Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Piano:Brahms.jpeg

Silent music

CC🌷

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
pssst, the photo's for this thread have to be new. If @mollyc catches you.... remember what happened to Kenoh.

it’s okay. rob said earlier he was working ahead and the technical rule is taken in 2023 with the intention of the project. plus rob’s photos were taken the same day this thread was posted.

ken dug into the way back archives. 🙄

😉

Last edited:

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
ken dig into the way back archives. 🙄

😉
it’s okay. rob said earlier he was working ahead and the technical rule is taken in 2023 with the intention of the project. plus rob’s photos were taken the same day this thread was posted.

ken dig into the way back archives. 🙄

😉

I somehow misread the date. Thought it was way earlier. But since Ken is still limping, I wanted to prevent that happening to Rob. :)

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Just took these yesterday in anticipation for this week.

Looking down the road toward my house - 3/18/2023 - iPhone 13PM
View attachment 2176067

Highcroft Village Greenway trail that starts in our subdivision - 3/18/2023 - iPhone 13PM
View attachment 2176066

CC Always Welcome:)

3/15/2023 - iPhone 13PM
View attachment 2176222

3/19/2023 - iPhone 13PM
View attachment 2176223

A couple from Carpenter NC

Old Cabin - 3/19/2023 - iPhone 13PM
View attachment 2177154

Carpenter Farm Supply - 3/18/2023 - iPhone 13PM
View attachment 2177157

How are you doing your conversions on these? Some of them look like they have a toning of some sort over them; the first ones look kind of purple in particular.

I love the one of your family through the tunnel and also the Carpenter Farm Supply because I've driven past that multiple times and am surprised it's still standing.

• Love
Reactions: bondr006

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016

View attachment 2176064
Till the sunlight is with us

View attachment 2177442
One more try
CC 🌷

You've done a great job at finding high contrast scenes; well done. 🙂 I love seeing your dog. I like the first one the best of this bunch with all the light and shadow play.

• Love
Reactions: bondr006 and katbel

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
View attachment 2175987

One of my favorite black and white subjects, taken yesterday, a local roller coaster near my home. With filtering of red, it definitely pops against a blue sky. I'll do a better composition later this week. I've been out with the wrong lenses this weekend for whatever reason.

An interesting subject for bw, because I personally would want to see it in color since amusement parks are always so full of color. But the bw really brings attention to the structure of everything; thanks for making me consider something different.

I love black and white. Note this doesn't translate to "I'm good at it" :) but I enjoy it a great deal. I remember seeing Ansel Adams' "Clearing Winter Storm" in the 80s, just after his death, and just being gob-smacked. I have his "trilogy" of books: "The Camera", "The Negative" and "The Print". Exceptional. If you have a couple of hours (yes, I know it's hard :)) I'd recommend this B&H class on B&W by Eileen Rafferty -
- she's a great instructor, for me. It's about seeing.
Ohh, something to watch tonight since I'm home alone. 🙂

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016

Travelling in Madrid with work last week, the weather was a tad better than Scotland. Snowing when I left Scotland, wonderful spring sunshine on arrival into Spain.

Some nice strong sunshine shining through the buildings in Madrid.

I was going to make you work in color this week, but that second image is just amazing. A double flare! And the graphic lines of this is just crazy good.

• Love
Reactions: kenoh and bondr006

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
An interesting subject for bw, because I personally would want to see it in color since amusement parks are always so full of color. But the bw really brings attention to the structure of everything; thanks for making me consider something different.

I watched it already almost half: very good suggestion @r.harris1

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA

Colorado is an interesting place. The mountains are awesome., obviously. But...it's a brownish-straw-colored landscape for much of the year, with intensely blue skies, with short spaces in the year where there's intense color (spring for a few weeks with GREEN grass, a few weeks in early summer with wild flowers and autumn with aspens and such). It's "drab" punctuated by intensity. What's common here is intense light and contrast, less so color. So I like B&W because it makes me look for shapes and tone textures, leaving color out of the equation.

It can be a mind bender (for me anyway) to leave color out of the thought process and I do appreciate that about Eileen's talk.

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Oh I'm so jealous you went to the orchid show! I went once when we lived in the city and found it so beautiful. I love your conversions of these. Great details.
Some year's back I received the gift of a membership to the NYBG and have kept it going since . The trip to the orchid show ( even during COVID ) and the trips to the Brooklyn Botanical Garden / Branch Brook Park in Newark for the Cherry Blossoms ( usually a week or so behind D.C.) are the high points of my Spring photo field trips .

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I was going to make you work in color this week, but that second image is just amazing. A double flare! And the graphic lines of this is just crazy good.
Wow, thank you very very much.

I was waiting to see if I was going to be told to resubmit :)

I was out in the late afternoon sun in Madrid while the people I work with were smoking. They were watching me do the Timewarp dance thinking I was mental - then they saw the image and understood.

Timewarp - as in "just a step to the left and then a jump to the right.....bend your knees in time...." framing it up.... For anyone who now finds that damn song stuck in their head... . you're welcome.... 🤣

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
How are you doing your conversions on these? Some of them look like they have a toning of some sort over them; the first ones look kind of purple in particular.

I love the one of your family through the tunnel and also the Carpenter Farm Supply because I've driven past that multiple times and am surprised it's still standing.
Thank you Molly! I used a red filter in my conversion to make the sky pop and help with the contrast. If you would rather see just pure B+W, I will redo them.

Edit: All have been processed with no red filter and resubmitted.:)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.