Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Welcome to our P52! This project is designed to get you out with your camera once a week in a meaningful way. Each week I will post a prompt for you to consider. The prompts are merely suggestions, and you are free to shoot off topic if you wish. All images posted must be taken by you, be safe for work, and be taken with this project in mind. Please do not post archive photos. For a further discussion of the guidelines, please refer to this thread, and you can find the previous weeks linked there if you missed them. Feel free to join in at any time of the year, and you may go back to missed weeks if you still wish to participate.

Week 16: Details

main.jpg

This week we are going to spend a bit of time thinking about little details that would be forgotten if we didn’t record them with a photograph. Much of our lives are made up of mundane details, things we overlook because they are just so ordinary. But over time, these little things become such a part of the fabric of ourselves and our family that we don’t even consider them anymore. This week I want you to consider all the details that make up your daily life.

My daughter and I went out to pick up lunch yesterday, and we stopped into Trader Joe’s along the way. When my kids were very small we would shop there once or twice a month, but since moving to the town we are in now, TJ’s is not super convenient so I go maybe once or twice a year, and without my kids (because I go during the week when they are in school). My daughter was looking for something specific, and while she was browsing, I happened upon a container of letter and number cookies. I showed them to her, and said, “Hey, do you remember when I used to buy these for you when you were little?” and her eyes brightened and her thoughts exploded, and she exclaimed, “I’d forgotten about these and you’ve just unlocked a core memory for me!” The cookies themselves are good, but nothing special. But they were a detail from her childhood that she’d completely forgotten. It is this type of detail that I want you to record. Something so ordinary it could never be missed, and yet, when reminded of it years later brings back a flood of memories. Of course, you don’t have to find something quite that extreme, but small things around the house or neighborhood that might change over time are also great subjects.

Let’s also be clear that this is not a macro challenge, although of course you can certainly use macro images if you want, to highlight the details of something specific. More likely these will be either storytelling types of images, where you might be highlighting something targeted from a larger concept, or you can use a shallow depth of field to bring attention to a detail within an image.

Here are some ideas to get you going. First are just some views around the house. I smiled to myself when I found the keys photo in my catalog because while I still have that base keychain, I’ve added a few things to it in the intervening years.

2023-04-17_0001.jpg

Next are some details you might see when traveling or out shopping. Even something as ordinary as a pattern of light on the floor can be considered a detail image.

2023-04-17_0002.jpg

2023-04-17_0007.jpg

Of course, as stated above, you are certainly welcome to use a macro or close up angle for this.

2023-04-17_0003.jpg

Also, don’t overlook small details of your kids if you have them at home. The first image here was of my daughter waiting for her brother at the barber shop. I was so taken with her little legs still not touching the ground, and it was just such a small moment in time. I also planned the image of my son in the bottom right; he began playing lacrosse when he was seven, and now, at age 15, he is the only freshman starter on the varsity team. But here, at age nine, he was still between little boy and big kid, and I wanted to highlight the disparity of being in between stages.

2023-04-17_0004.jpg

Ordinary moments like baking or cleaning are great candidates too. The first image is of the first time my daughter made cookies with my own mother and as you can see, my daughter is still baking years later.

2023-04-17_0005.jpg

And of course, parties or preparing for an event (like making a Halloween costume) can also be documented as detail photos.

2023-04-17_0006.jpg

2023-04-17_0008.jpg

Looking forward to what you come up with this week!

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
View attachment 2190302
B&W is better than in color 🙂
And I love my 85mm
CC welcome 🎼
Oh this is perfect! Excellent for a detail shot.

Also, we aren't covering portraits at all in this project because a lot of people don't want to share personal images with faces, but I would also put this into the category of "faceless portraits," which is a great way to show something about a subject's personality without revealing their identity.

• Love
Reactions: katbel

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
So my plan is to try to find non-nature images for this week but I happened upon this in my walk and decided it might (??) fit here? Not actually sure, lol, but the light was nice at least. There is a little creek just underneath here and I assume someone found the chain there and then hung it up. It's awfully rusty, so I'm sure whoever lost it has long given up looking for it, but it was just a funny juxtaposition in the woods.

Web_April_18_2023_001.jpg

Last edited:

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Welcome to our P52! This project is designed to get you out with your camera once a week in a meaningful way. Each week I will post a prompt for you to consider. The prompts are merely suggestions, and you are free to shoot off topic if you wish. All images posted must be taken by you, be safe for work, and be taken with this project in mind. Please do not post archive photos. For a further discussion of the guidelines, please refer to this thread, and you can find the previous weeks linked there if you missed them. Feel free to join in at any time of the year, and you may go back to missed weeks if you still wish to participate.

Week 16: Details

View attachment 2189839

This week we are going to spend a bit of time thinking about little details that would be forgotten if we didn’t record them with a photograph. Much of our lives are made up of mundane details, things we overlook because they are just so ordinary. But over time, these little things become such a part of the fabric of ourselves and our family that we don’t even consider them anymore. This week I want you to consider all the details that make up your daily life.

My daughter and I went out to pick up lunch yesterday, and we stopped into Trader Joe’s along the way. When my kids were very small we would shop there once or twice a month, but since moving to the town we are in now, TJ’s is not super convenient so I go maybe once or twice a year, and without my kids (because I go during the week when they are in school). My daughter was looking for something specific, and while she was browsing, I happened upon a container of letter and number cookies. I showed them to her, and said, “Hey, do you remember when I used to buy these for you when you were little?” and her eyes brightened and her thoughts exploded, and she exclaimed, “I’d forgotten about these and you’ve just unlocked a core memory for me!” The cookies themselves are good, but nothing special. But they were a detail from her childhood that she’d completely forgotten. It is this type of detail that I want you to record. Something so ordinary it could never be missed, and yet, when reminded of it years later brings back a flood of memories. Of course, you don’t have to find something quite that extreme, but small things around the house or neighborhood that might change over time are also great subjects.

Let’s also be clear that this is not a macro challenge, although of course you can certainly use macro images if you want, to highlight the details of something specific. More likely these will be either storytelling types of images, where you might be highlighting something targeted from a larger concept, or you can use a shallow depth of field to bring attention to a detail within an image.

Here are some ideas to get you going. First are just some views around the house. I smiled to myself when I found the keys photo in my catalog because while I still have that base keychain, I’ve added a few things to it in the intervening years.

View attachment 2189847

Next are some details you might see when traveling or out shopping. Even something as ordinary as a pattern of light on the floor can be considered a detail image.

View attachment 2189846

View attachment 2189842

Of course, as stated above, you are certainly welcome to use a macro or close up angle for this.

View attachment 2189844

Also, don’t overlook small details of your kids if you have them at home. The first image here was of my daughter waiting for her brother at the barber shop. I was so taken with her little legs still not touching the ground, and it was just such a small moment in time. I also planned the image of my son in the bottom right; he began playing lacrosse when he was seven, and now, at age 15, he is the only freshman starter on the varsity team. But here, at age nine, he was still between little boy and big kid, and I wanted to highlight the disparity of being in between stages.

View attachment 2189845

Ordinary moments like baking or cleaning are great candidates too. The first image is of the first time my daughter made cookies with my own mother and as you can see, my daughter is still baking years later.

View attachment 2189843

And of course, parties or preparing for an event (like making a Halloween costume) can also be documented as detail photos.

View attachment 2189841

View attachment 2189840

Looking forward to what you come up with this week!
The butterfly wing and the cracked glaze on the Japanese vase (?) are going to be hard to match.

Reactions: mollyc

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
The butterfly wing and the cracked glaze on the Japanese vase (?) are going to be hard to match.

well first this is not a competition! you have a photo of your daughter pouring steamy tea that is a perfect example.

second, that was my very favorite mug made by a potter in north carolina that developed a crack not long after i took this photo so now i can use it any more. 😕

Reactions: kenoh

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
So still getting acquainted with the little Oly TG-6.
Unlike many P&S cameras, this one lets you do close-ups at the long end of the lens 18mm (100mm eq). That allows for more comfortable working distances.

Left side is from about 6 inches with no cropping. The flower was almost exactly 2 inches across so a pretty typical macro result with nice depth of field.

Right side I came in much closer maybe an inch and a half or two inches. Depth of field is now almost razor thin. To get a usable hand held shutter speed, I kicked the ISO up to 1000 and did some slight cropping. FWIW the camera will come in even closer.

Below is the uncropped right side image.

P4180095A.jpg

P4180095.JPG

Last edited:

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
So still getting acquainted with the little Oly TG-6.
Unlike many P&S cameras, this one lets you do close-ups at the long end of the lens 18mm (100mm eq). That allows for more comfortable working distances.

Left side is from about 6 inches with no cropping. The flower was almost exactly 2 inches across so a pretty typical macro result with nice depth of field.

Right side I came in much closer maybe an inch and a half or two inches. Depth of field is now almost razor thin. To get a usable hand held shutter speed, I kicked the ISO up to 1000 and did some slight cropping. FWIW the camera will come in even closer.

Below is the uncropped right side image.

View attachment 2191181

View attachment 2191178
wow that's really amazing detail for your camera! cameras/lenses that have a short minimum focusing distance are so versatile.

Reactions: bondr006

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
  • Love
Reactions: bondr006

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Okay, so I had said I wasn't planning to do nature images, but here we are. I actually had an idea for something last night, but when I got to where it was going it didn't really pan out the way I'd hoped. So here we are, nature again, but I am just obsessed with all the blooming things right now....still have a few more days to execute something non-nature. 🤞🏻

1. sun shining through the leaves. i will never not love this.

Web_April_20_2023_001.jpg

2. a lone buttercup (it actually wasn't lonely, just my DOF blurred all the others out, plus there's a parking lot right behind, so I shot more down than straight across.

Web_April_20_2023_002.jpg

3. here's the same flower with a different angle.

Web_April_20_2023_001-2.jpg

4. azaleas bursting through a fence spilling onto a path. there are very annoying and barky dogs that live behind the fences on both sides, so i don't go here very often.

Web_April_20_2023_004.jpg

5. alyssum flowers reaching for the sun.

Web_April_20_2023_005.jpg

6. okay, this one isn't really nature-y, except that we were in the park, but i love how soft halley's ears are, and her undercoat is brown, so when the light hits her just right, her fur sometimes turns almost pink.

Web_April_20_2023_003.jpg

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
wow that's really amazing detail for your camera! cameras/lenses that have a short minimum focusing distance are so versatile.
Thanks, I've been playing a bit more, We have a stained glass window. With the lens at 100mm(eq) I was able to touch the camera to the glass and still get a solid focus. Not an inspiring shot but does illustrate the close up abilities.

Of course working in that close presents all sorts of lighting issues if the subject is not backlit.

Reactions: bondr006 and mollyc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.