Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Welcome to our P52! This project is designed to get you out with your camera once a week in a meaningful way. Each week I will post a prompt for you to consider. The prompts are merely suggestions, and you are free to shoot off topic if you wish. All images posted must be taken by you, be safe for work, and be taken with this project in mind. Please do not post archive photos. For a further discussion of the guidelines, please refer to this thread, and you can find the previous weeks linked there if you missed them. Feel free to join in at any time of the year, and you may go back to missed weeks if you still wish to participate.

Week 11: Panorama

panorama: an unobstructed or complete view of an area in every direction

i-z4Dpwnx.jpg

Welcome to Week 11! This week we are going to take a much wider view of things than we have in recent weeks. So wide in fact, that we are going to stitch photos together to create a very wide image.

You might ask why a panorama instead of using a wide angle. There are several reasons. One, a good wide angle lens can be upwards of $2,000. A panorama can be made with an inexpensive 50mm lens. Additionally, a wide angle lens has its own set of challenges of often lens distortion and skewing the edges into the frame. We will talk about wide angle later in the year, but for this challenge I would ask that you not use a wide angle lens even if you own one. The advantage to learning how to create panoramas is that you won’t feel limited by traveling with a normal to longer lens.

The panorama technique is not one that I employ often, but I’m always happy with my results when I do make them. I almost always make at least one when we go on a beach vacation. I typically create mine in Lightroom, since that is my editing program of choice, but there are a number of free options if you use other software. I haven’t personally tried anything other than LR or Photoshop, but here is a great list of some software for you to try if you don’t use the Adobe products.

There are several considerations to think about when making a panorama. The first one I learned the hard way, and it is that if you are making a horizontal final image, it is almost always better to compose your base images vertically. The very first panorama I made was in Hawaii on the top of Puu Ualakaa State Park comprised of 10 horizontally composed images, which resulted in a crop ratio of roughly 56:8. I do not recommend this method! However, I was a new photographer and I was utterly amazed by the view surrounding us on top of the mountain and knew I had to capture it in some fashion.

i-2VCTn2G.jpg

Here is a comparison of a panorama taken with horizontal images vs vertical images. In the first photo, I used five horizontal images to create a final horizontal image. Although I did capture as much of the building as I wanted, the final image seems a bit squashed and just really long. In the second image, I used six vertical images, and the end result is much more balanced with a good amount of sky and grass to flank the building.

i-2SNHhpG.jpg

Next, when taking the images that will make up your panorama, be sure to leave a considerable amount of overlap. You will want at least one third of an image to overlap with the next one to create a seamless stitch in the final photo. Yes, you will take a lot of images this way, but the end result will be worth the extra effort. I typically use anywhere between 4-7 vertical images in a horizontal panorama.

Here you can see all the images I used to make my final image following.

i-HS2BsRq-X5.jpg

i-jWBDr3L.jpg

Lastly, do not refocus your images as you take them. I have my cameras set up with BBF, so I will compose the first image, set focus with the back button, and then each time I click the shutter button to take my series of images, the focus remains where I originally set it for the first image. If you do not use BBF, then switch over to manual focus, set your focus for the first image, then take your series (and remember to switch back to AF when you are done). I personally do not work on a tripod, and must take care to keep the camera on the same lateral plane across images; you don’t want to move your camera too much up and down as you go or your photos won’t line up properly. I like to tuck my arms into my body and then rotate from the waist as I shoot.

In terms of editing, you will have to decide what works best with your editing program of choice. In LR, the resulting image is still a raw (dng) file, so I can do my editing before or after stitching. I often do a little bit of both; the images I took the other day for today’s post I took with a lens that tends to vignette a bit so I corrected that before stitching together; in one image I set all the editing in addition to the vignette correction before stitching, and in others I only corrected the vignette and then edited the full panorama. If you are sending images out to a third party software, I would encourage you to do all raw edits first to ensure consistency throughout the image. And depending on how many images you stitch together, you might find a big variation in the light quality from one side to the other; this is normal (you can see this especially on the Hawaii photo above), and I generally do not try to make the exposure the same across the image and let one area be bright and the other shady depending on how the light falls. Of course, editing is a very personal choice and your approach might be different.

You can also make vertical panoramas. In this case, because we are flipping the orientation, you will want to take your images horizontally to create a final vertical image. When making vertical panoramas follow the same focus and composition techniques, but instead of rotating at the waist to pan, you will want to slightly hinge at the hips.

i-mF2SXXp.jpg

Uncomfortable with using new software for this project? No problem! Just crop in post; yes, you will lose resolution from your image, but if you aren’t planning to print and only share on the web, losing resolution isn’t a big deal. A typical panorama ratio is 1:2, but feel free to use any ratio that best shows off your subject; when stitching from a larger number of images you wouldn’t hit a standard ratio anyway. The images below were all taken at the native 3:2 camera ratio and then cropped in post.

i-8j3pFtb.jpg

Using a phone for this project? Your phone should have a built-in panorama option in the photo app. Although you won’t have to worry about locking your focal point, you will want to take care to keep steady and level as you pan around. The next image I took with my phone; my husband and I were out for an early morning walk on vacation and I had not taken my camera with me; after seeing this view we went back the next day with camera and tripod in hand.

i-3F4dNw7.jpg

Here are a few others for inspiration.

This is the camera based image from the one above I took with my phone. I have prints of this one and the one following hanging in my house. Print your photos!

i-dhr8Wx4.jpg

i-cftH2DR.jpg

i-HWtqvJg.jpg

This image is from our second trip to Hawaii, by which point I learned to take my base images vertically.
i-DTJQqRz.jpg

i-GM4DMLx.jpg

i-QX4rRVT.jpg

Also, just a couple of housekeeping items to note; my kids are on spring break for the next two weeks; we have no family travel plans but I will be offline a bit more as I spend time with them, and next week I will be taking my daughter on a brief college tour for a few days (just the girls!) so please bear with me if I take a bit longer to get back with feedback on your images or am late in posting next week’s lesson (I am going to try to post it before I leave but we’ll see how that goes). Also, I’m sorry that I chose panorama as a lesson in the middle of March! Not sure why I didn’t plan for this in the summer with more scenic options, but here we go regardless.

Please also check out our long running panorama thread in the forums and also the weekly challenge thread, with entries closing today, March 13.

Walhydra

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2023
Massachusetts
A triptych, not a panorama. But, through synchronicity, I had just finished this one when I read this week's assignment. 😏

I used TechSmith's Snagit app to patch the three images together, and then I used Microsoft Paint to reduce the composite's huge size of 13,910 x 2,310 px (2.39 MB) down to 2048 x 340 px. I'll do a panorama later this week. BTW, using the camera of my ancient [in computer years] LG Q7+™ Android phone.

Oval_Snagit_2048 px (185 KB).jpg

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
View attachment 2173102
Sunrise panorama from yesterday

CC welcome

Need to add that was taken with iPhone panorama feature
Love the sunburst!

A triptych, not a panorama. But, through synchronicity, I had just finished this one when I read this week's assignment. 😏 I used TechSmith's Snagit app to patch the three images together, and then I used Microsoft Paint to reduce the composite's huge size of 13,910 x 2,310 px (2.39 MB) down to 2048 x 340 px. I'll do a panorama later this week. BTW, using the camera of my old [in computer years] LG LG Q7+™ Android phone.

View attachment 2173556
We are actually doing diptychs in August, so this would be more suited then! 🙂 This week is a single image.

Reactions: bondr006

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
panorama 1.jpeg

This one was taken with my Sony A7 iv that DOESN'T do panorama , sigh. I used my tripod and took several photos and
had to find a program to stitch the photos together without buying one . Affinity Photo does!
My old Sony a6400 has the panorama feature, beside the iPhone
Next I need to find another panorama
Today it was freezing because of wind and 4˚. All and more for this class 🙂

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
View attachment 2173791
This one was taken with my Sony A7 iv that DOESN'T do panorama , sigh. I used my tripod and took several photos and
had to find a program to stitch the photos together without buying one . Affinity Photo does!
My old Sony a6400 has the panorama feature, beside the iPhone
Next I need to find another panorama
Today it was freezing because of wind and 4˚. All and more for this class 🙂

i don’t think real cameras stitch images together IN camera. you do have to do it in post.

oh wait. you say your old camera did. are you sure that wasn’t a crop of a single image, rather than a stitched together file?

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
oh! a quick google search tells me that camera did do panoramas in house like an iphone. interesting. i’ve never heard of that in a full camera.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
oh! a quick google search tells me that camera did do panoramas in house like an iphone. interesting. i’ve never heard of that in a full camera.
Yes, but it’s not great. I tried and it’s not the best, I still prefer the iPhone
or the a7iv that lets me take how many photos I want , with the settings I decide and then just do the stitching and cropping when needed.
Thanks for this week : I wouldn’t ever tried if it wasn’t for your call 💖
Always nice learning new stuff!

• Love
Reactions: mollyc and bondr006

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
Haven't had time to get out for a real panorama yet, so did one of the intersection by my house. Also one from the Costco parking lot while shopping a couple days ago. Going to downtown Raleigh with my son to do some exploring today. Hopefully I'll find some good stuff there.
Good Luck1.png
Good Luck1.png
Good Luck1.png

3-13-2023 - iPhone 13PM
IMG_4139b.JPG

3-13-2023 - iPhone 13PM
IMG_4137b.jpg

CC Always Welcome:)

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
I know Olympus cameras do, and I think Fuji might also. I've never used the feature, so I'd have to check on the X-T3.
Apparently the X series can (it's on the dial you rotate for C/S/double exposure/etc), but the GFX cannot, although the GFX has a 65:24 ratio built in.

I had no idea cameras could do something like this.

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
Still Winter ain't the greatest season for Panoramic shots around here. Pothole or late fall are much better times of the year. Still the cold that's been bugging me is pretty much worn off and the sun should be shining over the next few days so, I'll get out and give it a try.

Reactions: mollyc and katbel

Walhydra

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2023
Massachusetts
Stumped on this one so far, due to my technical limitations. The camera is an LG Q7+ Android phone. No panorama option, no tripod. I haven't yet managed to hold the camera level with enough precision to make the sequence of shots match up with each other end to end. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Reactions: mollyc

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Still Winter ain't the greatest season for Panoramic shots around here. Pothole or late fall are much better times of the year. Still the cold that's been bugging me is pretty much worn off and the sun should be shining over the next few days so, I'll get out and give it a try.

Yes, I'm sorry about slotting this subject this week. I realized I did it because my kids are on spring break and when I put the schedule together I was anticipating that we'd be traveling somewhere fun this week. In actuality we are at home with cold winds.

Stumped on this one so far, due to my technical limitations. The camera is an LG Q7+ Android phone. No panorama option, no tripod. I haven't yet managed to hold the camera level with enough precision to make the sequence of shots match up with each other end to end. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Well I don't typically use a tripod when I make panoramas with a camera. I just lock my arms to my body and rotate at the waist. I think the same would work with a phone; but you would have to use one of the free software options linked in my OP to stitch them together. I'll see what I can do with my phone and get back to you!

You won't ever get it 100% exact and you'll lose some at the edges, but if you keep enough overlap in your images there should be enough info to get software to stitch for you.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
View attachment 2173888

kuli’ou’ou ridge in Oahu, Hawaii.
This is really pretty, but the image should be new for this project, not from the archives. Exif data says this was from 2016. 🙂

Haven't had time to get out for a real panorama yet, so did one of the intersection by my house. Also one from the Costco parking lot while shopping a couple days ago. Going to downtown Raleigh with my son to do some exploring today. Hopefully I'll find some good stuff there. View attachment 2173984 View attachment 2173984 View attachment 2173984

3-13-2023 - iPhone 13PM
View attachment 2173992

3-13-2023 - iPhone 13PM
View attachment 2173993

These are fun! Again, sorry about the timing on these, but hopefully you find some more opportunities this week around town.

• Love
Reactions: katbel and bondr006

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
This is really pretty, but the image should be new for this project, not from the archives. Exif data says this was from 2016. 🙂

These are fun! Again, sorry about the timing on these, but hopefully you find some more opportunities this week around town.
Ah you’re right. I guess I need to make a trip back there sooner than later and retake the photo. It’s quite beautiful and a challenging hike up there :)

Reactions: katbel and mollyc

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Ah you’re right. I guess I need to make a trip back there sooner than later and retake the photo. It’s quite beautiful and a challenging hike up there :)
or you could just take one from your neighborhood. 🙂

Walhydra

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2023
Massachusetts
Yes, I'm sorry about slotting this subject this week. I realized I did it because my kids are on spring break and when I put the schedule together I was anticipating that we'd be traveling somewhere fun this week. In actuality we are at home with cold winds.

Well I don't typically use a tripod when I make panoramas with a camera. I just lock my arms to my body and rotate at the waist. I think the same would work with a phone; but you would have to use one of the free software options linked in my OP to stitch them together. I'll see what I can do with my phone and get back to you!

You won't ever get it 100% exact and you'll lose some at the edges, but if you keep enough overlap in your images there should be enough info to get software to stitch for you.
Thanks for the help. :)

Reactions: mollyc

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Thanks for the help. :)
Okay. So. I had mixed result with this.

I first tried sitting at my dining table this afternoon. First I used the iPhone pano option, where you hold the shutter button and then pan across your view. It did okay, although the table ended up kind of bendy, and there are some missing spots on the bottom that would need to be cropped out or cloned back. Obviously my table is straight and not bendy. I then took five individual images and tried to stitch them together, and it did not work in either Lightroom or Photoshop. It could kind of get the middle two images together, but the outside ones just didn't attach anywhere.

IMG_5279 copy.jpg

So then I decided to try outside. No one would really do a pano of a table anyway, unless you were just trying to capture guests at a dinner party or something; but a table is an unlikely subject for this kind of image. I had much better luck outside.

First I tried with the regular 1x zoom on the iPhone. I had wondered with my indoor image fiasco if the wide angle was messing things up. The first image was with the in camera panoramic, hold-and-pan method.

Web_March_15_2023_001.jpg

Then I took five individual images and took them into LR to see if this set would stitch together. And it did!

Web_March_15_2023_002.jpg

I then switched to the 2x zoom to see if the focal length had any impact on the ability to stitch, and it did not seem to. The first with the hold and pan method:

Web_March_15_2023_003.jpg

And the second with five images stitched together in LR.

Web_March_15_2023_004.jpg

In general I prefer the results of the stitched together frames. The colors seem better to me (these were all shot jpeg in the default camera app) and I think you have a lot more control over the edges; LR at least crops out missing spots automatically. I also like that I could shoot these in raw in the LR mobile app and then stitch them together and have more options for editing.

So, all that said, I am not sure what kind of location you tried your panorama in, but I would make sure you use an area that isn't too cramped and gives a lot of area for overlap. Let me know if you have any other specific questions.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Okay. So. I had mixed result with this.

In general I prefer the results of the stitched together frames. The colors seem better to me (these were all shot jpeg in the default camera app) and I think you have a lot more control over the edges; LR at least crops out missing spots automatically. I also like that I could shoot these in raw in the LR mobile app and then stitch them together and have more options for editing.

So, all that said, I am not sure what kind of location you tried your panorama in, but I would make sure you use an area that isn't too cramped and gives a lot of area for overlap. Let me know if you have any other specific questions.
Good experiments, thanks for trying too!
I did few more but as you have seen yourself , sometime the iPhone is making the photo more distort, it depends from the distance from your subject and yourself I noticed. Closer you are and more distort it becomes with the iPhone and with my a6400. Probably is the integrated software that messes it up.
The best is still stitching frames together as you proved yourself. 🙂

Reactions: mollyc and bondr006

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
I got some panorama's yesterday with my iPhone 13PM, both vertical and horizontal on a walk in Raleigh, NC with my son. Had a really nice afternoon with my son walking around down town. We had a meal at a place my son suggested in town where I had never eaten before. Fun experience, and some really tasty food. We also stopped at Bond park to get some snaps.

Vertical Panorama's - 1. Edenton Street United Methodist Church 2. Wells Fargo Building

IMG_4152b.JPG
IMG_4199.JPG

Moore Square
IMG_4189b.JPG

Morgan Street Food Hall - Never saw so many places to eat under one roof. Was a tough choice what to pick. It's Huge!
IMG_4223b.JPG

Bond Park - Cary, NC
IMG_4259b.JPG

Last edited:

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
View attachment 2174403 My first vertical panorama experiment, done with the iPhone
Even cropping it a bit the image looks distort and straightening it is a challenge

CC 🌷

I got some panorama's yesterday with my iPhone 13PM, both vertical and horizontal on a walk in Raleigh, NC with my son. Had a really nice afternoon with my son walking around down town. We had a meal at a place my son suggested in town where I had never eaten before. Fun experience, and some really tasty food. We also stopped at Bond park to get some snaps.

Vertical Panorama's - 1. Edenton Street United Methodist Church 2. Wells Fargo Building

View attachment 2174538 View attachment 2174535

Moore Square
View attachment 2174540

Morgan Street Food Hall - Never saw so many places to eat under one roof. Was a tough choice what to pick. It's Huge!
View attachment 2174549

Bond Park - Cary, NC
View attachment 2174559

I really like the vertical ones you guys have made! I don't really make vertical ones that often personally; I did the Triton statue one in my OP because I was using a 35mm lens and that statue was giant and I couldn't get back far enough, and the one on my walk last week just as a separate example. I really like the building ones that bondr did.

Kat, I am not sure what lens you used on your iPhone, but if you have a 2x lens, I'd see what happens with that, and you might eliminate some of the distortion and tilting you have going on; the wider the lens the more that happens, and if you are going to pan around anyway, you probably can get away with using a longer lens that is less distortion prone.

• Love
Reactions: katbel and bondr006
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.