Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mipster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
What am I missing here, is this a misprint?

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/53FB1GD4GBK/

I went to check out memory upgrades for my Mac Pro and they have a big chart showing all the memory upgrade prices. I noticed one of the options was much lower per GB than the rest.

I've read over the description 10 times. What am I missing? There's got to be something I misread, or they goofed.

Mipster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
I ordered it.

Well, I chatted with OWCs pre-sales support via their online chat tool. I asked the lady if it was a misprint and she said no. I pointed out that it was HALF the going price of Mac Pro RAM. She said it was correct.

So... I ordered it. 4G of Mac Pro RAM for $418! Wow. We'll see what happens now...

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Wow. Apple sells that kit for $1500 and the OWC/Techworks brand is over $800... but I've never heard of that Netlist brand. As long as OWC is standing behind it, I wouldn't worry about it.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Hmm... is it just me or do those heat sinks look a little cheesy. I'd be a little worried about these. The description says it fully meets Apples Thermal Specs but, the other RAM features the "True Apple Qualified Heat Spreader" but, they all also have the 15 day money back guarantee and a lifetime replacement warranty.

Hmm... this makes me wonder if I should spring for the 4GB instead of the 2GB. Wow.

NetList is featured in this Apple Technical Document.
http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2006/tn2156.html

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
The ram looks way off-brand. Even the sinks are different than what OWC is offering on their other brands. I hope you guys checked the specs.

The good news is that we will start to see cheaper ram now that competition is driving down the price. Hopefully the cheaper ram will pull down the price of the higher spec ram that has the Apple type heat sinks.

Jopling

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
Hmm, would this allow me to take my mac pro with 4 1gig sticks that are on two different risers up to 8 gig?

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
Anybody want to go half on these? I don't think I can afford 400+, but 200 seems reasonable.
I'm paypal certified and have done a few transactions here on MR. I also have a clean ebay record. PM me if interested..

YT

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
The ram looks way off-brand. Even the sinks are different than what OWC is offering on their other brands. I hope you guys checked the specs.

I have been a buyer from OWC since 2000. They have earned my trust. If they say the RAM will work, the RAM will work, even the cheap stuff. I got some dirt-cheap RAM for my old PowerMac 8600 in 2000 (their off-brand variety), and it survived motherboard failures. For the 8600, only the OWC and Apple RAM has survived this long.

All my more recent RAM purchases, and laptop accessories, have been spot on as well.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Something seems strange. I don't think the Mac Pro RAM is your average RAM. Why does the same company try to sell the 2GB kit for only $9 cheaper? It doesn't make any sense that 4GB kit is only $9 more than the 2GB kit. This must mean they're using really cheap parts in the 4GB kit but, using Higher Quality parts for the 2GB kit. This is the only thing that would make sense to me. I'm still a little skeptical.

ronni3

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2006
Chicago, IL
I have been a buyer from OWC since 2000. They have earned my trust. If they say the RAM will work, the RAM will work, even the cheap stuff. I got some dirt-cheap RAM for my old PowerMac 8600 in 2000 (their off-brand variety), and it survived motherboard failures. For the 8600, only the OWC and Apple RAM has survived this long.

All my more recent RAM purchases, and laptop accessories, have been spot on as well.

Krevnik-

Are you absolutely sure about this company? Anyone else do business with them?

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
Wow I wasnt planning on getting a MacPro until this spring, almost tempted to grab this RAM now the price is so good.

cynerjist

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2006
This must mean they're using really cheap parts in the 4GB kit but, using Higher Quality parts for the 2GB kit. This is the only thing that would make sense to me. I'm still a little skeptical.

I'm not too worried. I did check the specs. I do believe that it is a typo despite what customer service said. Those online people only have the information that is available to them from the computer. They have no reason to think for themselves.

I will thoroughly test it and post in this thread. If anything goes wrong, I can send it back. There isn't much risk in it.

Mipster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Price Corrected

OK, looks like it was a misprint.

Recheck the link. It's now $817!

Question is... what will they do with the orders that were placed before they corrected it?

cynerjist

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2006
OK, looks like it was a misprint.

Recheck the link. It's now $817!

Question is... what will they do with the orders that were placed before they corrected it?

i wonder how they found out. must have been alot of orders. :)

Mipster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Not sure yet. My order has a UPS tracking number and they billed me for the $417. So we'll see if it ships before they cancel it.

ronni3

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2006
Chicago, IL
Correct my last statement. I will be getting the memory and it should be shipped out to me today.

I called them to see if they will be sending me the memory and they said they will be getting it out to me.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Correct my last statement. I will be getting the memory and it should be shipped out to me today.

I called them to see if they will be sending me the memory and they said they will be getting it out to me.

That's crazy talk! You're so lucky!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.