Couple questions. Got an old MacbookPro2,1 (X1600):

Does it run 10.8 WITH graphical acceleration? I'm assuming it does from the OP's remarks, but wanting to do a sanity check before going down this road. I'm guessing that the last best release of macOS that we can get to work on this model is 10.8 WITH GPU accel (which is necessary for some of us).

Does anything on this 2006 MacbookPro2,1 model NOT work on 10.8?

Also, has anyone done any work with getting the X1600 graphical acceleration on any newer macOS releases?

okmacok

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2018
Paris, France
@TimothyR734 : Yes I used EC-EFI32-SIP-disabled-boot.efi-v3 ans Yes SIP was disable.
My EFI is definitely 32 bit.

@oldhifi : Yes (check page 1) but it is not easy

@aaplCore : I have GMA950 and the last macos that have graphic acceleration is 10.8.
I cannot answer your question more but I will I give 10.8 a try so I will write here problems if I have some.

applCore

macrumors regular
May 3, 2011
Strange @okmacok, I gave 10.8 a shot with macOS Extractor on a MacbookPro2,1 and I can't seem to get graphics accel working, even after installing the ATI KEXTs.

okmacok

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2018
Paris, France
Ah @applCore I'm sorry... :( I was wrong when I said "the last macos that have graphic acceleration is 10.8".
I am sorrry, I read false things. Like here for example :
https://osxlatitude.com/topic/2351-think-i-might-have-found-a-working-108-gma-950-kext/

I found some explanations
https://apple.stackexchange.com/que...-to-install-on-a-macbook-pro-ha/103693#103693
https://everymac.com/mac-answers/os...ompatible-macs-to-run-os-x-mountain-lion.html

I will stuck to 10.7 with waterfox and the use of 64bit applications. This is sad but the only other alternative is to switch to windows (with bootcamp for example). Crazy but Windows will be more up to date that Mac Os on my computer :eek:
Edit : I just installed windows on my mac with bootcamp it is very easy to do. All drivers are included !

Last edited:

Yojx21

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2017
Dijon, France
Hi guys,
I am trying to install El Capitan on a 24' iMac from late 2006 (iMac6,1)
Everything seem's to work well during the installation, but when i reboot on install partition, it's bring me to my main partition.
I have tried to bless the disk, but there is no "boot" file in it :
Code:
Error while getting file ID of /Volumes/OS X Base System 1/boot. Ignoring...

I am a little bit lost, can you help me ?

Thanks you !

Yojx21

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2017
Dijon, France
Hi guys,
I am trying to install El Capitan on a 24' iMac from late 2006 (iMac6,1)
Everything seem's to work well during the installation, but when i reboot on install partition, it's bring me to my main partition.
I have tried to bless the disk, but there is no "boot" file in it :
Code:
Error while getting file ID of /Volumes/OS X Base System 1/boot. Ignoring...

I am a little bit lost, can you help me ?

Thanks you !
Ok, so i think it is due to my copy of El Capitan because i have removed all from my mac and i renew the operation with Maverick and it worked...

I have tryed with another copy of El Capitan but this time the iMac stay stuck on Apple logo after i selected the install partition. I tryed to boot in verbose mode and absolutly nothing happened.

Do you have an idea ?

saimadma

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2017
Hi, I followed all the steps from the method 3v3
I wonder what is happen. I didn't get "Created mkext archive /Volumes/Capitann/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext." message, but I got nothing.
hG9kUXu.png

I thought it is ok but I tried to boot, it can't and result into kernel panic.
Sometimes I got "File at path xxxxxxx changed" something like that I can't remember.
This is my second time on install el cap on mbp2,2
I wonder what's going on?

mpbb

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2014
Hi all. I'm trying to install El Capo on a Macmini 2006 1,1 C2D-upgraded to 2,1. after successfully installing Mountain Lion, Mavericks and Yosemite, all 3 with the standard MCPF app. I've read a post some four pages back that it has been done on macmini but the post seems to hint that it was done using 3v3. I don't have a El Capo computer at hand (I do have a macbook pro 2009 which I just upgraded to High Sierra and enjoying, so I' m not planning to downgrade right now).

So, I've tried to upgrade with MCPF but this time the macmini will boot, a progress bar will show but shortly after (not even 25% I would say) it reboots and then gets stuck as the target partition has been wiped and the recovery one gives an error.

I've tried to hack a bit the MCPF-created partition by using the boot.efi downloaded from the guide to no avail (kernel panic). Also tried with my own Yosemite's boot.efi (same size, 312k) but same thing.

Does anyone know about a successful MacPostfactor install "out-of-the box", or is there a mid-way by using the MCPF-created Install partition (instead of cloning a full El Capitan install) with 3v3 (ie, beyond replacing just boot.efi) or do I need definitely to downgrade my MBP to El Capitan ?

mpbb

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2014
Ok, never mind EL capitan for now , I've been a bit too quick in claiming success with Yosemite on MM2,1 as I didn't notice immediately that the internal speakers wouldn't show up. Sure I've tried many suggestions like the HDA.kext, removing AIrplay devices, resetting NVRAM ans SMC and even standard issues with sound on Mavericks, but so far nothing worked. Will now get back down to Mavericks and take some time.

Baboo85

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2018
Hi all, I have a problem with my MacBook Air 1,1 (early 2008).
I'm trying the first method, the usb is created but won't boot from it.
I used the boot.efi for 64 and 32 bit, and used the bless command on both configurations.
Still won't boot.

Any ideas?

Thanks

mpbb

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2014
Hi all, I have a problem with my MacBook Air 1,1 (early 2008).
I'm trying the first method, the usb is created but won't boot from it.
I used the boot.efi for 64 and 32 bit, and used the bless command on both configurations.
Still won't boot.

Any ideas?

Thanks
I can only tell my hard-learned experience, stay away from USB keys/dongles as either they wont have the capacity or they will be USB 3.0 and somehow not recognized. Try to use a classic, standard partition from an external HDD.

Baboo85

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2018
I can only tell my hard-learned experience, stay away from USB keys/dongles as either they wont have the capacity or they will be USB 3.0 and somehow not recognized. Try to use a classic, standard partition from an external HDD.
Same experience, still didn’t thought when used the usb key.
It’s USB 3. Damn it.
I’ll use a USB 2 or an external hdd (with USB 2 interface) and I’ll try again.
I’ll let you know. Thanks.

mpbb

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2014
Ok, I'm posting an update on my tries to have EC working on a MacMini 2,1. I had succeeded to have Yosemite but no internal speakers detected. I've again tried installing various kexts to no avail. I' ve now only solved the issue that every time I rehacked the system through Recovery I would get the USB keyboard and mouse undetected. Looking at the scripts, it turns out that in MCPF 2.01 the script to install Bluetooth (ECkexts.sh) deletes the USB kexts (among many) but won't replace them as the zip file with the replacement kexts is not included. I dont know why this happens as the same install for Mavericks will work and includ the zip file, but I guess there is a reason.

Anyway I tried the 3v3 method to install El Capitan and it actually ... worked. I mean, I succeeded booting my MM2,1 with all apps running fine... except that I got no background and no dock (this perhaps is fixable and may be due to the boot_args' kext dev mode=1 flag, but I didn't try it) AND moreover still got no internal speakers detected. What is is consistent with the fact that I couildn"t get it to work on Yosemite. So for now I'm again reverting to my Mavericks baseline but there seems to be hope if I succeed in the future to get the speakers detected.

Waragainstsleep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2003
UK
I've been trying to install a newer OS on a Mac Pro 1,1. First I tried El Capitan by installing onto the MP drive using a MacBook Air with the drive on USB. I replaced the boot.efi and installed a Gigabyte GeForce 210 or something like and all seemed to work as advertised. I then migrated the apps from the Lion install on a second drive and all still worked. After a day or so it began spontaneously rebooting sooner and sooner until it was unusable within an hour or so.

Some googling of log messages which were consistent suggested a RAM issues so I tested various combinations. Some were slightly better, others much worse, the log errors changed each time after a while. No RAM seemed faulty and all still worked for Lion.

Eventually I decided to try Yosemite using a similar method but it didn't recognise the GPU so I put the stock 7300GT back in. This worked but graphic performance was unusable.

I've since tried having another go with El Cap in case the fault was due to the migration but now it won't boot at all using the same method as before. Tried different installers, disks, host Macs and it never seems to get to login screen, just stays black and it isn't getting far with the boot process since a single press of the power button kills it instantly.

I've found plenty of upgrade guides but is there a guide for a clean 10.11.6? I think I might have used an earlier installer first time round but I no longer have it.

This should work shouldn't it?

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Strange @okmacok, I gave 10.8 a shot with macOS Extractor on a MacbookPro2,1 and I can't seem to get graphics accel working, even after installing the ATI KEXTs.

Use MPF 1.0.1. The newest MPF doesn't inject the kexts properly for 10.8 for some reason, but the older version works just fine.

Acden

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2016
Russian Federation
Question about battery and power of our old computers - how to bypass the Apple "overconsumption protection"

It's supposed this is done by Apple to protect the computer to shutdown while working, because the Magsafe has less power than the power the Mac could need in some situations. So, Apple downclocks the CPU to the half of its real/nominal speed.
1 The reality, I have a 85W Magsafe and if I reproduce a 1080 HD video (on my El Capitan MBP3,1) I get a real power drain of only about 49 W with full brightness, WIFI...
So, I think Apple does this to have us thinking we need a new Mac because ours is old and slow, not because of a supposed overconsumption situation.

2 UPDATED: BEST SOLUTION
Buy a new battery. Although you can get something done (modifying some .plist from some kexts), it's not perfect, and you can overheat the MBP. As you may know the vast majority of MBPs from 2006 to 2013 has that horrible GPU failure and they get a BSOD (Blank Screen Of Death) very easily, so i'ts better to try to avoid overheating, so you don't need to be all day baking the logic board.

1. How did you see (any software name?) about summary power drain?
2. Do you know what happens with not fully broken battery, but with "need service" battery? It holds about 30-60 minutes on the battery, by the way. Does it work with service battery the same way or only when it completely broken?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.