Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
federighi instead to take acting classes should work to make a true new OS instead to bloating around and slowing a perfect OS that he received when he joined apple, yes snow leopard. this time he have the new ive's eyes killer UI in his favor but still the old same ****.
I'm sure he would have been fired long time ago if steve jobs was still alive.

Stop embarrassing yourself. Craig is a a fellow NeXT Alum who was paramount in Enterprise Object Frameworks and much more of NeXTSTEP. His positional advancement in Apple is directly from his knowledge, proven leadership and talents, all of which Steve had seen for well over a decade himself.

----------

Well ten years is a long time in technology my friend!

Ubuntu is a forked version of Debian Linux, so they had an additional 15 years of foundation to draw upon.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
You're saying that is our job to tell Apple that their own apps don't work? Call me crazy, but I kind of think that maybe , just maybe they should have checked them themselves.

An operating system is big...really big. Apple Does lots of their own internal testing; but Apple can't possibly be expected to come across every use case scenario.

The point of releasing a public beta is to let as many brave souls as possible try the new OS, and let Apple know about issues so that the issue can be sorted, prioritized and hopefully fixed prior to the final build that is sold (even if at a cost of "free") to the masses, the bug reports will also help Apple know what to get packed into OS updates that get released later. Really if you are using a Beta you should be helping out this way. Also, feedback helps Apple to know what to prioritize. Remember in Mac OS X 10.5 ("Leopard") how Apple had ditched list view from the Dock folders. only to be brought back because lots of feedback told them that it was an important productivity feature of the operating system?

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Not so.

https://appleseed.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/faq

Then there is this:

https://appleseed.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/legal

This all makes sense. But this is a public beta. And I think it falls under the category of "is generally made available to the public by Apple". In saying this people post videos and screenshots of Apple Developer Previews all the time. If Apple was going to go all legal on the people who do it, they would have started a long time ago.

Apple realise once a software is in the Developer Preview realm it's going to be splashed around everywhere. And they are ok with it.

Yes so. Seems pretty obvious that your not suppose to do the things that was listed. Even though they may not do anything about it now does not mean they won't. Do so at your own risk.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
I've got a non-retina display, and I think Yosemite looks GREAT! Of course, there are plenty of icons and areas that are still obviously unfinished, but in general, the OS looks beautiful.

MacBook Pro 2011 here.

There's an easy explanation for the divergent reactions:

• The "Yosemite looks great" crowd are the ones with retina displays.

• The "Yosemite looks crap" crowd are the ones without retina displays.

----------

What's the build number of the public beta? DP4 is 14A298i

RedRaven571

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2009
Pennsylvania
I think it looks pretty good and, even though installed on an external FW drive, it's pretty responsive. A little slow to boot but, again, it's on an external drive.

Wake from sleep seems more quick than Mavericks and wifi is instant on, no delay whatsoever. :)

...and I have a late 2008 MBP, no retina screen here.

Last edited:

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2012
How's the Photos app? Comparable to Aperture at all? Non destructive editing? Decent amount of options that can keep close to Aperture at all?

myname70

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2014
I installed it today. So far so very good. Just did update (not clean install). The Ms Outlook , parallels etc work perfect as before.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
You're saying that is our job to tell Apple that their own apps don't work? Call me crazy, but I kind of think that maybe , just maybe they should have checked them themselves.

Well not even Apple can test for every issue with every app run under OS X that exists in the world. A lot of the obscure bugs are found by the beta testers. And a bug found is a bug fixed (by devs that actually care that is).

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
How's the Photos app? Comparable to Aperture at all? Non destructive editing? Decent amount of options that can keep close to Aperture at all?

Photos.app has not been released as a beta/DP yet, it's still internal at Apple. We probably won't see any DP's until the fall.

JLL

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark

Apple usually don't release betaversions of their own apps (with the exception of iTunes and Safari).

You will probably have to wait until Yosemite is released.

bigmikeinnj

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2010
River Forest, IL.
I Decided to continue with the download and installation, it went quite smoothly. It's a different look, I haven't been using it for more than a half hour but so far so good...

beez1717

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2007
Earth
I don't know why we are having issues with silverlight but I'm hearing that is the case. I really don't mind though because I typically either watch my movies on my iPad or my Samsung Galaxy S4 most of the time. Why didn't I ever catch on? Oh well. It's not like this is a big issue for me.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
How Apple went from getting more and more elegant and refined with their UI design, to more bland, cluttered, illegible... first iOS, now OSX?

Beauty of an opinion is that we all have one and it is our right for them to be different. Such as in this case I find the newer Uis to be way better looking than the old. For iOS and OS X

spitfirehaz

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2014
Network Sharing Issues

Has anyone experience issues discovering their computer running Yosemite Public Beta 1 from a Windows computer on the same network? On my MBP running Yosemite I can see other macs but I cant see my windows computers. And from my windows computers I cannot see my mac.

Everything was running fine with Mavericks. I have
  • Restarted both computers
  • Restarted my network
  • Checked the workgroups
  • Checked that both ethernet and wifi are recieving and sending traffic
  • Checked shared settings

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
What this article doesn't address is the systemic download failure rate part of the process. Many users experienced issues with getting their codes.

You do understand that this software is likely not being served up on the main systems and therefore might not be primed to handle the bulk of 1 million folks trying to get the beta basically at the same time. Because that is likely what is going on

dbrandt6

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2007
Michigan
Interesting observation concerning Messages....

I know 'blue' bubbles designates iMessage and 'green' bubbles are SMS.... all my iMessages contact photos are accurate (same as photos assigned to my contacts in the Contacts App), but my SMS contacts are not. For some reason their photo has been substituted with someone else.... and always the same 'wrong' picture. Also.... for the last two days when I am attempting to send a message to SMS contacts, when I hit return... nothing happens. This is on my Mac.... on the iPhone (OS 8).... (no pictures of course)... but I can send to SMS contacts with no problem. Any ideas?.... or just wait for next Beta update? By the way... this is the DP4 of Yosemite that I am using.

Steve01234

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2014
TRIM mode disabled in 10.10

TrimEnabler is removed and place in disabled apps folder. if you try to enable it you'll have a non-booting OS. its possible to remove trim enabler via command line in recovery mode :(

you need to tell apple loud and clear that disabling TRIM except for apple supplied SSD's is 100% un acceptable. use the feed back form and be loud and clear about it. its your hardware you have a right to have full performance of it and not have it crippled by apple greed.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
So far I'm very happy I installed it. A few of my older programs didn't work, but I expected that. There seems to be an inconsistency in the design, though. Apple's own pro apps, for instance, still have their old interface in Yosemite, while most third party apps look fine.

Apple hasn't released updates for those apps for 10.10 outside of functional issues they might want tested so that makes sense.

----------

Only major issue I am seeing so far is the lack of ability to save to iCloud in Pages and iWork apps even when you opt out of iCloud drive.

That would be because for those apps iCloud drive = iCloud

----------

federighi instead to take acting classes should work to make a true new OS instead to bloating around and slowing a perfect OS that he received when he joined apple, yes snow leopard. this time he have the new ive's eyes killer UI in his favor but still the old same ****.
I'm sure he would have been fired long time ago if steve jobs was still alive.

So when is AsclepioOS going to be out. I want to be sure to try it out

----------

Scott Forstall, the creator of OS X Aqua interface and the father of iOS was fired and now Mr. Ive, the hardware designer is in charge of software design as well. That's the reason behind these changes.

And some of us are of the opinion that that is a darn good thing cause Forstall's stuff wasn't that awesome.

----------

Apps like Final Cut Pro X, Aperture, iMovie, and Pixelmator also do not appear to be fully functional.

How ironic that several "Apple" apps have issues with Yosemite. Really Apple? jeeez... Doesn't give you much confidence.. :rolleyes:

You mean they have issues with a beta due to not being updated yet. Yeah that is a real crime.

----------

I don't know why we are having issues with silverlight

Silverlight likely hasn't been updated for 10.10 compatibility since it is supposed to be unnecessary. And since 10.10 is not yet 'on the market' Netflix has little reason to flip the switch on non silver light support just yet. So stuck we are at this point.

----------

TrimEnabler is removed and place in disabled apps folder. if you try to enable it you'll have a non-booting OS. its possible to remove trim enabler via command line in recovery mode :(

you need to tell apple loud and clear that disabling TRIM except for apple supplied SSD's is 100% un acceptable. use the feed back form and be loud and clear about it. its your hardware you have a right to have full performance of it and not have it crippled by apple greed.

You do understand that this is a third party app you are talking about. Which hasn't likely been updated for 10.10 etc. So it's not Apple you need to be yelling at.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008

I have to agree with this poster. Apple should handle TRIM whether it is their own drive or a 3rd party. We shouldn't have to depend on outside software to engage the hardware properly. - Whether this is Yosemite or an earlier OS.

As for the OS "look," I guess to each their own. For me, I see very little to praise about the new look and feel as it doesn't improve my experience at any level. It is not bad looking just not an improvement. There seems to be a new blur between Apple and Windows as well as some Linux GUI offerings. I'll admit I don't particularly find iTunes or Safari "easier" to use but certainly usable and for a person new to Macs (not myself), it really doesn't serve up an intuitive interface in some areas.

For those that love the new look, I am happy for you. For some of us, well we are just a bit different in opinion and that happens when something is released to a wide variety of users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.