Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
Victory

I downloaded it just fine (12 mbps). It took around 45 minutes to finish. Then I went to my mother's Mac; she has a DSL download speed of 1.5 mbps = success.
My Friend's grandparents are trying it using dialup (Still downloading)

JoeTheZombie

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2006
Idaho guy here on CableOne. Tried multiple times since yesterday, no luck. Today, changed the DNS to google (8.8.8.8), and it worked the first try. Go figure. Thanks for the idea, Yeti89. Cheers!

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
My Friend's grandparents are trying it using dialup (Still downloading)

Are they using AOL?

wow

Many attempts and work arounds, no success in getting this beta.

Idaho guy here on CableOne. Tried multiple times since yesterday, no luck. Today, changed the DNS to google (8.8.8.8), and it worked the first try. Go figure. Thanks for the idea, Yeti89. Cheers!

I even tried the Google DNS and no luck.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT

Confirmed that this works better than using a VPN. At least my speed is much faster than the VPN.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Yup.
Can't download at work or at home (commiecast) on 5 different Mavericks systems.

Even tried on ML system. It started, but then failed shortly after it started.

AH! Tried the google dns trick and it worked.

Last edited:

Keysersozeh

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2008
LA Area on AT&T Uverse. Spent last night and early morning with no success. Tried Google's DNS and ATT's.

I will go home and try VPNing to Canada to see if that makes a difference. Rather silly if you ask me.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I solved it!!

I have failed at least 50 times sincere yesterday.

Here is what I did.

I changed my DNS Server.

On another thread here I asked for people to share where the live if they were having the problem. I noticed no East coast locations.

I have Comcast and I also use an airport express. I opened airport utility and changed my DNS Server to the East Coast identifier.

I then started the download again and it worked. My browser acted slow and funny but the app store worked just great.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aiqu8aryxehj6g1/Screenshot%202014-07-25%2012.09.48.png

Hallelujah! That worked for me. Installing Yosemite now :cool::D

WB2Colorado

macrumors demi-god
Aug 1, 2008
Durango, Colorado
Download just failed for me again. I'm going to do what others have suggested and change my DNS settings to OpenDNS and see if that helps. Unfortunately I have to wait at least 10 hours to see if it does.

Last edited:

fhamadeh

macrumors regular
May 23, 2012
San Mateo, CA
Don't know if it's a happy coincidence or if this actually helped, but after several hours of trying I cleared my DNS cache and used the OpenDNS servers. My download completed without a problem.

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
I thought my download attempts had failed too. What I didn't realize was that after my first click on the redemption code it was actually downloading to Launchpad. Launchpad did not open on top.

For those that are having problems, check Launchpad and see if something is there. The installation gets launched from Launchpad.

Same here. The process appeared to have failed and there was no visual download bar on launchpad. I found the installer and its location by searching Yosemite in Spotlight. Once I went into launchpad from the spotlight result, the visual indicator appeared on the launch pad icon.

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
I tried throughout yesterday and this morning.

Then I grabbed a copy from a… non-Apple source. And when I tried to install that copy, it gave a message to the effect of "this copy of Yosemite can't be verified", which was sad.

Then I set it to try download from the App Store once again on my home computer, and also on my MBAir while I was at Starbucks, and on both it downloaded successfully.

I'm just now realizing how unhelpful this post actually is to anyone who's still having problems. Sorry.

Just keep reaching for those staaaarrrrrs.

edit: Also, I am on Austin U-Verse, and I never had any changeable DNS or Airport settings.

macmaml2

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2014
OpenDNS Solved My Download Issues

Don't know if it's a happy coincidence or if this actually helped, but after several hours of trying I cleared my DNS cache and used the OpenDNS servers. My download completed without a problem.

Another SF Bay Area Comcast subscriber who received the download error repeatedly throughout the night and morning. Never hard a large-file download issue before and AppStore always worked for me. My default DNS is Google's 8.8.8.8. Tried a variety of things including re-booting, clearing caches, etc.

Switched to OpenDNS, re-booted, and it worked perfectly. 25 minutes and the download was complete.

Cancelled
Jul 30, 2012
Maybe those poor ISPs are now getting choked with traffic from Apple and thus want to charge Apple like they did with Netflix.

On the other side of the globe in India, my download was over without a hitch.

kcwjr

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2010
Santa Fe, NM
This finally worked for me. Paused download which had just started. Changed DNS Server settings in Airport Utility to Primary: 68.87.64.146, Secondary: 68.87.75.194. Restarted download and then it started with slow but steady progress, and then it completed. Starting installation now. Must be all the west coast people trying the same time.

iPagan

macrumors regular
May 31, 2010
I still cannot get the download going. It's always stuck at 778 MB!

I don't have a router. My MBA is hooked to my iPAD Air via MyWi 7 USB connection. I went to my MBA's network setting. There, the DNS server is listed as 8.8.8.8, which is the Google server? How do I go about playing with the DNS server to get the download finished?

TIA.

iOSaddict

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2014
Of the 1,000,000 copies available, I wonder how many have been downloaded and installed.

Let's count: 1 :D

Pretty sure you're incorrect. :rolleyes:

----------

Downloaded just fine on the first try, got interrupted a few times due to dodgy internet connection but was able to continue on. :)

Jacksonc

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2013
Jony's house
I never got more than about 500MB. Now I just started downloading OS X Mavericks and Yosemite at the same time, and it is working. So far I have 1.15GB!

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
I got the e-mail, clicked the link, and it downloaded and installed in short order. I don't understand why people are having problems.

It's very simple.

What's to understand? The App Store is giving download errors to some users, regardless of them using the correct and only download method.

It's not like people aren't downloading it right or something like you seem to be implying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.