Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a2gin2

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2009
Hello all,
Like many of you I am having a terrible time w/ WOL. In short, I have a 2010 mini running 10.7.4 connected via wifi and, if I let the computer sleep for any meaningful period of time (lets say 1+ hrs, but I haven't timed it), I cannot get it to wake at all.

Here is a quick overview of my setup:

• Router: Netgear WNDR3700 v1, running DD-WRT build 18007
• Mac Mini: 2010 running 10.7.4
• Mini has a static address assigned in the DHCP server.
• Have followed the tutorial for DD-WRT WOL over internet at http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WOL
• WOL port 9 is forwarded to 192.168.1.254 (the broadcast address).
• "Wake for network access" is checked on the mini
• darkwake=0
• All network "Services" (e.g. ethernet, firewire, BT) have been set to inactive, with the exception of Wi-Fi - the only service used (see post #22)

If I send the mini to sleep, either by a remote command or by going to the apple menu --> sleep, the mini sleeps. If I try to wake it up shortly thereafter, that works fine too. In fact, I can wake the computer by using a WOL command on my LAN (either from DD-WRT's WOL page, or from a WOL app on another computer and/or iOS device), or from the internet using any one of a number of WOL web sites, or (most importantly) using iNet Pro in my iPhone over 3G. This indicates to me that the router is working correctly and routing packets to the right places.

Problem: If I leave the mini sleeping for more than an hour or so, nothing works to wake it; neither over WAN nor LAN.

I have not (and pretty much can not) try this with the mini wired via ethernet. Right now, my only solution is to leave the mini running all the time.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Skinnydude

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2012
I updated to OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion on my Mac Mini and it seems to wake up with my DD-WRT router's WOL command through Wi-Fi. I wonder if they fixed this issue with 10.8. Has anyone else updated and seen improvements?

It could be because of the new Power Nap feature that stays in sync while the Mac sleeps. The website says power nap requires a notebook with SSD, so I'm not sure if it works with my Mac Mini.

Last edited:

andyjamescarr

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
WOL (over ethernet) in Lion seems to be waking up the computer only in low power mode. Only apple services (like file/printer sharing etc.) turn on, but the computer everything else (any applications running) remain off. I can see the computer on my home file sharing network, but any applications remain off.

I think this is why some people are thinking that WOL is not working. Visually on my MBP only thing that changes is the blinking front light turns off. This is a 'feature' in Lion (low-power wake).

The problem is I don't want to use the 'low-power wake' feature. I want to remotely log into my mac via logmein or teamviewer. Those apps do not start till you hit a key on the keyboard, and the computer wakes fully.

Any way to turn-off the 'low power wake'?

I found this worked

http://www.iteleportmobile.com/support/wake

xz4gb8

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2012
Wake Fixed in 8.8.4

From the 8.8.4 Release Notes:

Bug Fix
• Incoming Timbuktu connections can now successfully wake a computer whose monitor has entered Display Sleep mode.

EmpyreanUK

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2011
I have a small update on this issue.

A few days ago, wake for network access suddenly began working on my 2011 iMac, using Wifi with an Airport Extreme. I had changed absolutely nothing: all settings were the same, I hadn't performed any resets, updates, nothing. It simply began working. The iMac would reliably appear as a shared device in the Finder sidebar on my laptop, my iTunes library would appear on my Apple TV and on the Remote app on my phone, and media content would reliably begin playing when selected. All of the iMac's Bonjour services would continue to be advertised. The only thing that didn't work was 'Back to my Mac': the iMac would appear in Finder, but I was unable to connect for either file sharing or screen sharing.

I am almost certain that the iMac was fully asleep during all of this (rather than turning the display off but secretly staying awake, a problem I was having with 10.8.2 but which was fixed with the 10.8.2 supplemental update). When I accessed the iMac's iTunes library on the Apple TV, there would be a few seconds of delay before the available media was displayed (presumably as the Mac was awaken and then firing up the external HD with my iTunes library); whenever the iMac is actually awake the media displays immediately. The iMac's system log is empty apart from RTC maintenance wakes (whereby the Mac periodically wakes to renew it's network and Bonjour sleep proxy registration). There were also none of the 'SPS registration failed. Now sending goodbyes' messages I have been getting when the iMac's services fall off of Bonjour.

And then yesterday it stopped working. Again, I changed nothing. In fact, the only difference at my home between yesterday (not working) and the day before (working!) was that my girlfriend returned from a short holiday.

I obviously didn't draw much by way of a causal link between these two elements at first, but after mulling it over it seems to me that she either emits some kind of Bonjour sleep proxy scrambling force field, or it's her Windows laptop that is ****ing up the whole affair (she is on her laptop at almost all times when at home, but obviously it was switched off whilst she was away). She has iTunes on her laptop with home sharing switched on, but if I remember correctly she refuses to install Bonjour (not knowing what it is or why she would want it, which seems fair).

The Windows variable is not completely satisfactory, though, as when my iMac's sleep proxy registration fails, it is often overnight (the 'SPS registration failed' message will usually appear in the system log when we're both asleep).

Yet I can't see how this can be a gigantic coincidence, and would prefer not to pursue the force-field hypothesis, and subsequently dump her in favour of my iMac, until I have eliminated all other possibilities (I want to have my cake and then eat it).

After having meditated upon the matter, I have formulated a couple of theories as to how this infernal laptop could have been crapping in my porridge for the past year which, based upon some other retrospective observations I've made about my recent golden age of wake for network success, seemingly explain the fact the SPS registration fails overnight whilst the laptop is not being used, but I shan't go into them now, as their suppositions and probably aren't relevant or helpful.

Obviously I want to press ahead and test my hypotheses, yet the matter is fraught with the risk of diplomatic incident. Given that I yesterday told my girlfriend, recently returned from her holiday, that I did not wish to speak to her because I was busy watching the Apple keynote, my political capital regarding computing matters is low and she is thus not likely to entertain my suggestion that we keep her laptop switched off for one month so that I can perform a thorough test.

Before hiding it/smashing it/uninstalling iTunes from the laptop, and thusly setting off a sequence of events I am incapable of predicting, let alone controlling, I would like to enquire on here as to whether there is anybody else who is also having problems with wake for network access who also has in common the factor of an INFERIOR and RUBBISH Windows system running GLORIOUS Apple software on their network.

Thank you in advance to anybody who gets back to me!

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Obviously I want to press ahead and test my hypotheses, yet the matter is fraught with the risk of diplomatic incident. Given that I yesterday told my girlfriend, recently returned from her holiday, that I did not wish to speak to her because I was busy watching the Apple keynote, my political capital regarding computing matters is low and she is thus not likely to entertain my suggestion that we keep her laptop switched off for one month so that I can perform a thorough test.

Your post made me laugh - thank you. I just wanted you to know that the energy you spent writing that epic story was not entirely wasted! I have nothing worthwhile to add to the conversation (I am having WOL troubles as well, unfortunately) but I did want to thank you for making me laugh. That is all.

kerosene

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2008
Solution (at least for me)

In the network preferences pane, setting all the options to 'inactive' except the one to use does the trick for me. Wakes up perfectly over lan, didn't try over the net though...

trick.png
This works perfectly for me now both for my ethernet and wifi LAN. Black MacBook with OSX 10.7.5, in a local network with a more modern MacBook Pro, after trying a lot of other things before. Thanks a lot!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.