Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Adamscomputerrepair

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2015
It's in my case a transferred OSX 10.11 PB4 from a supported Mac with both Boot.efi replaced. Since the USB-Support is missing, it works only via Remote Desktop.

You may be onto something there. Since I have no supported mac, I'll have to make a hackbook for the umpteenth time. But why not copy the touchpad and keyboard kexts that worked in 10.10.4 over and then copy to the Mac? I know this method "Slightly" works. Long story short, I have an iMac G4 that a friend gave to me. So I installed Leopard using a flash drive on my MacBook and restored the flash to the G4's HDD. So I know this will work. That's two different architectures. Apple's software obviously automatically picks up device Id's.

I've got some testing to do......

EDIT Just read your comment about PB4 and the protected Extensions file. Good thing I have DP1 I'll be installing.

Adamscomputerrepair

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2015
It should be the same in DB1 - a general new feature of OSX 10.11, called System Integrity Protection ....

One problem at a time. If I can get El Cap to boot, then I'll start work on the Rootless issue. By God something has to work. I got screwed over on eBay because I was told this was a late 2008 MacBook. I didn't know any better. I will keep it up to date for as long as possible.

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
I've updated OSX 10.11 on the MBP2,2 (originally transferred from a supported Mac, both Boot.efi replaced) now to Public Beta 5 (15A262e). The internal USB-Ports are still not recognized.

Since it runs from a SSD connected via FireWire 800, the ExpressCard34 slot was empty (formerly used for a eSATA card). I've inserted a USB 3.0 ExpressCard34 with NEC/Renesas µPD720202 chipset. The card works and external Input-devices are now recognized, but they work very slow - much slower than via Remote Desktop.

The 'System Integrity Protection' is a very strange thing: although 'rootless=0' and 'kext-dev-mode=1' are clearly set via 'com.apple.Boot.plist' and NVRam (and displayed in Verbose mode), I cannot rename 'AMDFramebuffer.kext' and 'AMDSupport.kext' in /System/Library/Extensions/ to disable these two files in preparation for the ATI X1600 Kexts. It's not allowed via Finder and also not allowed via Terminal. If I rename it (simply to 'AMDFramebuffer_kext_bak') via an external OSX (e.g. Yosemite) I get a Kernel Panic - 'Can't perform Kext Scan: No Kext Summary'. If I rename the 'AMDFramebuffer_kext_bak' again to it's original name, the Kernel Panic remains .... :(

PS: With the USB-ExpressCard I was able to install OSX 10.11 PB1 from a patched Installer on the MBP2,2 - it works, but it's a agony due to the very slow Input-devices (also not better via external Bluetooth) ....

Last edited:

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
I think there is a new means to disable this via a preference pane. Not 100% sure, I haven't played with El Cap much yet.

I did have one thought on the USB issue, probably not related but a thought. I was helping a guy run Yosemite on his 1,1 Mac Pro and he had lost his USB. It turned out that the ancient BT card no longer had a driver (Atheros I think) Since BT was plumbed via USB, the lack of a driver buggered up 1/2 of the USB ports. The fix was to physically remove the BT card and replace with a Broadcom one, then ports came back. This is probably a different problem but I thought it was interesting that we had experienced a USB issue before that was easily solvable.

UPDATE: Got it running on my 1,1 yesterday. Super easy, I did the install on a 4,1 then moved drive and did surgery on 1,1.

See the El Cap on a 1,1 thread in MP section.

Last edited:

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
OS X Extractor 1.3 Beta 6 will include the following (updating...):
  • Added missing Font Changer installation package
  • Small adjustments to El Capitan Kexts
  • Install a new Hidden File toggle in System Preferences.
  • Fixed No Sleep kext / No Sleep Extension to be installed by default

Adamscomputerrepair

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2015
As seen in a previous page, MLForAll figured it out. The Kexts are in OSXE1.3b5 but I will get back to him on where he used them and what needs to be changed.

You need to consider the MacBook 4,1 fully unsupported. I've tried beta's 5 and 6, installed kexts just like it said, and still no dice. I'm using the latest El Capitan public beta as well.

Honestly, It's okay if it doesn't get fixed. The Open GL experimental kexts gave me damn near full graphics support in Mavericks. It does everything that my ML partition did, except now I have iBooks and a better browser....plus security updates for an extra 2 years. Maps is a pain, let's not go there.

If you know something I don't about getting El Cap installed, let me know. If I'm going wrong somewhere, let me know. Why? Honestly I want to see how it does. Play with it a little. It was more stable than Yosemite on my Hackintosh. Maybe, just maybe, it'll be more stable here.

Adamscomputerrepair

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2015
As seen in a previous page, MLForAll figured it out. The Kexts are in OSXE1.3b5 but I will get back to him on where he used them and what needs to be changed.

You need to consider the MacBook 4,1 fully unsupported. I've tried beta's 5 and 6, installed kexts just like it said, and still no dice. I'm using the latest El Capitan public beta as well.

Honestly, It's okay if it doesn't get fixed. The Open GL experimental kexts gave me damn near full graphics support in Mavericks. It does everything that my ML partition did, except now I have iBooks and a better browser....plus security updates for an extra 2 years. Maps is a pain, let's not go there.

If you know something I don't about getting El Cap installed, let me know. If I'm going wrong somewhere, let me know. Why? Honestly I want to see how it does. Play with it a little. It was more stable than Yosemite on my Hackintosh. Maybe, just maybe, it'll be more stable here.

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010

It would really be nice to know how he has got OSX 10.11 running on the 20" iMac 4,1 (early 2006). Since the ATI X1600 Graphics Memory is displayed with 128 MB, the Kexts seem to work ....

img_0231-jpg.571807

Last edited:

RV-ABZ

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
Yes, but same old story: no full graphics acceleration, just framebuffer support (i.e. screen res).

Adamscomputerrepair

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2015
It would really be nice to know how he has got OSX 10.11 running on the 20" iMac 4,1 (early 2006). Since the ATI X1600 Graphics Memory is displayed with 128 MB, the Kexts seem to work ....

img_0231-jpg.571807

I wish it worked for me. If I make a HDD partition, I get "Yosemite is already installed" (I have Mavericks)
and I have zero touchpad support. If I try USB, it goes 2/3 of the way and gives me the circle cross. I'm gonna try adding the Touchpad driver from Lion. Maybe it'll at least get me through the installer.

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
I have zero touchpad support. If I try USB, it goes 2/3 of the way and gives me the circle cross. I'm gonna try adding the Touchpad driver from Lion. Maybe it'll at least get me through the installer.

The main issue is that the internal USB-ports are not supported, probably because Apple has dropped the support for older Chipsets. Therefore the internal/external Input-devices, Bluetooth and so on don't work. You can try to insert a HDD/SSD with OSX 10.11 installed via an supported Mac with both Boot.efi replaced and Remote Desktop enabled. See also my Posts #118 and #133.

ekripton

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2015
Hey guys. I did exactly as said, but when I reboot my macbook to start installing EC, I get this error about ACPI, anyone knows what can it be?

I'm using the GM version of EC, and the OSX Hackers 1.3 Beta 5, could it be related? Or my old macbook needs something else instead ;)

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

Screen Shot 2015-09-11 at 2.47.03 AM.png

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
anyone knows what can it be?

It's a Kernel Panic - a system crash like the "Blue Screen of Death" on Windows machines.

Try to install OSX 10.11 via FireWire, for the moment without OSX Hackers 1.3 and look if you can reach the OSX Welcome screen. Probably the Input-devices don't work at this point ....

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.