Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2006
I like Yosemite over Mavericks BUT...

I found Yosemite much snappier than Mavericks, even while running it on an external drive. The transparency is cool, but why not after all these years allow users to choose their own colours - nothing crazy, maybe allow users to choose more than blue and graphite under "Appearance" - more like Windows (I never thought i'd say that lol). Perhaps tint the window colour from just plain grey in a colour of choice?

Speaking of Windows, I think they should allow us to auto-hide the menu bar. If Apple loves minimalistic interfaces, I think that would make the desktop look much cleaner. Why not? The menu bar disappears whenever we run full-screen mode anyway.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Finally an interface revamp. I have not yet managed to install the beta version, but I am willing to. Windows is currently looking better than OS X.

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
Has anyone notice that browsing your iTunes media on my Apple TV is lighting fast now?

For example if I go to my computer and select movies the titles now show instantaneous. Before it might take a few seconds and sometimes I would get the progress spinner.

Cap41

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2008
With Mavericks, Safari had a button at the top of the browser that i could press to open a new tab. I can't find it now in the customize safari. Is there a way of getting that button back? so far only way i can get a new tab is File/new tab.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
How Apple went from getting more and more elegant and refined with their UI design, to more bland, cluttered, illegible... first iOS, now OSX?

wtf is going on over there, and is there any way of stopping it?
Yup. Don't upgrade.

"cluttered"? "illegible"? :rolleyes:

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Wow adnbek that's not good at all! How are you going to fix that?

Well the plan originally was to take it to the store to have it fixed or replaced. Still under warranty.

But I've reported the issue with the bug reporter so I'm wondering whether an SMC corruption can simply be fixed by a new SMC update. If so, I'll just wait. It ain't my main machine anyway.

minhcalla

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2014
Major Bluetooth issues

My mac gets mostly, if not completely unresponsive now. The trackpad constantly doesn't work or connects/disconnects/connects etc and the keyboard sometimes takes forever to show what I type and adds 10+ spaces in between words or adds multiple letters like holding down the key. Sometime gestures don't work. I narrowed it down to the Bluetooth relationship. I did a clean re-install but it's still happening. Anyone else have any ideas on a fix or have this problem too?

I have a:
late 2011 Mac mini
2.5 ghz i5
4 GB ram
430 GB free space hdd

sumsingwong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2012
With Mavericks, Safari had a button at the top of the browser that i could press to open a new tab. I can't find it now in the customize safari. Is there a way of getting that button back? so far only way i can get a new tab is File/new tab.

Just use the + symbol located in the upper right hand corner of Safari.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis

Looks like the actual button has been removed. I even tried customise toolbar - nope still not listed. You'll have to use Command T for new tab for the time being. Send some feedback via Feedback Assistant

----------

Sorry if this has been asked before, where is the installation file saved to, so I can delete the 5 gig file, after I have set it up on an external drive?

Thank You in Advance

Also bare in mind if you download the file and then install the OS, the original installer file is wiped. So copy it from Applications when downloaded to back it up and make a copy before starting the install.

----------

Just use the + symbol located in the upper right hand corner of Safari.

Obviously he prefers then keyboard shortcut, but your advice is also a workaround.

----------

My mac gets mostly, if not completely unresponsive now. The trackpad constantly doesn't work or connects/disconnects/connects etc and the keyboard sometimes takes forever to show what I type and adds 10+ spaces in between words or adds multiple letters like holding down the key. Sometime gestures don't work. I narrowed it down to the Bluetooth relationship. I did a clean re-install but it's still happening. Anyone else have any ideas on a fix or have this problem too?

Do a PRAM reset to flush out all the extraneous data from the system then try again - support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

----------

Also noticed with the new Safari it loves to hide the full page web link, and just uses the reference to website. Any way to disable this?

minhcalla

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2014
Do a PRAM reset to flush out all the extraneous data from the system then try again - support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

----------

I appreciate the help but Apple specifically states here http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4323 that this doesn't help bluetooth problems. Also, the article you gave fixes other issues but doesn't mention bluetooth.

----------

----------

I appreciate the help but Apple specifically states here http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4323 that this doesn't help bluetooth problems. Also, the article you gave fixes other issues but doesn't mention bluetooth.

Aquaporin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
USA
I should have never installed this beta! Not because it's not nice but because I forgot to backup my HD.

!!!

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2013

----------

----------

- If you upgraded an existing install from Mavericks, then try deleting the cache files.
- If you did a clean install then it may just be an app you use. I have a 2011 Mac Mini too and I have no issues

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
Do a PRAM reset to flush out all the extraneous data from the system then try again - support.apple.com/kb/ht1379 I appreciate the help but Apple specifically states here http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4323 that this doesn't help bluetooth problems. Also, the article you gave fixes other issues but doesn't mention bluetooth.

I deal with these issues frequently. You remove the Bluetooth from Network and restart the system and re-add if not automatically re-added. That's it.

BrooklynAl

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2011
Tabs Safari

As indicated already you can use the "+" key on the right corner but an alternative is to simply use keystrokes...CMD + T......

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
1. It looks a lot like Ubuntu (an older Unix based OS).

2. The Helvetica Neue font is harder to read and sometimes looks a bit jagged on my non-retina display especially in 'Dark Mode' where it's bolder.

1. How can someone say that is.. there's no words. A) it is way refined than everything canonical did, b) Ubuntu is a shameful, low class copy of OSX. Only elementary is worse.

2. That's a punch in the face for MBAir users. Apple's stupid decision of keep selling bad screens (in a 500$ PC, not to mention on a 1500 $ Mac) will bite them. I hope they fixed it, as they did with iOS 7.

helicoil

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2013
beta

only restore the apps and documents you absolutely NEED to have (For example, I only restored my iTunes and iPhoto library from my Time Machine backup).

Blimey, if iTunes and iPhoto are the only things you "absolutely NEED" the whole beta test thing is a bit of a waste of time.

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
According to this article TRIM should NEVER BE ENABLED - as it can cause system boot failures - http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/apples-yosemite-beta-dont-use-trim-with-ssd Additionally all MacBook Air's have TRIM enabled by default.

If you want to enable it at your own risk- follow below:-

1. Remove your current Trim Enabler and “org.Cindori.AuthHelper” in /Library/PrivilegedHelperTools, and redownload the app
2. Add this boot argument to remove the kext block (run in Terminal):
sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"
3. Reboot
4. Enable trim using Trim Enabler
Wait ~1 min
5. Rebuild kext cache manually using this command in terminal (wait for it to finish):
sudo kextcache -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions
6. Reboot again

Thanks for the warning. I won't be running Yosemite before it is ready to be released, though. So no worries.

Wishing that the final Yosemite release will support TRIM for my Samsung 840 Pro SSD — or that Samsung will step up and release a TRIM enabler for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.