Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
The update to 10.11.1 has made a great difference to Cubase! With 10.11.0 Cubase would work but make no sound. With 10.11.1 it crashes on start.

Steinberg posted another update saying they have no clue how to fix stuff and advising we stick with Yosemite. Yeah. That's my punishment for a smooth sail through all updates (with short break when I had to use Google DNS servers) and feeling sorry for others who had a myriad of problems. Now I have my own. :p

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
As always, different people will have different problems with different OSes. When Leopard came out it rendered my LAN inoperative until the ".1" release three weeks later. Lion was second place for introducing problems. So for me those were the worst. As for El Capitan, it's the first new OS for which all my old software works, including Parallels 10 and even 9. Anything that wasn't working in the betas was either fixed by Apple or the app vendor. I don't see any bugs beyond what were in Yosemite and not fixed. I'd rate it the best version since Snow Leopard.
Thank you for your feed back.
I can only wonder why for my computer El Capitan is presently the WORST version since Snow Leopard.
Maybe my limited human understanding is not enough to fully understand it.

The impossible mixture of localized language words and English now used by El Capitan cannot be seen (of course) by all the people having installed and updated everything only in English.
Then, the list of NON WORKING applications is much longer than that of the working ones, as posted elsewhere in this thread.
Those which work are certainly NOT a problem but should be considered as normal. No sensible person bothers to tell others he has no problems unless explicitly asked to do it, as I did.

I have not read much about incompatible applications from people who updated their Windows 7 or 8 to Windows 10 while there are alone in this forum an incredible amount of posts complaining of non working software with El Capitan.
That is an undeniable fact.
I thought that Microsoft was the world champion of blunder and bugs...

That your Mac gives you satisfaction with the new upgrade is good for you.
I am glad for you.
However I am certainly not the only one in this forum not being as lucky as you are.

Again thank you for your experience.
Ed

Last edited:

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
I have used all of them and while Lion had the most bugs I am not impressed with Yosemite either because it has almost as many bugs.

While El Capitan does fix large part of Yosemite bugs it creates new ones, worst bug I have found is Time Machine which makes backups but can't restore files. It crashes every time I try to restore! Fortunately I installed it in an external drive for testing purposes because of prior bad experiences with Yosemite and if I had installed it on my Minis internal drive I would be furious!

I have to wonder how Apple didn't find this kind of major bug in testing??? Unless Apple improves its quality greatly I plan to stay on Mavericks into foreseeable future...

I'm glad I use Carbon Copy Cloner. V4.x is fully El Capitan compatible. I've never used Time Machine yet. I like fully bootable backups with zero hassle. If I need to restore a file, I can plug the external drive in and copy it back.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
I'm glad I use Carbon Copy Cloner. V4.x is fully El Capitan compatible. I've never used Time Machine yet. I like fully bootable backups with zero hassle. If I need to restore a file, I can plug the external drive in and copy it back.
I agree with the advantages of Clones.
When last Sunday I had the (very bad) :eek: idea to upgrade my Yosemite to El Capitan (at that moment still the original 10.11) with the naïve supposition that almost 3 weeks after its release, I could do the upgrade without worries, I saved all my System, Applications and data only because I had made before with CCC a clone of my entire Yosemite inner drive in an external USB HD.

Neither the so called Internet Recovery nor trying a Restore with my Time Machine worked...when I most needed their services! :(
(Could be that the 2 last backups made under 10.11 confused Time Machine)
:rolleyes:

After realizing how many problems I was now suffering (I could not even shut down the Mac in another way than with the ON-OFF electrical switch!), the clone drive allowed me to erase the inner drive and clone back Yosemite with all the Applications and data.
For unknown reasons however CCC did not offer me to get back my Recovery Partition...and I lost it.
However a friendly person in this forum gave me the link to a very useful old thread called "The Recovery Partition won't update". There I found the way to recover back the now lost Recovery Partition using the Terminal. :)

I still use Time Machine, but when I most needed its help it let me down...:oops:
Ed

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
The update to 10.11.1 has made a great difference to Cubase! With 10.11.0 Cubase would work but make no sound. With 10.11.1 it crashes on start.

Steinberg posted another update saying they have no clue how to fix stuff and advising we stick with Yosemite. Yeah. That's my punishment for a smooth sail through all updates (with short break when I had to use Google DNS servers) and feeling sorry for others who had a myriad of problems. Now I have my own. :p
navaira,
I deeply admire the equipment you mention at your foot note, used to send the post.
I wish I had myself enough money for such a dream hardware o_O
Ed

Reactions: navaira

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
important to remember that we're all having different experiences (unless, of course, a problem is truly global), based on our hardware, software...and perhaps, random gremlins). for me, the best moments in OS X history are 10.2 (because it was my first X), 10.6.8 (a great moment for speed and stability), and now 10.11.1...which is, so far, so good...

Given the number of discussions about Time Machine problems in Apple forum it seems that Time Machine in El Capitan is problematic. While it might work for majority of users having these kind of problems in released OS isn't exactly convincing.

I am fairly certain problem has to be in Time Machine or El Capitan because of these reasons: 1. Mini had its motherboard replaced a few months ago 2. I have tested Time Machine with 2 external hard drives and result was same, sure one of them could be faulty but seriously doubt both would be faulty... 3. I have tested Mini and hard drives with Techtool Pro and DiskWarrior, no errors were reported. 4. Problem manifest also in clean install which has no third party software.

While I agree that 10.6.8 was excellent unfortunately I cannot say the same about 10.10 or 10.11... I am starting to become very sceptical of Apples decisions regarding OS X (mainly iOSification but also removing previous functionality such as Disk Utility) and I might eventually have to move to another OS if this trend continues in future OS X versions.

I am aware of clones, which is the reason I use SuperDuper for backups and I no longer rely on POS Time Machine for backups. I might be persuaded to give TM another change if Apple improves its reliability massively...

Proginoskes

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2014
Tempe, AZ
I'm not sure whether this applies, but I think it fits best here ...

Carbon Component Manager is being phased out, starting with El Capitan, I think. This means if you do Java programming that plays music, you'll have to rewrite your code.

On the plus side, Maple 17 seems to be doing better; under Yosemite, it would lock up 50% of the time, and so far, it's locking up 0% of the time under El Capitan.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
My Presonus (Firewire 400) works in El Capitan 10.11.1 on my 2008 Macbook Pro and Logic Pro 9 appears to be working OK, but my M-Audio Midiman 2x2 Anniversary Edition doesn't want to play nice. Their web site says it's fine for El Capitan but even before this point I always had to unplug it and plug it back in after starting Logic Pro 9 or there would be this absurd input delay from my Roland Piano. In El Capitan, it shows up OK on a full boot or reboot, but the delay is there once again when I start Logic Pro 9. If I unplug/plug now, I don't get the driver back period. It just stops the input sensor LED and my Roland says Communication Error and it's "ghosted" in the Midi Control Panel in El Capitan. Rescanning, etc. doesn't work. I have to reboot to get it to come back and then it has the unusable delay problem again. Just lovely. I guess I may have to go back to Mavericks, after all. Actually, Logic Pro 9 worked best in Snow Leopard (i.e. less overhead meant more tracks before CPU ran out, but that was the only difference. Otherwise, Mountain Lion and Mavericks worked fine.)

Edit: OK, I found out some strange things by experimenting. First, I found that if I rebooted the computer but left the MIDI cables unplugged until it booted and THEN plugged them in, I got no delay the first time I ran Logic Pro. Exiting Logic Pro and restarting it resulted in the delay again, though. Nothing I did would get rid of it using those ports (B).

Then I tried something I've NEVER tried before. I used Ports A instead of Ports B. I never used Ports A for a very simple reason. The input plug is on the FRONT of the unit while the output port is on the back. Ports B have both in and out on the back. Thus, it looked so much better sitting on the piano with the MIDI cables coming out the back of the unit. Whatever is going on, though is apparently related to only the B ports. Using the A ports, there is no input delay period regardless if I exit or restart the Mac or Logic Pro 9. It survived waking from sleep too, but if I unplug the USB cable, I have to reboot to get it back. It will not recognize the device hot plugged for some insane reason. I think there's something wrong with the MIDI utility. If you even close the window or minimize it, you lose the window until you quit and restart. Something isn't right.

Edit 2: Yeah, it doesn't matter which ports are used. The problem is booting with the MIDI cables plugged in. It will delay on whatever ports are plugged in during a boot (only Midi IN matters to output to the computer for Logic synth control, though). Switching to the other set of ports afterwards cures the problem (but unlike previous OS X versions, I cannot unplug/plug. MIDI dies if I do that until I reboot. The latter is definitely some kind of bug. The Midiman is recognized by OS X in the USB port, but whatever controls MIDI won't pick it up except on a boot. Pretty frustrating, but I suppose it can at least be made to work. I'm going to send Apple feedback (for all the good it will do).

Last edited:

caprica21

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2014

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
I had RadioShark running with no sound and found that SoundStudio would play with the RadioShark input. Griffin Technology made a free sound editing program Final Vinyl available for use with their PowerWave input device . I tried it out and RadioShark began playing normally both through Final Vinyl and then after I quit Final Vinyl. The Final Vinyl App is still available here http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/9439/final-vinyl/download and here http://griffin-final-vinyl.en.softonic.com/mac/download#downloading

I couldn't get RadioShark to work either, and this trick of starting Final Vinyl, and selecting RadioShark for input seemed to get it working again. Strange. How in the world did you figure this out???

Beliblis

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2011
Not sure if this has been pointed out before, but:
Beware when using the new Keynote (Version 6.6) in ElCapitan. Any Keynote presentation created or modified by Keynote 6.6 will NOT open in 6.5.3 or any earlier "6" version of the software. Unless, of course, you export it in Keynote 09 format.

krendel

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2015
Release notes for this version mentioned support for El Capitan. Try it

Description: Full installation package - Mac OS X / Standalone installer (DMG)
Release: 4.2.00096
Release Date: 14/Oct/2015
File Name: anyconnect-macosx-i386-4.2.00096-k9.dmg
Size: 12.15 MB (12743533 bytes)
MD5 Checksum: 1f7c4486aeb8fb3d7c695ae90b76f319
SHA512 Checksum:
d6fcb80464a4d2d40fc75e7c8d81b15b91bbcd7ffee83a712584fbc4963f7900148bc0eda28342427a0361bff06893e0cd92a740af1e55ab0850a085ca582818
Thanks, but it was already fixed for me with one of the early betas. Working fine after release also.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I'm getting some really frustrating bugs on 10.11.1 with Pages '09. Something is off with page margins. Even when I set all margins to 0.5, text is abruptly cutting off and going to the next line. Like in this screenshot posted below, it should be "Deprecation Expense" but expense is getting cut off to the second line. This is the second document to have this issue today. Luckily, this one is just a basic comparison sheet and not an import document.

Screen Shot 2015-10-30 at 1.24.51 PM.png

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I'm getting some really frustrating bugs on 10.11.1 with Pages '09. Something is off with page margins. Even when I set all margins to 0.5, text is abruptly cutting off and going to the next line. Like in this screenshot posted below, it should be "Deprecation Expense" but expense is getting cut off to the second line. This is the second document to have this issue today. Luckily, this one is just a basic comparison sheet and not an import document.

View attachment 596989
The workaround (not a solution) is to add a space after "Expense" before adding a tab.

green1139

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2015
Most of the apps I use are here, but there are couple I use quite a bit that have not yet appeared as either working or not-working.

Insomniax 2.1.8
Sente 6 v.6.7.8
Papers 3
Notebook 4 (Circus Ponies) 4.0.6

Is InsomniaX Working? It worked for me after the upgrade, but I had to reset my mac, and so it did not work after I re-installed El Capitan.
Please tell me how to make it work even after turning off SIP.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
I loaded up Mavericks to see if my IR Receiver on my 2012 Mac Mini would appear (it's missing from the Advanced Pane in Security & Privacy in El Capitan on the Mini but it's present on my 2008 Macbook Pro in El Capitan). Mavericks showed the option to turn it back on (like it should). I turned it back on and booted back into El Capitan. System Information now shows the Apple IR Receiver in the USB pane, but the preference pane STILL does NOT show an option to turn it on or off. But since I turned it back on in Mavericks, I tried using my remote and it doesn't even recognize there's a signal coming to it in El Capitan.

Edit: I take it back, it DOES work now in El Capitan after turning it back on in Mavericks, but the option to turn it off or on in El Capitan is not there (I tried rebooting again).

Clearly, if you upgrade to El Capitan with your IR Receiver disabled (I disabled mine because I was setting it off sometimes from two rooms away with my AppleTV) you risk El Capitan thinking you don't even have an IR Receiver and if you wipe out your previous OS backup (or don't have one), you won't be able to get it back at all. And even though I have it back in El Capitan, I can't disable it again without booting into Mavericks (and I was kind of hoping to use that backup drive to backup El Capitan in the future, not keep Mavericks around forever just to have an enable/disable option working.

I sent feedback to Apple, but somehow I doubt they will give a flying crap (like usual).

Edit2: I found a post online that suggested installing Remote Buddy would fix the setting. It just so happens I have Remote Buddy from a LONG time ago before Apple had a "Remote" App for iOS devices (it allowed me to control iTunes from remote and send it to the AppleTV from my iPod Touch). I updated it to the newest version and installed it. Upon reboot, the preference pane was restored (Remote Buddy uses the receiver setting a lot to override remote control functions so I assume it does something that wakes it up). This is a WEIRD way to fix the problem, but at least it fixed it.

Last edited:

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Clearly, if you upgrade to El Capitan with your IR Receiver disabled (I disabled mine because I was setting it off sometimes from two rooms away with my AppleTV) you risk El Capitan thinking you don't even have an IR Receiver and if you wipe out your previous OS backup (or don't have one), you won't be able to get it back at all. And even though I have it back in El Capitan, I can't disable it again without booting into Mavericks (and I was kind of hoping to use that backup drive to backup El Capitan in the future, not keep Mavericks around forever just to have an enable/disable option working.

Maybe do a NVRAM/PRAM reset? Just checked here on my 2009 mini and the disable IR option is present even though it has been disabled for years and I've upgraded through El Capitan. The problem seems to be Mac model specific.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.