Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bugfaceuk

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2005
BRLawyer said:
Sorry, you don't get my point, then...

1 - "Their friends" are increasingly using MacOS, and Apple's mindshare is at its highest point nowadays; everyone knows now how bug-ridden and malware-infested Windows has always been, and how streamlined OS X has become...what we call in Economy as "information asymmetry" is being fixed in the personal computing arena, and fixed fast.

It would be foolish to disagree withthe statement that Apple's mindshare is at its highest point, it clearly is. I would also argue that it is likely to increase. However, people don't always pick the best solution and asymmetries can be maintained by, say, a new version of Windows that claims to "sovle security".

You're right, they are increasingly using OS-X but the ratios are pretty small, and it would be a total stretch to claim that outside of certain industry circles that most people have good friends (good enough to feel comfortable repeatadly asking for help) that are Mac users. I won't argue that it won't come, but certainly in the UK that would be completely untrue.

BRLawyer said:
2 - If by "free download" you mean "pirated software", it's obvious that Windows has a bigger market...but with growing IPR enforcement in many countries, fewer people are willing to take that risky road.

Besides, if you look at most people's directories (even mine), you'll see that the only commercial programs that were NOT included with Macs are MS Office and a couple of games. OS X, bundled apps and iLife more than cover most users' needs.

I absolutely do not mean pirated software. I mean little screen-savers, mini-helper apps, executables that come on music CD's (sony, and universal still do not ship with windows versions of their little media players when do put them on their CD's).

I agree, 95% of what they need is available (possibly more), but most people don't want what the need! They don't want to get by. They want THAT, and they want it right NOW.

I didn't say people were reasonable ;-)

BRLawyer said:
3 - Kids want games, but not all users are kids; in addition, the PC game market is shrinking to almost microscopical levels now. The game market is represented by the console business, not desktop PCs, either Windows or Mac OS. Even then, almost all blockbuster titles are already ported to Macs, with very good performance in newer machines such as the iMac G5. Call of Duty plays perfectly fine on mine, by the way.

That's just not true, I work in this particular industry and it's completely wrong to say "almost all blockbusters are ported to Macs". Add to that (and either you don't have kids, or you have the bestest kids in the whole wide world) kids aren't good at "waiting for the port". Call of Duty 2 runs just fine on my PC by the way.

It's also wrong to say the only market is the console market. I could whine one with stats but this year two of the largest grossing games until very very recently were PC only (The Sims 2, 53 weeks in the ALL FORMATS top 10, and until recently, a Windows only game, and no, that doesn't include the console variants). Don't confuse "one month" chart wonders with the really really big numbers.

BRLawyer said:
4 - Safari/Camino have been perfect in at least 99% of the sites I visit...Internet Explorer is just dead meat by now, and no user would ever need it apart from a tiny number of badly written pages; this is no excuse anymore to any prospective user.

You're right again, I can't think of a site I've been to recently that doesn't work with Safari OR FireFox [including variants]. I do have to switch which one of those sometimes (Safari works with 95%, Firefox picks up the remainder). However, as you say the incorrect mems have got out there, and people just don't believe that. Coupled with, if the one site you want to go to is IE only, you're screwed.

BRLawyer said:
5 - My "aging father" got a Mac Mini from me, and he is simply thrilled by how things work well on a Mac...he was able to print on his old HP without any special drivers, his dial-up connection never fails, he doesn't care about viruses or malware, and he has a handful of nice freeware games to play with...in other words, he cannot even remember his PC anymore. It just WORKS, and most PC users have just started to discover this, instead of suffering forever in Gates' inferno...

My "aging father" would love the Mac, however he loves gardening and the web-site he frequents doesn't work on Safari, and has issues in FireFox. He also runs a garden design app that has years worth of data in it, that isn't available on the Mac, and he can't export the data. He doesn't play games, he could almost do everything he wants, but he can't do it all.

Again, I know he would love the Mac, it would save him all kinds of hassle, but just like my wife, my kids, and 90% of the people I've been evangalizing about the Mac too over the last 9 months (and believe me, I do that A LOT). I have convinced some, and they now are evangalizing too, they've boght the vision. I think the next stepping stone for Apple is getting over a "to come" 10% hurdle, if they get past it most of my "windows wins" points will just fade away. But they do need to get past it.

bugfaceuk

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2005
steve_hill4 said:
My point exactly, but Apple are missing out on a big slice of the older pie with limited to no Mac Classes around. If there were as many as PC based computer courses, the sales within the grey community would soar. They want something easy, relaible and good value for money. You can explain your way around the cost, as they work out great value for money compared to an equivalent PC, you can explain how easy and logical they are, you can also explain the reliability and security of them. If they however mention computer classes, you know you won't win because they will be taught Windows and won't want to detract from what they are taught.

I think that's right, it's part of my "knowing people to get help", there is not the same "support network" for Mac users. The genius bars are great, but the are not in every town.

I'm not sure the cost argument flies anymore mind you, I find my Mac very very very cheap to buy (even the iMac is stunning value for money in my book). Most importantly it chews through fewer Watts than my PC too, so ongoing savings there :) In my mind Apple hardware is well priced these days, the intel switch won't hurt that any either.

metallama

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2005
The Switch

Hey I am one of the Windows mac converts. With all the converting i hope that the hackers and virus coders don't start to attack the mac. That would be a :( day. I like the whole idea of the mac and how everything is propriatary, and all that technical stuff. I don't know why more people have these nuggets of technology.
Joe :n)

bugfaceuk

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2005
steve_hill4 said:
Everybody, relax, take a deep breath and realise that this topic is about switchers. I for one would like to get back onto that particular subject rather than the merits of MS vs Apple.

I know a lot of older people for one that would switch, if they only held more basics/help classes for the Mac. They don't care about compatibility with their friends computers, they don't care about the latest games or gadgets, (but since most new printers, cameras etc are Mac ready, should be fine if they did), they don't care about free downloads and such. They merely want a safe, easy system that will allow them to write letters, browse the internet, send email and not much else. When you point to the iMAc, they say they would, if there were tutorial classes available.

Difficult to set up with less than 5% of computers sold are Macs. Hopefully this will rise enough to warrant classes in Mac OS being available and this could lead toa snowball effect. I really think the system is better for these people than Windows.

Absolutely. that halo needs to become a snow-ball. I also think that IF Apple make it pretty easy to get Windows onto the new Mintels that well help, if someone builds a "Windows in a Window" app with emulation (ala VMWare) I truely believe Apple could be in a "home run" situation. Vista actually presents some really really interesting possibilities here. Have your "VMWare" PC running, but only interface with the composer, and render onto OS-X windows the Vista compositions... viola Windows Apps running in OS-X. Anyhow, that's way off, but Windows in a Window VMWare built-in would be fantastic, dual boot would help a heap.

The biggest thing holding back a switch is often "don't want to run a KVM to ensure I don't miss any of my old apps that I'm really used to".

Of course, overtime they would forget they even exist.....

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
I'm one of 'em. Well, kinda. I was on a G3 333MHz iMac for like 6 years and I was like OK, ima get a portable iBook, sick of this slow $h¡t... and here I am now.. :D

qtip919

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
"Wow. Impossible to crash? Shall I start with a halting theory mathematical proof of why that's not actually possible?"

Um,

you know nothing of managed code do you...?

Managed code means you could easily crash a segment of the OS, but not the entire OS. Its both Physically and MATHEMATICALLY impossible

The point is that while Apple is building on the Unix variant, and outdated an ancient OS architecture, Microsoft is putting its full strength behind a next generation of Windows based on advanced programming languages and techniques which will put OS X to shame.

I know exactly what Apple is spending the bulk of their research $$'s on for their next generation set of OS ideas, and believe me, it is less compelling than I would have imagined.

Again, the whole point of my post is that Apple has begun to find success in the marketplace by impressing its users with fancy little UI elements such as Expose (which is a blatant copy of someone else's idea) and glossy icons

(both of which I LOVE) And they are relying on these very things to continue to bring them success...they need to step it up a notch

Now, Apple's programming environment, on the otherhand, is enough to make me want to hide in a corner and cry...why is it that I find so much success using the .NET frameworks!?! Im quite tired of MS, believe me, but I still cannot believe how much more advanced they are at delivering developer tools...

By the way, this is exactly what makes the xbox360 so compelling...my experience with Sony gaming development has been nothing short of a complete nightmare...however, you have to deal with it since they own the bulk of the market...still, development time is cut nearly in half by MS development tools...

ack_mac

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2005
Northern VA (DC)
qtip919 said:
wow, you really walked right into that one genius...

lets see...what haaas microsoft achieved through 90% marketshare?...hmmmm....well, how about a company that has revolutionized the economy...how bout a multiBILLION dollar industry. How about total dominance in the enterprise email space, office solution space, etc. etc.

but wait! we have ipod and itunes...yipeeeeee!!!

Wow, that just great...why dont you go check the numbers on what microsoft made last year on enterprise license agreements for Outlook. Then go look at total revenue for Apple and tell what you think about the health of this company.

Hype is sometimes more dangerous than you think...and this is a company thriving on hype and speculation. In the long run, its not healthy for the company.

you may not realize this because your Apple OS home computer is the beginning and end of your knowledge of what the computer world has given you, but Microsoft has stimulated the economy in ways you cannot possibly imagine.

Oh, but the UI sucks and Windows crashes all the time!

big deal, that's not what makes money...in fact, the OS is rapidly becoming abstracted from the entire equation. Microsoft provides a PLATFORM FOR DEVELOPMENT...they could care less, and we all realize this, about your user experience. THAT is in the hand of the mryraid of people who are to develop and application for your various needs. Its always been a blank slate, and now its becoming evident that nothing else matters outside of stability. Imagine this, Microsoft releases an OS with less than 1,000,000 lines of code, done ENTIRELY in managed code. Guess what, it would be impossible to crash such an OS...why? you wouldnt understand...

Is this on the way, bet your life...is Apple busy developing something like this? No. The reason: Apple does not have the capability. They are now tied directly to an outdated OS which is managed outside of their direct influence. The move to get off of OS X is inevitable, and it will be interesting to see if it can actually get pulled off.....believe me, difficult times are ahead for the Mac OS, we are just enjoying a small space of time where the OS is still meaningful...hardware and software developer toolsets will always define what really matters in the end. And by the way, if you didnt realize this, Apple just jumped on the same train that Windows is on...get ready to experience the same exact hardware available on windows...wow...now we can all revel in the external case of the computer, windows computers will be made of cheap plastic and Apple computers will be made with Aluminum or some other fancy thing...thats about where the differences will begin and end

Like it or not, software development is moving towards a thin client world. Everything hinges on pulling it off, even Apple will make this transition and is further ahead on this than you would realize.

The Sun Google partnership is changing things, and Windows Live has alot more behind it than you know

The OS is never going to generate the $$ that wallstreet or apple really needs...if Apple wants to move to the next level, they need to compete with something more meaningful than a handfull of windows 98 users who can barely survive email and web surfing in the first place.

Apple did a great job with iTunes, now they will need to do something equally revolutionary to some other part of the as-of-yet-to-be defined part of our economy.

First of all, you need to go take your medication and calm down. Talk about a genius, your not very convincing with any of your arguments. First of all, read my post again and get your facts straight. Nowhere did I mention that Microsoft does not dominate the marketspace (I think I mentioned that Microsoft will continue to dominate the marketspace as well). Some background on me. I have both an MCSE and numerous Unix and Linux certifications. I used to be both a Microsoft (NT/2000) administrator, as well as a Sun OS admin. I recently switched to Apple (never used one, never owned one until about one month ago). I still continue to use Windows everyday. I am now a computer security engineer, and I live and breathe for my job (lets just say that I like what I do).

Just because Microsoft dominates the marketplace does not mean that they have the most innovative or best product on the market. Just because GM sells the most cars globally every year does not mean that they have the best cars on the market. Why can't you understand that? Do you even really own a Mac? My point was that Apple may not own the marketspace but, in my opinion, have the best operating system. It looks better, it runs better, it is much more secure, significant updates occur much more quickly, and it has set the bar for OS's that Microsoft is trying to achieve. We all know that Apple is not for serious gamers. I happen to own an Xbox, and look forward to buying either an Xbox360 or a PS3.

I also think that it is not healthy for one company to own 90+% of the marketshare, in any industry. I would love to see more applications ported over to the Mac and to see more Mac clients at the corporate layer. The majority of the clients that I have worked for are very frustrated with trying to patch, secure, and maintain Microsoft products. The industry has been talking about thin client for years, and I have no doubt that Apple is looking into this, this is not news. As for secure coding, please do not talk about things that you do not understand. Talk about setting yourself up, you want to use Microsoft's name in the same sentence with secure coding? Microsoft is trying desperatly to change their poor coding practices, but if you try to tell me that Microsoft, or any company for that matter, has a plan to develop "magic" code that has zero vulnerabilities, you are flat out wrong. Why? Becasue what makes something secure today will change tomorrow. You may develop the most secure application or operating system in the world, but the minute you send information over a wireless network it becomes insecure immediately. I work with folks who can literally take control over any network at the router layer based on vulneraibilities that are not even known to the public.

For the record, I don't hate Microsoft. Without Microsoft, the computer security industry would not exist as we know it today, and I could even be out of a job. I think that Microsoft has some pretty decent products out right now. They have acknowledged the shortcomings of 2000/XP and are working towards a better OS. The thing is, that better OS is already on the market right now. It is called OS X. You don't think that Microsoft is not worried about Apple? What if Apple decided to license OS X to Dell, HP, Gateway, etc? You do not think that Microsoft would lose marketshare in a hurry? I realize that this is a whole other topic, but stop putting words in other people's mouths, and talking about things that you read about when trolling through Slashdot. Oh, and don't forget to take your medication before you reply to this...

mbopy22

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
I've passed to the BRIGHT SIDE OF COMPUTER TO!!! MAC RULES...

In a world full of DOORS... Who needs Windows.. or Gates... :D

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
BrandonSi said:
I'm one of them! Glad I did it too. :D

Three years here after switching to Mac, and only had to reinstall the OS after I tried to work OSX as I did under Windows. Compared to the three or more reinstalls of Win XP (even with blockers and the such) on my ex's WinBox.

If the new Macintels allow for dual boot, I will only do i if I can have separate HDD's. Right now MS can not be trusted to try and keep us "safe".

CaptainHaddock

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2004
Nagoya, Japan
A few more Windows refugees

I switched a bit over a year ago, and my wife just switched from Windows to an iMac this fall after envying my own iMac for so long. (Yes, we've always had our own computers.) My days of fighting with my computer seem to be over. :)

I agree with the guy who didn't want Apple's market share to grow too big. I think 10% would be a sweet spot. As long as Apple remains a smaller player, they can keep innovating and pushing the envelope, unlike Microsoft.

hardrock

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2005
Wolverhampton, UK
I agree

Captain Haddok and ack Mac... both are right. Apple do quality not qantity...
You can see Microsoft as a Tesco's... they pile them high and sell them cheap... However Tesco's does actualy have good quality!

I hate microsoft with a passion.. there should be more variety in the market...
That is why im switching to a new iMac... (when it arrives! grrr apple do need to get their delivery systems into place!)

Ive seen and used apples, they look much better... and to be hoest its he UI which you live with day to day... not the motherboard or the the hard drive... or even the processor... I hate XP so much ive skined it to look like an apple, just to numb the agony of using it!

Nobody's commented upont apples move to intel... there are +'s and -'s however as long as Apple demand a chip as brilliant as the G5's but without the heat, they should be fine!

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
hardrock said:
Captain Haddok and ack Mac... both are right. Apple do quality not qantity...
You can see Microsoft as a Tesco's... they pile them high and sell them cheap... However Tesco's does actualy have good quality!

I hate microsoft with a passion.. there should be more variety in the market...
That is why im switching to a new iMac... (when it arrives! grrr apple do need to get their delivery systems into place!)

Ive seen and used apples, they look much better... and to be hoest its he UI which you live with day to day... not the motherboard or the the hard drive... or even the processor... I hate XP so much ive skined it to look like an apple, just to numb the agony of using it!

Shame that many hide behind the need to be compatible with the likes of MS Office when approached about the Mac.

There are few programs that 80% of the computer users need that won't run on a Mac. It has been said before, but Mac's just work. I like not having to think about DLL's and the such.

Nobody's commented upont apples move to intel... there are +'s and -'s however as long as Apple demand a chip as brilliant as the G5's but without the heat, they should be fine!

Hey it is just a processor! The only concern I have is that going Intel on the new Macs will mean users see the BIOS bootup.

With the right coding and the right chip, we will wonder why we ever thought the PPC processors were so great....

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
arn said:
Can you really assume that growth from last year to this is due to switchers?
Arn, I think you hit the nail on the head.

Statistics can be made to say just about anything one wants them to say.

The assumption they make is very suspect. So therefore, any conclusions drawn from the data would be suspect as well.

P.S. But I wish that it were true! :D

Sushi

boomshanka

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2005
man this argument never dies .

i really don't know how people can just close off one platform in absolute favour of the other .

i use a pc at home for general use (games/design/music) and a mac at work (design) .

at home i prefer XP because it seems to be more accessible - but it has some limitations .
at work the mac goes ok and workflow i think is good:confused: - but again has limitations .

it seems most of the people in this thread have discovered the perfect operating system . good for them . i know i haven't .

Been using macs for 18 years. Ipod's I am sure have made people look at the Mac were as they would not have taken a second look. Our office used dell's but when one switched to a mac mini they have all done the same. Once they get on it they love it for its simplicity and ease of use and lack of crashes, as for the dell's were always frezzing. Thats not to say Mac's are the be all and end all but with this huge influx of funds to Apple it has given them the resources to improve. I think we are all in for some nice surprises in 2006:D

RobHague

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2005
Have you noticed how the biggest 'feature' of the Mac is always the part that gets made fun of?

I mac is so easy to use its a 'childs' computer. If you stop and think for a moment, to be a real computer you have to have a system that is security prone, harder to use, needs lots of maintenance, service packs, needs 3rd party software to keep it virus and malware free... usually falls over more times than its up...

If you can acomplish the same task on both systems, yet its easyer and more user friendly on one... that surley makes it a smarter choice, not a 'childs' choice. :confused:

20050608.jpg

CTRL+ALT+DEL are still funny, I forgive them. But anyway...

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
The cartoon above illustrates just how poorly informed the average IT professionals are when it comes to Mac OS X.

A "professional" computer requires untold numbers of "professional" staffers and maintenance time before it can be used in a "professional" office environment.

They MUST be able to eavesdrop on everyone's workstation to make sure that their employees are not wasting valuable company resources.

Apparently no one has told them that you can access the company database
running Mac OS X with no possible risk to network security from viruses, adware and spyware.
Even though those same "professionals" have not discovered several hundred malware files bogging down their "professionaly" maintained
Windows NT workstations.

Fortunately there are still those who prefer to think outside the box.

maestro55

macrumors 68030
Nov 13, 2005
Goat Farm in Meridian, TX
I think the growth is the fact that OS X is such a good operating system, and has people get the Ipods they begin to learn about Apple and they end up purchasing and Apple computer. I am not saying that over 1 Million of the sells are switchers, but I am saying that it has to be a pretty good number of switchers.

Now the real question is where to classify me. I started using Apple computers at a young age, but have also used Windows and now linux as my primary system. When I get a Powerbook that will be my portable system and I won't have much use for my Windows machine, but I suspect that I will still use the linux boxes.

We talk about switchers, well what about us that have a variety of computers and macs are just one of the variety?

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
maestro55 said:
We talk about switchers, well what about us that have a variety of computers and macs are just one of the variety?

We just get lumped right into the mix with the rest of them. It's more convenient that way.
:D

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
RobHague said:
(Concerning the comic...)

I like how they compare the Mac to a Fisher Price toy. Take a look at the default Windows XP Theme. THAT'S Fisher Price if I've ever seen it.

:D

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
The most positive thing about Apple gradually replacing the G4's with
Intel processors is that more and more developers will be motivated to port their previous Windows only applications over to OS X86.

Some developers at the last WWDC were amazed that they could port
their applications over to OS X86 in a matter of a few hours.

So this will benefit everyone in the long run.

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
FFTT said:
Some developers at the last WWDC were amazed that they could port
their applications over to OS X86 in a matter of a few hours.

So this will benefit everyone in the long run..

The most immediate thing that comes to my mind are games. That used to be a huge problem for a friend and I who would like to find a common game to play online regularly. WoW fixed that, but the point still stands.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.