Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

locojay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
hi WOL does not work on osx lion.

I tried this using ddwrt or using apple remote.

putting machine (2010 MP) to sleep under apple remote desktop works but waking up does not.

under energy saver i have wake for network access checked

waking up using keyboard works but i need to have the ability to use wol
any idea?

many thanks

amityweb

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2010
Wales
Same here... In SL I could always see my computer in Apple TV and my Splashtop desktop connection app in the iPad. Following upgrade to Lion, when it goes to sleep I cannot see it in Apple TV or my desktop connection app. As it's two floors up it's quite a chore to wake it up every time I need to stream from it in ATV.

amityweb

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2010
Wales
I have an update.. With SL I used Ethernet and turned Wifi off. Now I have lion, I noticed wifi was on aswell as Ethernet. Would lion turn wifi on when it installed?? Since using either one of wifi or Ethernet I can stream to AppleTV and see my computer in my remote desktop app, and the apple remote app works too. So I wonder if having both wifi and Ethernet caused this issue, and lion turned wifi on?
I have not left my computer alone long enough to see what happens after the hard drive goes to sleep, but it looks more promising than before.

amityweb

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2010
Wales
I think this was one of my issues, its been fine now I have disavled wifi and stick with ethernet as it was before the upgrade.

As for the sleep issue... I have had to set Computer Sleep to Never. Now the issue is fixed. The thing is, I dont remember setting it in SL. So either it worked OK in SL even when in Sleep, Sleep did not work in SL, or Lion set it to 30 minutes when I upgraded. Either way, something has changed, but I fixed it by Never putting the computer to sleep.

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
I think this was one of my issues, its been fine now I have disavled wifi and stick with ethernet as it was before the upgrade.

As for the sleep issue... I have had to set Computer Sleep to Never. Now the issue is fixed. The thing is, I dont remember setting it in SL. So either it worked OK in SL even when in Sleep, Sleep did not work in SL, or Lion set it to 30 minutes when I upgraded. Either way, something has changed, but I fixed it by Never putting the computer to sleep.

I'm also trying to get the fabled wake up on network activity to work.

Telling it never to sleep hardly fixes the waking up problem.

Is this supposed to work? Do you need to have an Apple router?

pbrooks

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
When you say WOL doesn't work, are you not able to discover the remote computer at all? It's working perfectly for me without any reconfiguration after installing Lion. Are you sure you're not experiencing the new "low-power wake" feature?

I copied this from Apple's Lion site...

Low-power wake
In OS X Lion, your Mac can wake up for services such as file sharing, backup, and more without the need to turn on the monitor or attached USB devices.

This is a great idea.

amityweb

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2010
Wales
No it does not work for me.... if Computer Sleep is set (I had 30 minutes) once this happens you cannot see the computer in AppleTV, Apple Remote, Crashplan Backups, SugarSync, or VNC/Splashtop Streamer (I did not try anything else). I waited to see if the computer wakes up but it did not. This occurred on Wifi and Ethernet. I have the setting to wake on network.

I am sure in Snow Leopard I did not changed the setting for Computer Sleep to Never (I may be wrong though). I am sure it was the default and it just worked. I have two iMacs, one at home and the office and they were the same (although Home was copied from Work). If I did change it then Lion changed it back.

But I am now concerned about having the computer always on.

amityweb

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2010
Wales
Wake on Ethernet not working for me either.

I like Lion, I prefer Mission Control and am going to get used to the reverse scrolling which makes sense actually, and because all I use is OS X and iOS. But it does have its issues, not just these I reported but a few other glitches.

You will get this with any new OS released I think, the test is how quick they will fix and release updates :)

basher

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ USA
I had the same issues as the OP. Fixed, for me anyway, by turning off WiFI on my MBP. WoL just fine when the MBP is running a wired network connection.

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
Wake is working fine for me. Both wired and wireless. I found that wake over wireless only works if my MacBook Pro is sleeping with the screen open. If I put it to sleep by closing the lid it won't wake up. If I put it to sleep, with the screen open, via the menu, it works fine.

I have an Airport Extreme base station which operates as a bonjour sleep proxy so it handles the actual wake on LAN packets.

pumpkinwhite

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2006
WOL works in Lion but only in low power mode.

WOL (over ethernet) in Lion seems to be waking up the computer only in low power mode. Only apple services (like file/printer sharing etc.) turn on, but the computer everything else (any applications running) remain off. I can see the computer on my home file sharing network, but any applications remain off.

I think this is why some people are thinking that WOL is not working. Visually on my MBP only thing that changes is the blinking front light turns off. This is a 'feature' in Lion (low-power wake).

The problem is I don't want to use the 'low-power wake' feature. I want to remotely log into my mac via logmein or teamviewer. Those apps do not start till you hit a key on the keyboard, and the computer wakes fully.

Any way to turn-off the 'low power wake'?

InfiniteLoop

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2005
Mine doesn't function at all on my wired iMac

I am on wired on my new Mini and it will wake up for some, but not others. For example it will wake up when I try to ssh to my mac. But it will not wake up when I try the access a web page I am hosting on it. I am wondering if it is possible to configure it so that I can select the TCIP ports to wake up on?

Rhuston502

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2011
I'd also like to know how to disable low power wake. Seems that there is no way to WoL remotely to use Teamviewer until we figure out how to disable it.

soundbyte

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2011
Log Me In Fail

JUst got this from customer support at Log Me In:

Thank you for contacting LogMeIn. The LMI software does not have the ability to wake up a computer unless if qualifies for the WAK on Lan features. So you will have to make sure you change the sleep settings on your host computer.

Guess they haven't heard about Low Power Wake.

So just how much power is 32" iMac using when it's awake?

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Has anyone had any luck with this? I can no longer find the setting for WOL on my MBP and LogMeIn will no longer wake my laptop up when it is sleeping... help?

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Go to System Preferences, Energy Saver. There you'll see "Wake for network access"

Okay thanks, I was looking there but under the Battery Option and it only seems to show for Power Adapter Option. It was already checked and last night I tried LogMeIn again while computer was plugged but LogMeIn shows it as offline. On SL, I used to see the computer as "sleeping" and had the option to turn it on. This doesn't seem to be true for Lion... anyone get it to work?

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2011
NL
Solution (at least for me)

In the network preferences pane, setting all the options to 'inactive' except the one to use does the trick for me. Wakes up perfectly over lan, didn't try over the net though...

trick.png

Reactions: kerosene

Smacky

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2008
Didn't work for me unfortunately. Made the change, rebooted and let it sleep overnight. Next morning couldn't wake it over wifi with my MBP. Seems its the duration of sleep which determines whether it will wake or not

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.