Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

_timo_redux_

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2022
New York City
2023-03-16 ~ IMG_0791.jpg

Trying to get more sky than facade (maybe our only sun today!) but allergic to tilting-backwards facades, so the result with a higher waistband than intended ... iPhone 2x panorama just rotating at the wrist. Unsurprisingly cropped 13:4.

Walhydra

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2023
Massachusetts
Okay. So. I had mixed result with this.

I first tried sitting at my dining table this afternoon. First I used the iPhone pano option, where you hold the shutter button and then pan across your view. It did okay, although the table ended up kind of bendy, and there are some missing spots on the bottom that would need to be cropped out or cloned back. Obviously my table is straight and not bendy. I then took five individual images and tried to stitch them together, and it did not work in either Lightroom or Photoshop. It could kind of get the middle two images together, but the outside ones just didn't attach anywhere.

View attachment 2174303

So then I decided to try outside. No one would really do a pano of a table anyway, unless you were just trying to capture guests at a dinner party or something; but a table is an unlikely subject for this kind of image. I had much better luck outside.

First I tried with the regular 1x zoom on the iPhone. I had wondered with my indoor image fiasco if the wide angle was messing things up. The first image was with the in camera panoramic, hold-and-pan method.

View attachment 2174308

Then I took five individual images and took them into LR to see if this set would stitch together. And it did!

View attachment 2174310

I then switched to the 2x zoom to see if the focal length had any impact on the ability to stitch, and it did not seem to. The first with the hold and pan method:

View attachment 2174311

And the second with five images stitched together in LR.

View attachment 2174309

In general I prefer the results of the stitched together frames. The colors seem better to me (these were all shot jpeg in the default camera app) and I think you have a lot more control over the edges; LR at least crops out missing spots automatically. I also like that I could shoot these in raw in the LR mobile app and then stitch them together and have more options for editing.

So, all that said, I am not sure what kind of location you tried your panorama in, but I would make sure you use an area that isn't too cramped and gives a lot of area for overlap. Let me know if you have any other specific questions.
Very helpful, Molly. Remind me what LR is. Thanks, Mike

Reactions: harshar

Walhydra

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2023
Massachusetts
I got some panorama's yesterday with my iPhone 13PM, both vertical and horizontal on a walk in Raleigh, NC with my son. Had a really nice afternoon with my son walking around down town. We had a meal at a place my son suggested in town where I had never eaten before. Fun experience, and some really tasty food. We also stopped at Bond park to get some snaps.

Vertical Panorama's - 1. Edenton Street United Methodist Church 2. Wells Fargo Building

View attachment 2174538 View attachment 2174535

Moore Square
View attachment 2174540

Morgan Street Food Hall - Never saw so many places to eat under one roof. Was a tough choice what to pick. It's Huge!
View attachment 2174549

Bond Park - Cary, NC
View attachment 2174559

CC Always Welcome:)
All very nice.

Reactions: bondr006 and katbel

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Very helpful, Molly. Remind me what LR is. Thanks, Mike
LR = Lightroom Classic and PS = Photoshop

If you don't use either of those programs, then there are others linked in the first post, although I haven't used any of them, but many are free.

Reactions: bondr006

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
I really like the vertical ones you guys have made! I don't really make vertical ones that often personally; I did the Triton statue one in my OP because I was using a 35mm lens and that statue was giant and I couldn't get back far enough, and the one on my walk last week just as a separate example. I really like the building ones that bondr did.

Kat, I am not sure what lens you used on your iPhone, but if you have a 2x lens, I'd see what happens with that, and you might eliminate some of the distortion and tilting you have going on; the wider the lens the more that happens, and if you are going to pan around anyway, you probably can get away with using a longer lens that is less distortion prone.
It was an experiment as I wrote, but it would be useful for statues or tall buildings
I didn’t change the settings and it was on the default 1x , iPhone 12 Pro . I don’t have extra lenses for the iPhone if you meant that. If instead it was about the 2x zoom I didn’t even think of using it: too much concentration on the vertical panorama 🙂

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
So this proved to be a tough shot for the Oly Tough. Could not track down the screen brightness adjustment so was shooting nearly blind. Did manage to keep things level despite that handicap. When I got back to the car I discovered there was a bit of highlight clipping but decided to let it be.

Oly Tough TG-6 camera, stitched in Affinity Photo. Working from three horizontal panels, about 75mm equivalnt focal length. Best viewed at full resolution.

ColemanPan.jpg

Last edited:

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
View attachment 2174727

Just to keep my hand in ... Probably should have cropped the right side a bit more to even out the railings from side to side .

View attachment 2174752

good light on the BQE viaduct supports

Gowanus, Brooklyn, from the Culver viaduct

(cropped to panorama)

So this proved to be a tough shot for the Oly Tough. Could not track down the screen brightness adjustment so was shooting nearly blind. Did manage to keep things level despite that handicap. When I got back to the car I discovered there was a bit of highlight clipping but decided to let it be.

Oly Tough TG-6 camera, stitched in Affinity Photo. Working from three horizontal panels, about 75mm equivalnt focal length. Best viewed at full resolution.

View attachment 2174758

Shot UWA (10mm) and then cropped. Just haven't been able to pickup the camera as much as I'd like lately.
View attachment 2174980

View attachment 2174609

Trying to get more sky than facade (maybe our only sun today!) but allergic to tilting-backwards facades, so the result with a higher waistband than intended ... iPhone 2x panorama just rotating at the wrist. Unsurprisingly cropped 13:4.

I know this is a harder challenge for some of you based on equipment limitations, but I love all the entries. ❤️

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
Similar shot to yesterday, but a better location. This time with the Lumix ZS200 camera. Again 3 horizontal panels. Much easier to maintain levels when using the Live View Finder. Best viewed at full resolution.
Coleman1r.jpg

Train came by as I was setting the location. I was a fraction of a second early releasing the shutter, but I'm happy with the panoramic style result. Obviously some cropping involved.
P1030086A.jpg

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
View attachment 2175131
Vertical panorama
CC🌷

View attachment 2175217
Beach and mountains
It's difficult to resize it for the forum, loosing a lot. Any suggestions?

CC 🌷

My original CC was to have you try to capture a more extreme ratio, but you did that in your last two images.

The only way to have higher res images in the forum is to link them from a hosting site of some sort like Flickr (free) or Smugmug/Zenfolio (paid options) or the like.

Reactions: katbel and bondr006

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Similar shot to yesterday, but a better location. This time with the Lumix ZS200 camera. Again 3 horizontal panels. Much easier to maintain levels when using the Live View Finder. Best viewed at full resolution.
View attachment 2175199

Train came by as I was setting the location. I was a fraction of a second early releasing the shutter, but I'm happy with the panoramic style result. Obviously some cropping involved.
View attachment 2175212
I really like the train one!

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
My original CC was to have you try to capture a more extreme ratio, but you did that in your last two images.

The only way to have higher res images in the forum is to link them from a hosting site of some sort like Flickr (free) or Smugmug/Zenfolio (paid options) or the like.
Thanks, but the original is 78gb… plus I don’t think is worthy
Wide spaces require at least 8 or 9 photos. The beach had a curve that needed even more shots.
I’m missing the enthusiasm of being in new places where you want to capture gorgeous panorama to bring with you forever .
At home, with gray or hazy days like this week it’s difficult to find the enthusiasm and the time [spring break…, you know what I mean…😉 ]
I’m still very grateful for the lessons: learning is always fascinating. 💖
Roaming around pond and beach I got few wildlife shots that compensated the rest…beside running after dog and kids 😄

Last edited:

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2013
I only had quick opportunity this (yesterday) morning on the Boofwalk (TM Pending) to fire off a couple of panoramas. Following on from @mollyc 's experiences with iphone pano's. Tomorrow, today morning, it's just after 1am here, I'll have a play with the nodal head and assemble something in LR CC.

This was interesting to observe the levels of barrelling present in the iphone 13 PM as it automagically assemble pano's, regardless of vertical or horizontal nature. The phone was used in opposite orientation to plane of capture orientation, so it was held vertically for the horizontal capture, and vice-versa for the vertical capture, short as that is.

They were rather stacked in their poor odds of success, as I was relatively close to the subjects, being maybe five to eight metres away from them, so I am also including images cropped to similar proportions and composition captured with the wide-angle lens of the phone for the distortionless images. I'll try to get back to the same places for camera captures tomorrow with the nodal head and assemble them in LR CC as a comparison.

IMG_3025.jpeg

IMG_3026.jpeg

IMG_3027.jpeg

IMG_3028.jpeg

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
I only had quick opportunity this (yesterday) morning on the Boofwalk (TM Pending) to fire off a couple of panoramas. Following on from @mollyc 's experiences with iphone pano's. Tomorrow, today morning, it's just after 1am here, I'll have a play with the nodal head and assemble something in LR CC.

This was interesting to observe the levels of barrelling present in the iphone 13 PM as it automagically assemble pano's, regardless of vertical or horizontal nature. The phone was used in opposite orientation to plane of capture orientation, so it was held vertically for the horizontal capture, and vice-versa for the vertical capture, short as that is.

They were rather stacked in their poor odds of success, as I was relatively close to the subjects, being maybe five to eight metres away from them, so I am also including images cropped to similar proportions and composition captured with the wide-angle lens of the phone for the distortionless images. I'll try to get back to the same places for camera captures tomorrow with the nodal head and assemble them in LR CC as a comparison.

View attachment 2175432

View attachment 2175433

View attachment 2175434

View attachment 2175435

Thank you for sharing these! Of course the regular WA lens looks better/no distortion, but knowing how to use the panorama mode is helpful if you run into a spot where you just need something wider. Thanks for joining in your first week back!

Love this crop.

Had to go to one of my rental properties today. So, I thought I'd grab some panos while there. Went to the lake across the road and got one too. Beautiful day today.

3/18/2023 - iPhone 13PM

Lake Park Condos - Raleigh, NC
View attachment 2175613
View attachment 2175614

Johnson Lake - Raleigh, NC
View attachment 2175615

I love the lake one!

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2013
Thank you for sharing these! Of course the regular WA lens looks better/no distortion, but knowing how to use the panorama mode is helpful if you run into a spot where you just need something wider. Thanks for joining in your first week back!

Love this crop.

I love the lake one!
Absolutely! I like the Panoramic feature on the iPhone, it’s a great tool for scenes where there’s some breathing room between you and the features in that area being captured.

I’m intrigued to find out at what sort of distance the barrelling is reduced enough to be imperceptible with the iPhone and a couple of lenses I have for the mirrorless cameras. I went through an experiment of that nature with the 6D and 24-105mm lens at its widest back in 2014, but can’t recall the results now. 🤔

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.