Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Does anyone know if yahoo! messenger work or not?

It didn't work with 10.11.0 (had a "NO" line through it as completely incompatible). I deleted it since I never use it and there are alternatives out there now that can use their network (or at least there used to be including Apple's own messenger client). They haven't updated the Mac version for AGES and show no signs of doing so. So whether it works with 10.11.1 or not, I can't say but I really doubt it. A quick search on Google indicates NO and says it's been broken since Yosemite (I skipped that one so I didn't know that's when it broke).

jblagden

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2013
I don’t know if anybody mentioned this, but Automator scripts seem to run slower than normal. Also, it takes longer to eject external drives.

Update: I solved this by resetting NVRAM/PRAM and SMC.

Last edited:

mrawise

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2015
UK
Hitachi StarBoard driver (I believe Version 9.5) ist not working.
Whole system crashes (automatic reboot) as soon as driver is loaded.

Until to today, Hitachi has not provided an updated driver on their site

Emailed Hitachi and they suggested a fix was coming with starboard 9.71 in November.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
None of my Wineskin winery-wrapped Windows apps worked until I disabled SIP.

ok. what happens if you re-enable SIP? i know apps like bartender (which i use), or liteicon (which i use to change system-level icons) need it disabled to install the app. then i re-enable SIP, and all is well. but not sure about wineskin wrapped apps...

ButteryScrollin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2014
wouldn't it be more useful to figure out your needs, then find out if that app requires disabled-SIP access? just curious what you're trying to figure out.. :D

I'm trying to figure out what OS X apps will not install/run correctly with SIP enabled, as i asked originally.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
ok. what happens if you re-enable SIP? i know apps like bartender (which i use), or liteicon (which i use to change system-level icons) need it disabled to install the app. then i re-enable SIP, and all is well. but not sure about wineskin wrapped apps...
When I re-enabled SIP they stopped working.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
The Mac Pro is a niche product. You are not important to Apple and neither is professional software. Consider moving to Windows if you want things to just work. ;)
Porsche is also a "niche product" among the eleven (!) motor car, bus and truck companies and factories all over Europe belonging to the Volkswagen Group.
Not because a line of production contributes with a small percentage to the total benefit of any reputable corporation, it can be ignored.
I cannot imagine that Apple might give up the computer products which were the beginning of their successfull career.
The latest Mac Pro released almost 2 years ago is still from many points of view an unique computer.
They have brought in the meantime a 5K iMac and are continuosly bringing new computers and related products for pro and non-pro users.

If the price that we pay for the quality of Apple computers and Apple software (although made by humans :( and therefore suffering many faults and bugs) is the fact that they make most of their money with cellular phones :rolleyes: I believe that that price is worth it. :D

We shouldn't forget that about 16-17 years ago...people considered that Apple was finished and Bill Gates generously "contributed" with 50 million dollars (if I remember right) to help the then dying patient Apple to endure its agony.
o_O
Ed

Last edited:
Reactions: jblagden

Scary Spice

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2015
British Columbia
Porsche is also a "niche product" among the eleven (!) motor car, bus and truck companies and factories all over Europe belonging to the Volkswagen Group.
Not because a line of production contributes with a small percentage to the total benefit of any reputable corporation, it can be ignored.
I cannot imagine that Apple might give up the computer products which were the beginning of their succesfull career.
The latest Mac Pro released almost 2 years ago is still from many points of view an unique computer.
They have brought in the meantime a 5K iMac and are continuosly bringing new computers and related products for pro and non-pro users.

If the price that we pay for the quality of Apple computers and Apple software (although made by humans :( and therefore suffering many faults and bugs) is the fact that they make most of their money with cellular phones :rolleyes: I believe that that price is worth it. :D

We shouldn't forget that about 16-17 years ago...people considered that Apple was finished and Bill Gates generously "contributed" with 50 million dollars (if I remember right) to help the then dying patient Apple to endure its agony.
o_O
Ed

Riwam, you fell for the troll-bait.

ha ha

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Riwam, you fell for the troll-bait.

ha ha

Sadly, it's not troll bait. It's the truth. And I really like OS X...a lot and I've always hated Microsoft, but the sad fact is that Apple doesn't give a crap about the Mac compared to cell phones and the Mac Pro is a small part of the Mac line. They used to treat it as a halo product along with their professional software that gave them bragging rights and people would go "ooh and ah" about movies and music being made on Macs and want one, even if they couldn't afford a rig that was powerful enough to do those things easily. But now the iPhone is the "halo" product and the Mac Pro is an after-thought. Final Cut Pro is a shadow of its former self (most places have abandoned Macs for film work as a result), Aperture has been totally abandoned, Xserve is DEAD and while Logic Pro is Apple's one shining star left, I gather El Capitan abandoned updating the Firewire Core Audio drivers so many older interfaces may simply stop working at some point (a lot of things did, especially in the 10.11.0 release). I've seen more complaints about OS X updates breaking things on the "flagship" Mac Pro than any other model Mac in the past few years. Apple does not properly test those machines because they're a tiny tiny portion of the machines out there. What bugs me is that Apple acts like they're a poor company that can't afford to hire enough quality programmers to properly manage all their OS and software maintenance and updates, which as we all know is a total load of horse manure. A company worth damn near a TRILLION dollars should be able to keep all these things STATE OF THE ART *AND* offer more products as well (e.g. a consumer desktop with real desktop parts and a real GPU to challenge Microsoft in the gaming department). Yes, it's lovely that they make so much money from their phones. What happens when they have an almost inevitable FLOP version? The stock will drop like a damn stone overnight.

jblagden

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2013
Sadly, it's not troll bait. It's the truth. And I really like OS X...a lot and I've always hated Microsoft, but the sad fact is that Apple doesn't give a crap about the Mac compared to cell phones and the Mac Pro is a small part of the Mac line. They used to treat it as a halo product along with their professional software that gave them bragging rights and people would go "ooh and ah" about movies and music being made on Macs and want one, even if they couldn't afford a rig that was powerful enough to do those things easily. But now the iPhone is the "halo" product and the Mac Pro is an after-thought. Final Cut Pro is a shadow of its former self (most places have abandoned Macs for film work as a result), Aperture has been totally abandoned, Xserve is DEAD and while Logic Pro is Apple's one shining star left, I gather El Capitan abandoned updating the Firewire Core Audio drivers so many older interfaces may simply stop working at some point (a lot of things did, especially in the 10.11.0 release). I've seen more complaints about OS X updates breaking things on the "flagship" Mac Pro than any other model Mac in the past few years. Apple does not properly test those machines because they're a tiny tiny portion of the machines out there. What bugs me is that Apple acts like they're a poor company that can't afford to hire enough quality programmers to properly manage all their OS and software maintenance and updates, which as we all know is a total load of horse manure. A company worth damn near a TRILLION dollars should be able to keep all these things STATE OF THE ART *AND* offer more products as well (e.g. a consumer desktop with real desktop parts and a real GPU to challenge Microsoft in the gaming department). Yes, it's lovely that they make so much money from their phones. What happens when they have an almost inevitable FLOP version? The stock will drop like a damn stone overnight.
It would also be nice if Apple would start putting Nvidia GPUs back into Mac Minis and MacBook Pros, as well as using a less expensive interface for Solid State Drives. The Mac Mini was a great computer when the hard drive was upgradeable and it had a CTO option for a dedicated graphics card. Also, the 2010 polycarbonate MacBook and the 2010 13” MacBook Pro had Nvidia GT 320 GPUs. Thunderbolt is great for connecting external graphics cards, but a built-in graphics card is a good option for for travel and and minimizing clutter.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.