Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
You do understand that this is a third party app you are talking about. Which hasn't likely been updated for 10.10 etc. So it's not Apple you need to be yelling at.

The problem is that Yosemite prohibits modified (unsigned) kernel extensions.

Since TRIM Enabler works by patching the IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext, it's not possible for it to work on Yosemite , unless you enable a special dev mode. It's not just a case of the maker of TRIM enabler updating their software!

I agree that Apple needs to provide a way to enable TRIM for 3rd-party SSDs. There's no reason not to enable it. The current situation is just silly.

Asclepio

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2011
Stop embarrassing yourself. Craig is a a fellow NeXT Alum who was paramount in Enterprise Object Frameworks and much more of NeXTSTEP. His positional advancement in Apple is directly from his knowledge, proven leadership and talents, all of which Steve had seen for well over a decade himself.

oh shut up, since lion he is doing an embarrassing work.

ksuyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Am I the only one who loves the new Spotlight so much that I have been using it as the central of my operating system? I want to run any apps, just cmd-space and type the first letter for example... or I want to find information about certain things, the Wiki is there... or I want to find that email from last week...

I hope Apple extend and fortify the Spotlight to make it powerful (like to include the simple algorithm AND, OR, etc). As for right now, I can almost use it for everything else.

Note: I also see this as the end of Apple dependent on Google Search. If you check the preference, only Bing search is listed. I still hope they include Google search but as optional only.

GatorGhost

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2014
Looks Good a Mac Pro Retina

About to download it to my MacBook Pro but worried about bugs. Still doing it though:)

I found no issues on my MacBook Pro Retina and the graphics are great. However, on my iMAC 27 with the 2560x1440 screen the system fonts are a bit tiny...even after selecting increasing the contrast check box in the accessibility settings...the system fonts are a little hard to read at times. Even my third party scanning program works as it normaly would. I have no program issues at all in any app. I am not in any way a DEV user, but all is good with a business and personal user as I am.
Getting used to Yosemite and really like it.

Rumple

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
I had it going for a bit but mine has a wifi bug. Seeing how my mac mini doesn't work with ethernet anymore it's useless to me. Was fun for a moment. Mine had a lot of graphical glitches in system preferences. Other very odd things as well mostly visual. Overlapped text two icons when downloading iPhoto. My partitions looked good. Got iCloud up and running even sent in one report last night, but no wifi can't anymore.

I noticed the Yosemite beta icon is still in my application folder. Is that normal? Wonder if I could erase my partition and reinstall it. Wonder if I should drag it to my desktop somehow. I'm afraid if I erase it, it will disappear.

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
at first it seemed to run fine but more recently it is infinite beach balling me on selecting or deleteing mail and on some web page loading and especially after waking from sleep. have 2013 mbp retina, all top options checked.

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
Some minor graphical glitches here and there but all in all nothing show stopping. I quite the like the new look, and kudos to Apple for still continuing to support older machines. Looking forward to watching this release grow as we get closer to primetime. :)

Rumple

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
Erased the partition. Reinstalled the beta still no go. Just can't detect any networks when it scans even in the intro for setup. Must be the download. Had it going for a bit last night though so that's odd.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
Well finally installed, however Outlook launches by the main window for emails does not show correctly. I'll have to wait for an update, but in the mean time will use Mac Mail for the first time ever.

Also, as some people know Apple love to pack all the different global languages onto Mac OS X. Well I only want english installed. I use a programme called Monolingual - costs nothing and freed up 1.6GB by only choosing English and deleting the rest of the languages.

JLL

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Typical stupid reply. You should not have to refer to Terminal because Apple decided to hide everything for "simplicity".

That's not hidden. It seems that YOU wan't simplicity.

There are hidden folders in Windows too.

As noted by others, Console in /Applications/Utilities gives you access to log files.

ChillEChill

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2014
it looks pretty bad on my non retina macbook pro 2012. jumping from yosemite to mavericks is like a breathe of fresh air because of that. i hope they manage to do something about that.

oskarbull

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2014
Aha. No worries, was just wondering if I wrote something wrong somewhere!

Here's where the suggestion can be interpreted as if the beta can be faster than the public release:

"Thus far, most users have not noticed significant performance improvements going from Mavericks to Yosemite, but that could change as Yosemite is still very much in a beta form."

geoffpalmeruk

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2013
Downloaded and installed in the las hour or so. Itunes 12 is better, a few graphical glitches here and there on the OS and slightly more laggy than mavericks but none the less a great improvement.

Lannoc

macrumors regular
May 30, 2011
Just downloaded and installed in about half an hour on my late 2012 iMac.

So far so good

rm2092

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2008
I did download the Public Beta and I am only able to get the tool bar in Dark Mode but not the doc, I did restart my computer but still no dark mode for the dock so any ideas ?

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
After two days use, I've still had no issues with Yosemite. Seems rock solid to me. Now, I'm not exactly a power user - my main apps are Mail, Safari, Calendar, Notes, iTunes, etc. Plus Quicken Essentials. I also run Dropbox, Parallels Access and access my Mac remotely via VNC. No problems with any of these apps. Everything does seem a little faster than with Mavericks. My Mac is a 2012 Mac mini with 8GB of memory and my access is through WiFi using an Apple Airport Extreme.

Explorz

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Simple Partiton Question

OK, I've got a basic question, the answer to which is probably obvious to most. But I can't seem to wrap my head around it.

If I install the Beta on a partition, and boot into that partition, will I have access to all of my normal applications and data?

Will my email accounts all be there when I open mail?

If I use the Beta over the next month or so, what will I lose when I delete that partition when I'm ready to upgrade to the final release over Mavericks?

I saw an article that said not to transfer settings to the Yosemite Beta when I install it on a new partition. That seems like odd advice.

Thanks for guidance.

Last edited:

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
I would pretty much assume no. But as in previous years, vmware is pretty good about issuing there own developer version that should work

Logged into my vmware account (used for testing versions not available with work ESXi/vCenter software) and downloaded developer preview. I usually use Parallels as it runs much smoother on OSX but don't really run it on my Haswell 13" rMBP. Its installing right now and for the first time since I got this laptop 7 months ago, I am feeling heat on my lap. Not sure if its Yosemite install or Developer Preview (I'm assuming its vmware since as I stated I'm not a fan of it on OSX)

Yes, I'm using it with Fusion 6 now. Be sure to install vmware tools. Compatibility may not be 100% as video is not smooth and performance is a little slow.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
Noticed 3 things so far:-

1. Option Key on Boot shows no Recovery HD - Only Macintosh HD
2. Disk Utility in Internet Recovery mode indicates drive issues that could result in boot problems but it cannot fix
3. Disk Utility in normal mode shows no such issues on drive at all

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Is there a way to let the Mods update the article? I had my SMC corrupted by the update (2013 macbook air) due to not being plugged into power when I installed Yosemite.

I was at 100% battery capacity and besides the standard warning (with any OS upgrade or update) that it's recommended to be plugged in but not required, SMC updates require you to be and no such warning was given and had no clue an SMC update was even included at the time of installation.

So let this be a warning to anyone else upgrading since, with some Mac models, an SMC update will take place and you MUST be plugged into power for that or risk a corrupt SMC as a result. (my CPU temperature sensor is now disabled so fans stay at idle no matter what the CPU temp is. SMC reset does not fix this.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.