Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

jdogDerr

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2015
I cannot boot the installer. Instead, I get this not allowed symbol.Preview attachment IMG_0147.JPGIMG_0147.JPG1.5 MB.
I have a Macbook 4,1. I ran the installer on a supported mac, and it ran fine. That must mean it is still not allowing my mac to access the installer, so what do I do? I have double checked everything, and it all seems fine. This is the GM version of El Capitan

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
I cannot boot the installer. Instead, I get this not allowed symbol.

Try to boot the patched Installer via FireWire (or a replaced HDD) or try to run a transferred OSX 10.11 from the supported Mac with both Boot.efi replaced and Remote Desktop enabled, also via FireWire (or a replaced HDD). It seems that Apple has dropped the support for older Chipsets and therefore the USB-support is missing.

Last edited:

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
As seen in a previous page, MLForAll figured it out. The Kexts are in OSXE1.3b5 but I will get back to him on where he used them and what needs to be changed.

I just looked all through this thread for this "previous page" and never found his post. Then I used the search function and I was surprised to discover that MLforAll has not in fact posted anything on this forum for more then 2 years.

Can you link to this post he made with that screen shot?

It must exist or atvusr couldn't have posted the image. I would just like to clarify if it is actually running with USB support or if he used Remote Desktop, as I suggested some pages back, to create the image.

Considering that this thread is specifically about running El Cap on a variety of older Macs and you have a list of "tested" models I find it curious that there isn't a single end user reporting it running. The only exception being Mac Pro 1,1 and 2,1, and they aren't using anything from this thread.

So, has anyone actually gotten El Cap running on an unsupported machine other then Mac Pro? And by "running" I mean using input devices, not via screen sharing.

I am trying to avoid the fiasco that was MacPostFactor where a never ending series of "right around the corner" and "coming soon" kept people dangling for years (literally years) because someone couldn't just say " I have no idea how to fix GPU issues and they will never be fully functional".

I've got a few older Macs I could toss it on, maybe I'll find time this weekend.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-19 at 2.38.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-19 at 2.38.29 PM.png
    61.9 KB · Views: 260

jdogDerr

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2015
I just looked all through this thread for this "previous page" and never found his post. Then I used the search function and I was surprised to discover that MLforAll has not in fact posted anything on this forum for more then 2 years.

It must exist or atvusr couldn't have posted the image. I would just like to clarify if it is actually running with USB support or if he used Remote Desktop, as I suggested some pages back, to create the image.

Considering that this thread is specifically about running El Cap on a variety of older Macs and you have a list of "tested" models I find it curious that there isn't a single end user reporting it running. The only exception being Mac Pro 1,1 and 2,1, and they aren't using anything from this thread.

So, has anyone actually gotten El Cap running on an unsupported machine other then Mac Pro? And by "running" I mean using input devices, not via screen sharing.

I am trying to avoid the fiasco that was MacPostFactor where a never ending series of "right around the corner" and "coming soon" kept people dangling for years (literally years) because someone couldn't just say " I have no idea how to fix GPU issues and they will never be fully functional".

I've got a few older Macs I could toss it on, maybe I'll find time this weekend.
Huh. I just used the post from this forum, as well as the one on osxhackers.net. Yosemite works on my mac though. Speaking of which, is there anything I can do to have graphic acceleration?

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010

It's in Post #114, posted by TMRJIJ. Behind MLforAll is Kelian Dumarais and in the picture you can see a french OSX 10.11 on a 20" iMac 4,1 (early 2006) with 128 MB Graphics Memory of the ATI X1600.

img_0231-jpg.571807

I got it "running" on a MBP2,2 - the "Trick" was to use a USB-ExpressCard34 for the external Input-devices. But it runs very slow, you cannot work with it.

19v812.jpg

Last edited:

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
I have the old MacBook2,1 (yeah, the one with the infamous GMA 950, running Yosemite since its beta, though) and I decided today to give it a try at El Capitan. I followed the instructions step by step (apart from an initial little mess up. I interpreted "Non 64 bits Macs" and the older Macs with a 32 bits CPU. I know, it didn't make sense, but maybe it's better if you write "EFI 32 Macs". Rusty people like me can get confused ;) ) and finally started the installation from USB. Boot.efi loeaded, and then... I've got a kernel panic? Is it normal? or it has anything to do with the fact that I am using the GM Candidate (legally. I belong to Apple Seed). It was a driver failing iocp or something.

I looked a bit into the thread and I've seen there are some issues but I am not sure I've understood what they are about and if they apply to my case (something to do with the USB? I don't know).

PS: I extracted with Pacifist the last kernel and put it in the install disc. I see that my issue is similar to the one of ekripton. I get spammed with messages of kexts not loaded :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t2u2sosly0ok6qz/2015-09-20 15.17.15.jpg?dl=0

Last edited:

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
It's in Post #114, posted by TMRJIJ. Behind MLforAll is Kelian Dumarais and in the picture you can see a french OSX 10.11 on a 20" iMac 4,1 (early 2006) with 128 MB Graphics Memory of the ATI X1600.

img_0231-jpg.571807

I got it "running" on a MBP2,2 - the "Trick" was to use a USB-ExpressCard34 for the external Input-devices. But it runs very slow, you cannot work with it.

19v812.jpg

So, nobody has it running in a useable fashion except on a Mac Pro. (And a mysterious screen shot that could very well be created via screen sharing)

Everyone seeing this thread needs to know that.

The only actual progress is being created by Pike in the Mac Pro thread. And the big holdup for all the other machines is completely non-functional USB and the continued un accelerated graphics that have been an issue since 10.9. There is the honest truth about running newer OSs on unsupported machines.

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
So, nobody has it running in a useable fashion except on a Mac Pro. (And a mysterious screen shot that could very well be created via screen sharing)

Everyone seeing this thread needs to know that.

The only actual progress is being created by Pike in the Mac Pro thread. And the big holdup for all the other machines is completely non-functional USB and the continued un accelerated graphics that have been an issue since 10.9. There is the honest truth about running newer OSs on unsupported machines.

I'm fine with the lack of graphics acceleration. I've been running Yosemite without it for about an year now since it is a better experience than running that Lion memory hog. But I wished it was specified that this wasn't working (or at least tested) on Macs other than the Mac Pro. The first post makes people thinking El Capitan was already up and running on all unsupported Macs running the previous OS X versions.

Anyway, if it is a matter of kexts, I can test it on MacBook2,1 if someone tells me which kexts should be added/replaced (I suppose from Yosemite).

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
I'm fine with the lack of graphics acceleration. I've been running Yosemite without it for about an year now since it is a better experience than running that Lion memory hog. But I wished it was specified that this wasn't working (or at least tested) on Macs other than the Mac Pro. The first post makes people thinking El Capitan was already up and running on all unsupported Macs running the previous OS X versions.

Anyway, if it is a matter of kexts, I can test it on MacBook2,1 if someone tells me which kexts should be added/replaced (I suppose from Yosemite).

While I'm still trying to get a hold of MLforAll on the chipset issue, his beta kexts are in OS X Extractor 1.3 Beta 5.
I would try them in /Extra/Extensions for unsigned kexts, so that the /Library/Extensions and /System/Library/Extensions directories can be kept clean.
If not, you either have to use rootless=0 (probably obsolete now in El Capitan GM) or use the Security Configurator utility to toggle a checkbox, or run csrutil [enable/disable] from the Recovery OS on a supported mac.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
While I'm still trying to get a hold of MLforAll on the chipset issue, his beta kexts are in OS X Extractor 1.3 Beta 5.
I would try them in /Extra/Extensions for unsigned kexts, so that the /Library/Extensions and /System/Library/Extensions directories can be kept clean.
If not, you either have to use rootless=0 (probably obsolete now in El Capitan GM) or use the Security Configurator utility to toggle a checkbox, or run csrutil [enable/disable] from the Recovery OS on a supported mac.

Sorry for the late reply, I was a bit busy.

I'm not sure how I could do anything of that. My problem is that I can't even reach the installation screen (I use the flag "-v" - verbose - in the NVARM variable boot-args). Then in "Other kexts" I just see a couple of bluetooth kets, but nothing for USB. Unless they are the same.

Still, is there any way to retrieve the boot log during installation? I'm afraid my installation breaks earlier. I get spammed with kext issues.

grebarne

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2014

Attachments

• 20150923_134911.jpg
    20150923_134911.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 289
  • 20150923_134946.jpg
    20150923_134946.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 292
  • 20150923_135035.jpg
    20150923_135035.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 277
  • 20150923_135140.jpg
    20150923_135140.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 291
  • 20150923_135145.jpg
    20150923_135145.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 290
  • Capture d’écran 2015-09-23 à 20.05.07.png
    Capture d’écran 2015-09-23 à 20.05.07.png
    77.8 KB · Views: 331
  • Capture d’écran 2015-09-23 à 20.05.29.png
    Capture d’écran 2015-09-23 à 20.05.29.png
    67.3 KB · Views: 313

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
I was unable to go further than the screen installation of el Capitan GM_Candidat:
my keyboard is not recognized and my touchpad so.

It seems that Apple has dropped the support for older Chipsets and therefore the USB-support is missing. Keyboard and Touchpad are internally connected via USB.

grebarne

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2014
It seems that Apple has dropped the support for older Chipsets and therefore the USB-support is missing. Keyboard and Touchpad are internally connected via USB.
how to inject the kext files for usb in el capitan gm?
and where I find these kexts pleased ?
thanks advance.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
how to inject the kext files for usb in el capitan gm?
and where I find these kexts pleased ?
thanks advance.

Well, that is the $64,000 question.

The JMRJJ guy has been hinting and implying that he has a fix, but used a screenshot from someone who hasn't posted in 2 years to prove it.

My guess is that there is no fix yet. You are welcome to try his package (The Johnson package) and let us know if it works.

This is why I have been asking for more honesty from this thread, I don't think there is a fix yet.

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Last edited:

grebarne

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2014
Well, that is the $64,000 question.

The JMRJJ guy has been hinting and implying that he has a fix, but used a screenshot from someone who hasn't posted in 2 years to prove it.

My guess is that there is no fix yet. You are welcome to try his package (The Johnson package) and let us know if it works.

This is why I have been asking for more honesty from this thread, I don't think there is a fix yet.
Where I can find the link for johnson package pleased ?
thanks advance.

grebarne

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2014
It's always in Post #1 on Page 1 of this Thread, section 'Downloads/Files for Patching' -> OS X Extractor v1.3.

The link from there: Download.
thanks but infact I have already try this package but without success with capitan gm.
I had a kernel panic with this efi.boot.

grebarne

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2014
The Modified Kexts are in the EC_USB_Bluetooth folder inside OS X Extractor 1.3 Beta 5
ok thanks.
how to inject theses kexts in el capitan gm with an unsupported macbook 2,1 ? crsutil doesn't exist with this model.
may I put rootless=0 in com.apple.Boot.plist ? but I tryed, but the keyboard and touchpad not was responding in screen's installation.

Last edited:

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
Some Clarity since I just put out Beta 5 as a Stable Build on the site and been getting multiple emails about what the El Capitan Old Chipset Kexts we are working on.
When you install OS X Extractor 1.2 Beta 5, they should be in your Applications/OS X Hackers Patch Files/EC_USB_Bluetooth
The kexts don't seem to work in /System/Library/Extensions since they are unsigned so I would (for now) have to assume that they go in Extra/Extensions.
Some more info about this weird Kext Issue here

The guide in Post 1 is outdated as well as OSXE1.3b6/GM due to me waiting on MLforAll's workaround for both the detest/Recovery partition issue (which causes Error Code 3 in MacPostFactor) and these new kexts he worked on.
MLforAll doesn't go on MacRumors that much anymore. My main contact with him is through Skype. I'm trusting that he actually did have a fully tested and working way installing OS X El Capitan on other Unsupported Macs besides the Mac Pros and waiting on his response on Skype.

I apologize for the inactivity on both these forums, Facebook page and in the support emails. I hope to focus primarily on these issues and bug fixes this weekend.

seijinshu

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2015
Is this done without wiping anything? I have a used Macbook 4,1 and it came with lots of software licenses, and I want to be able to keep them while upgrading to Yosemite or El Capitan.

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Is this done without wiping anything?

Unfortunately no. It's better to do a clean install. If you want to keep your licenses, a dual-boot environment could be a solution: two partitions - one with your current OSX and the other with OSX 10.10 Yosemite. OSX 10.11 El Capitan is not recommended at the moment because there's no solution yet to run it on a MacBook 4,1. For installing OSX 10.10 Yosemite see this Thread.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.