Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Thank you Molly! I used a red filter in my conversion to make the sky pop and help with the contrast. If you would rather see just pure B+W, I will redo them.

Edit: All have been processed with no red filter and resubmitted.:)
Oh, you didn't have to reprocess them! I was just curious. Typically those filters are used in camera with BW film (as I'm sure you probably know, having had a career in photography), so when you add them digitally they look different.

You can definitely leave them as you had them originally if you want. Sorry for the confusion. 😞

• Love
Reactions: bondr006

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
Oh, you didn't have to reprocess them! I was just curious. Typically those filters are used in camera with BW film (as I'm sure you probably know, having had a career in photography), so when you add them digitally they look different.

You can definitely leave them as you had them originally if you want. Sorry for the confusion. 😞
Please don't feel bad Molly. I took no offense at all, and value your comments very much. Besides, I like the way they look without the red. I was just trying something different. I have used red filters on the old film slr's, and yes it looks different when using the red in digital processing. I guess adjusting the contrast in digital processing is the closest you can get. At least, I haven't found a way to get the same outcome.
why.gif

Reactions: mollyc

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Web_March_24_2023_001.jpg

I had intended for this to be a color image, but it's super dreary and kind of drizzly here today and I just couldn't get the color right. But I watched the video that @r.harris1 posted night and then realized this probably had enough tonality in it to convert well, and I think it actually better matches today's mood.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Please don't feel bad Molly. I took no offense at all, and value your comments very much. Besides, I like the way they look without the red. I was just trying something different. I have used red filters on the old film slr's, and yes it looks different when using the red in digital processing. I guess adjusting the contrast in digital processing is the closest you can get. At least, I haven't found a way to get the same outcome. View attachment 2178027

A monochrome camera is as close as it gets I think but let's not open that can of worms.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.