Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
The one thing I don't understand - why the hell is Apple converting the primary storage device to a CoreStorage LVM? It makes no sense, and just causes problems for anyone that doesn't have a standard configuration.

Infernos

macrumors member
Something tells me that the folder/system icon set in Yosemite will be different in the final release. I could be wrong of course. It's just that it looks like a bad-designed linux icon theme (and there are tons of them out there).

That's my thought. The color is horrible, but I expect it to be tweaked at they move along in testing. If I still don't like it when the final product arrives, I'll change it to something else. There are a few other visual aspects that I wish had a little more granular control to them, but functionality is a priority right now.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Apple bases too much on simplicity, which hides additional information which is useful for bugs / troubleshooting. They should have a special mode that only advanced and tech support can access, to read the logs and errors and submit these for investigation - it's not that hard to do. As I say sometimes simplicity causes more complexity - especially when it all goes wrong because its all hidden behind the scenes.

It's called "Terminal", and it does everything that you just described. ;)

sualpine

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2013
Could you be any more dishonest? Your Windows screenshot is showing a possibly canned UI idea that was not meant for public display and your Yosemite screenshot is 95% wallpaper and doesn't show the UI at all.

That screenshot is the current concept of Windows 9's start menu.

No dishonesty at all, it is the comparison that consumers will see when walking into stores like Best Buy next year.

CaliAzian

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2013
Arizona
Pleaase give details on the performance - how does it run? Any major hiccups? Do you have SSd installed?:cool:

Performance has been good so far. Did a clean install with Mavericks, then upgraded to the beta. Seems quick, with no big hiccups at the moment - although I have had a couple sleep/wake issues. It's currently using a 7200rpm HDD, which I plan to upgrade to an SSD soon.

Mtmspa

Suspended
May 13, 2013
I am going to install on an old external drive. I will expect much better performance with the final version on my Mac mini fusion drive.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Installing mavericks on my work-iMacs took 3-4 hours. Somehow I cant believe that Yosemite takes only half an hour according to some users here. Well, time is gonna tell...

It took me 18 minutes to install Yosemite on a 2013 MacBook Air. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't sat here and watched it myself.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
You have it backwards. Office 2011 not working on Yosemite is not Yosemite "not being prime time." It means Microsoft needs to get to work on their official release fixing incompatibility.

I don't know. I kind of disagree. Unless the issue is security related I think Apple should take more care not to break "major" third party apps like this that were working just fine prior. It just rubs me the wrong way.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
That's the idea. You tell Apple certain **** is not working in your beta. Apple fix all the issues before the final release is out. Betas will have bugs. Bringing them to the attention of the devs is our job.

You're saying that is our job to tell Apple that their own apps don't work? Call me crazy, but I kind of think that maybe , just maybe they should have checked them themselves.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
First impressions of 10.10 public beta...

...are good!

Installed without any problems, and feels different yet familiar in a nice way. Had to download updates for:

- Little Snitch
- Total Finder (just to test it works, but haven't really been using since multi-tabs in 10.9)
- Total Spaces (still love this as a replacement for Spaces in 10.6)
- Bartender

but the only things I've found that don't work are iStat Menu and MS Lync. Not a big problem on my home desktop, although Lync would be missed on work MBA.

No problems with VM Fusion or Aperture which I'd read didn't work in earlier DP versions.

csixty4

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Somerville, MA
Apple bases too much on simplicity, which hides additional information which is useful for bugs / troubleshooting. They should have a special mode that only advanced and tech support can access, to read the logs and errors and submit these for investigation - it's not that hard to do. As I say sometimes simplicity causes more complexity - especially when it all goes wrong because its all hidden behind the scenes.

/Applications/Utilities/Console.app

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
Okay so I've been playing around with it for a whole day. The new look definitely takes a little while to get used to, but the more I use it the more I like it. It's definitely not a finished product, but it's actually pretty useable.

I'm running it on a separate partition, no problems here. Opted not to activate iCloud Drive yet as I'm still using Numbers a lot between my Mac and iPhone.

I'm running Yosemite on a 2010 MBP 13", and I'm not sure if it's my older hardware or just the beta, but I'm having a few stutters and slow-downs while dragging windows across the screen. Also, what's up with the pink gradient in the Safari top bar?

But probably the best thing ever is that Apple FINALLY fixed the long drive eject times. It takes ages to eject my USB drives in Mavericks, but in Yosemite they eject instantly :D

sualpine

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2013
I don't know. I kind of disagree. Unless the issue is security related I think Apple should take more care not to break "major" third party apps like this that were working just fine prior. It just rubs me the wrong way.

You suggest API's never change? Then you'll never get a new operating system.

sillypooh

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
Helvetica Neue!!!!!

For the love of all that is good and pure, bring back Lucida Grande. Anything but this atrocity. What were they thinking???? :mad:

Rogzilla

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2007
You're saying that is our job to tell Apple that their own apps don't work? Call me crazy, but I kind of think that maybe , just maybe they should have checked them themselves.

Why do you think they have Beta tests? That's how they find things out. Sure, they get things working on their own machines, but they cannot replicated the infinite number of possible issues that might come up. That's why you have groups of people test the software for you, so you can identify major issues that didn't arise in your tests.

sillypooh

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
There's an easy explanation for the divergent reactions:

• The "Yosemite looks great" crowd are the ones with retina displays.
  • The "Yosemite looks crap" crowd are the ones without retina displays.

Not quite.
Using Helvetica Neue could have been "fine" on a phone screen, retina or not. But it's not good on a computer screen. The distance between your eyes and the screen is different. And it has nothing to do with the screen being Retina or not. Yes, letter shapes are clearer on Retina displays, but with the distance, the difference is minimal. It's a typeface that is not meant to be read at normal screen uses (10 - 12 points). It's gonna be a frustrating experience for the reader.

----------

They were thinking how could we make everyone happy but sillypooh?

Hardly!
Tobias Frere-Jones and Erik Spiekermann both agree with Sillypooh... :p

http://www.fastcodesign.com/3031432/why-apples-new-font-wont-work-on-your-desktop

http://gizmodo.com/designers-explain-why-apples-new-os-x-typeface-is-a-str-1585123982

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
There's an easy explanation for the divergent reactions:

• The "Yosemite looks great" crowd are the ones with retina displays.

• The "Yosemite looks crap" crowd are the ones without retina displays.

----------

What's the build number of the public beta? DP4 is 14A298i

I think it looks great and I don't have a retina display...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.