Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I'm not sure why so many people say it looks so horrible. I played with it a bit, and it looks pretty good. There's some very minor font hinting issues, but I'm sure that will be fixed by release.

The OS really does need a makeover. It was time.

DaveOlden

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2014
Victoria, Canada
I'm not sure why so many people say it looks so horrible. I played with it a bit, and it looks pretty good. There's some very minor font hinting issues, but I'm sure that will be fixed by release.

The OS really does need a makeover. It was time.

I tend to not notice the system graphics at all... I'm only aware of *content* and I just realized: The system-look gets out of the way and lets me pay attention to what needs my attention.

And that's the way it *should* be!

I like the new look, too :)

nicklad

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Nottingham, UK
Running on my ancient MacBook Pro from 2007 (oldest supported laptop). No longer a primary machine, so I figured to give it a whirl. Originally came with 10.4.10. I thought for sure Mavericks was the end for this, but I guess not!

View attachment 482209

View attachment 482210

Current performance seems akin to Mavericks, which isn’t bad. Haven’t noticed any other issues yet.

It's great that Apple is willing to keep the Santa Rosa MBPs chuggin along. :apple:

I have one too that I use as a second laptop when testing code, it shipped with 10.4!

Pleasing to see that it is still very usable in mid-2014.

It is a bit of changed beast from the original shipped back in 2007 though as I have:

• Swapped the trackpad for one from the early-2008 that had multi-touch.
  • Installed a 3x3:3 450 Mb/s 802.11n wireless card giving AirDrop (AR9380).
  • Fitted the Broadcom Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR card that came with the early-2008 MBP.
  • Fitted the newer hard disk that came with my 2011 MBP when that was swapped out for a SSD.
  • Fitted 4 GB RAM, it came with 2 GB.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Will my computer run more efficiently and faster?
Never mind that....check out the "new look".

Sigh...sometimes I miss 10.6.8.

With Snow Leopard, Apple said out of the gate that SL was all about working off bugs and making the OS run better. With SL there were no new features, no new "look", and (thankfully) no social media emphasis. Everything was about speed and efficiency. SL was by far, my favorite version of OS X to date.

Mavericks was the same though? Loads of performance improvements and no nonsense. Mountain Lion and definitely Lion were buggy and gimmick filled updates.

And for Yosemite, performance on my MacBook Pro 13" from 2011 is far better under the Yosemtie Beta 1 than it is under Mavericks 10.9.4. No bugs, more fluid UI, and faster performance in general tasks. Safari is much faster. Even little things like system settings open noticablly snappier.

Last edited by a moderator:

blancoBronco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2009
South Tampa
tried to install on my mid 2010 MacBook Pro. completely wrecked my hard drive now. people at the apple store couldn't even do anything to help. they said something about how having a passcode lock on my computer made the installer lock the hard drive beyond my passcode but no one there was exactly sure how or why that happened. HD is not partitioned, cannot quit installer, cannot continue install, do not have a backup of my files from within the past year. besides basically erasing my entire HD and starting fresh, does anyone have any sort of advice?

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
tried to install on my mid 2010 MacBook Pro. completely wrecked my hard drive now. people at the apple store couldn't even do anything to help. they said something about how having a passcode lock on my computer made the installer lock the hard drive beyond my passcode but no one there was exactly sure how or why that happened. HD is not partitioned, cannot quit installer, cannot continue install, do not have a backup of my files from within the past year. besides basically erasing my entire HD and starting fresh, does anyone have any sort of advice?

Yeah, start backing up your hard drive, or use Dropbox. There's really no excuse not to have automated backups these days.

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
To no one in particular:

DO NOT install Yosemite on your primary machine if you are not a developer. As a BARE minimum you should have extensive computer troubleshooting experience, TWO backups (preferably one time machine and one disk-image), and also you have a secondary machine or Mavericks partition. I've heard some absolute horror stories, even with Yosemite. Right now, it's much better than the first developer preview release was, but even at DP4 it still has many problems especially with some third party software. For example, my VLC app tells me that my version of OS X is not supported, which is to be expected since VLC wasn't built for Yosemite.

Truly, you're playing with fire if you don't know precisely what you're doing. Especially if you do it without a backup.

Thanks for the warning. I won't be running Yosemite before it is ready to be released, though. So no worries.

Wishing that the final Yosemite release will support TRIM for my Samsung 840 Pro SSD — or that Samsung will step up and release a TRIM enabler for it.

The final build will almost unquestionably work with enabling TRIM support for third party SSD's. Looks like what caused this is disabling loading non-standard kext files, so editing the kext containing modified kernel extensions for enabling TRIM would definitely cause a boot failure.

Last edited:

macsforever

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2014
Expose proper hasn't worked in years. However, what they call "Mission Control" and "App Expose" both work on my machine the way they they do in Mavericks. I use a track pad and 4-finger swipe up reveals all apps, windows, desktops and 4-finger swipe down reveals app specific windows.

Works FINE in Mavericks!!!!!

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
Works FINE in Mavericks!!!!!

It doesn't matter how many exclamation points and capital letters you use, I see no difference in how app expose and mission control work between yosemite and mavericks, at least between my mavericks and yosemite instances. If they work differently between yours, please provide a few screenshots so we can see what you mean, as an exclamation of exactly what you mean hasn't been forthcoming. Just a lot of exclamation points ;). If there's a bug in the implementation based on how you use it, it would be useful if you could share that bit of information.

macsforever

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2014
It doesn't matter how many exclamation points and capital letters you use, I see no difference in how app expose and mission control work between yosemite and mavericks, at least between my mavericks and yosemite instances. If they work differently between yours, please provide a few screenshots so we can see what you mean, as an exclamation of exactly what you mean hasn't been forthcoming. Just a lot of exclamation points ;). If there's a bug in the implementation based on how you use it, it would be useful if you could share that bit of information.
I'm sorry I just a beginner and I don't know how to do anything so yes you're right and I'm wrong thank you have a good day. I didn't know there was Apple engineers on MacRumors to give trouble tickets to ha ha Ha.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.