Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davepk

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2006
Just got a call from OWC and they arent going to honor the order. Bastards.

The representitve did offer to "Meet me half way" but frankly at that price it was no longer a deal i couldnt pass up.

ronni3

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2006
Chicago, IL
Just got a call from OWC and they arent going to honor the order. Bastards.

The representitve did offer to "Meet me half way" but frankly at that price it was no longer a deal i couldnt pass up.

Yeah, that was the exact same thing I was told. Too bad they didn't just honor the price.

TheFuzz

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2006
LA
i haven't received a call or email. my account has already been charged and i've got a fed ex tracking number which says the ram's already been shipped, so i'm guessing it's too late on their end. until all 4 gigs arrive on thursday i'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

SunsetRoadzter

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2007

theblotted

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2006
Los Angeles
Hey guys I bought all my memory from newegg and it has been running perfectly since I got it. There prices on these modules are beast and they work fine. Here is the link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Category=17&Brand=1692&N=2100170551+1327823907+50001692&Submit=ENE&Manufactory=1692&SubCategory=551
I know it's more than that deal but it is still a good price.I have 10 Gig's in my system and it is rocking!@!!!

glad it's working out for you... but at a closer look, these are the smaller heat sinks, not the Apple Certified ones.

just to be on the safe side, i'd highly recommend you check out MacInTouch and read what others have had to say about their smaller heat sinks (and performances).

for small heat sinks, the new egg price is actually above average.

Jopling

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
I am pretty sure they have to honor the price you bought it for. I know in retail stores if they misprice a product and you try and buy it they have to sell it for that price. You guys should try calling the BBB and getting your dirt cheap RAM.

cynerjist

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2006
it appears my order has slipped through and isn't cancelled. it is out for delivery on the UPS truck. woohoo! :D

RAM was just delivered. it came from Illinois, which is overnight with UPS Ground. i will test it now. it has a different heat sink.

cynerjist

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2006
I've tested the OWC RAM with memtest and it passed with flying colors. The heatsink is a little bit lighter in weight than the Apple OEM, but an often referenced barefeats article tested this RAM and couldn't find any real difference in operating temp.

http://www.barefeats.com/quad09.html

mjgunn

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2006
If anyone who ordered this doesn't want all 4gb, and only wants 2, PM me and we'll work out a deal for splitting them.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Krevnik-

Are you absolutely sure about this company? Anyone else do business with them?

While it is disappointing that it looks like OWC won't honor all the orders made, they are a solid company.

I have had ZERO issues with their service department, and only 1 actual issue with a product (DOA external drive, the replacement was in our hands 48 hours after receiving the dead one). I have configured 6+ machines with RAM from them so far over 6 years, and none of the DIMMs failed. I have bought drives, bags, etc, etc from them, and have had no issues.

I even ordered an ExpressCard flash reader from them this last week without any problems. They are probably the best 3rd party Apple-focused online store around, IMO.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
While it is disappointing that it looks like OWC won't honor all the orders made, they are a solid company.

I have had ZERO issues with their service department, and only 1 actual issue with a product (DOA external drive, the replacement was in our hands 48 hours after receiving the dead one). I have configured 6+ machines with RAM from them so far over 6 years, and none of the DIMMs failed. I have bought drives, bags, etc, etc from them, and have had no issues.

I even ordered an ExpressCard flash reader from them this last week without any problems. They are probably the best 3rd party Apple-focused online store around, IMO.

Continuing this thought... new Mac users (recent switchers) may be hesitant to buy from OWC, a company they likely never heard of before, but in the Mac universe OWC is a big name who everybody and their Mom has probably bought stuff from before.

Mipster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Mine arrived yesterday. They work like a champ.

FYI, as far as heatsink is concerened, Temperature Monitor shows:

Orignal 4x512MB FB-DIMMs that came with the Mac Pro:
65, 68, 59, 62 degC
New OWC FB-DIMMs
76, 55, 56, 56 degC

So, on average, they run COOLER than the Apple FB-DIMMs. Interesting. Yeah, I noticed I got one hot bugger in there. I may have to yank him and redo his thermal grease (I'm hestitant to void that cool OWC warranty, tho).

dkoralek

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Mine arrived yesterday. They work like a champ.

FYI, as far as heatsink is concerened, Temperature Monitor shows:

Orignal 4x512MB FB-DIMMs that came with the Mac Pro:
65, 68, 59, 62 degC
New OWC FB-DIMMs
76, 55, 56, 56 degC

So, on average, they run COOLER than the Apple FB-DIMMs. Interesting. Yeah, I noticed I got one hot bugger in there. I may have to yank him and redo his thermal grease (I'm hestitant to void that cool OWC warranty, tho).

I think that the further the DIMMS are from the motherboard, the cooler they are, but I could be wrong. But good to hear that you are having a good experience with them. a good deal, for sure.

cheers.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Damnit. I wish I'd been paying more attention to the hardwar forums now. I would have ordered that in a heartbeat had I seen it!!

Mipster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
I think that the further the DIMMS are from the motherboard, the cooler they are, but I could be wrong. But good to hear that you are having a good experience with them. a good deal, for sure.

cheers.

Aha, the Apple FBDIMMS are definitely closer to the MB, so that would explain it. Anyone have any idea whether that 76C is a problem? It's a good 8C hotter than the next hotter DIMM. Is it worth worrying about?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.