Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Welcome to our P52! This project is designed to get you out with your camera once a week in a meaningful way. Each week I will post a prompt for you to consider. The prompts are merely suggestions, and you are free to shoot off topic if you wish. All images posted must be taken by you, be safe for work and be taken with this project in mind. Please do not post archive photos. For a further discussion of the guidelines, please refer to this thread, and you can find the previous week linked there if you missed it.

Week 2: Shallow Depth of Field

Web_December_28_2019_001.jpg

50mm at f/1.8

Being able to take photos with a “blurry background” draws a lot of people into photography; I know I definitely was drawn to it when I first started out, wanting to take portraits of my small children with the effect. Although there is a case to make for sharpness throughout an image, using a shallow depth of field (DOF) brings attention directly to your subject with no distractions and the story of the photo is clear with this technique. Please note, this is not a macro challenge; that comes later in the year. So don’t worry about filling the frame with your subject, just work on isolating it from the background as much as possible.

Depth of field, whether shallow or deep, is determined by a number of factors. Many people think that a wide aperture is the only thing really needed, but focal length, distance to subject, and distance of subject to background are actually larger determiners of DOF than aperture alone. Using a 200mm lens at f/5.6 can create a shallower image than a 35mm at f/1.8. Aperture is not the sole consideration. That said, aperture does play a large part.

There are several different ways to achieve shallow DOF, and often you will employ some combination of techniques depending on what lens you are using. Here are things that I consider when shooting:

• Shooting wide open. When employing this technique, use the widest aperture (smallest number) available on your lens. A 50m lens that opens to f/1.8 or wider is perfect for this challenge if you have one. Set your aperture to f/1.8 and start photographing.
Web_December_30_2022_001-3.jpg

50mm at f/1.8

Web_December_25_2021_006.jpg

50mm at f/2.2

• Get as close to your subject as possible. The closer you are to your subject, the smaller the area of focus. This is particularly important when working with shorter focal lengths. But of course pay attention to the minimum focusing distance; the goal isn’t to have a blurry subject by being *too* close. Make sure you are working within the limits of your specific lens, and leave enough working distance to make sure you catch focus on your intended area. This is also a great technique for portraits if you really want to focus on the eyes for a close up (I do not recommend this technique for formal headshots however). Just make sure that the subject is parallel to the camera or you will have one eye out of focus. If you must shoot slanted to the plane of focus, then focus on the eye nearest to the camera.
Web_March_06_2022_007.jpg

85mm at f/1.8

Web_February_04_2013_001.jpg

85mm @ f/1.8

Web_October_06_2021_005.jpg

35mm at f/1.8

• Have as much separation/space between your subject and the background. If you don’t have a lot of separation, your image may still be successful, but you will end up with a more patterned background than plain; you can use this to your creative advantage if you wish.

Web_May_20_2022_008.jpg

85mm @ f/1.8

Web_July_26_2022_009.jpg

85mm at f/1.8

Web_October_02_2008_001.jpg

50mm at f/1.4 | Because the baby is relatively far away from the tree line in the back, and closer to the camera, we have him and the balloons sharp throughout despite the wide open aperture.

Web_May_27_2020_004.jpg

300mm at f/5.6 | In this image, the pink foxglove is isolated, but the background did not go to full blur; obviously I was not able to move a plant in my garden, but the background is blurred enough to give some visual reference to the location without being sharp throughout as it would be with a wider lens and the same framing.

• Use a longer focal length. This is actually a bit of a misnomer, and if you frame your images similarly for two different focal lengths at the same aperture, you will end up with similar DOF in each; however, working with different focal lengths and keeping your subject to distance the same (different framing), the longer focal length will appear to have a shallower DOF.

Web_May_14_2020_003.jpg

600mm at f/6.3

Web_August_20_2020_001.jpg

600mm at f/6.3

Like last week’s challenge of low light, taking an image with a shallow depth of field requires a steady hand and good shooting techniques. Missed focus will show up more easily on an image with a small focal point, and that will ruin an image. Remember to use a suitably high shutter speed to prevent motion blur or camera shake, steady yourself, and don’t underexpose your subject, which will potentially add unwanted noise and softness to your edited image.

Keep in mind, you can also have some foreground interest in your image, which will also blur until your focal point. Using this technique will add some layering and depth to your image, although not at all necessary.

Web_February_23_2022_001.jpg

50mm at f/2.0

Web_September_09_2018_002.jpg

35mm at f/1.8

If you are joining this challenge with only your phone as a camera, your parameters will be a bit different, but you can make the most of the computational aspects of your phone camera by following the same principles of keeping your subject as far away as possible from the background and to shoot as close to the subject as possible. Make sure to use Portrait mode, which works with most newer iPhones, and the camera app software will blur out the background for you. Although it’s not as effective as using a big camera, it is better than no option at all.

I use an older iPhone, the 8+, and I think in newer phones this technique has been refined a bit, but here is an example of an image taken without and with Portrait mode.

IMG_4947.JPG

IMG_4948.jpg

Have fun this week and come back and share your images!

Last edited:

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
Your focus on this is perfect! I love the colors here too. Thanks for joining in. ❤️
Thanks! I will say that it was not the easiest to get the focus, since both I and the spruce tree were not wanting to be perfectly still in the breeze. Had to use the magnify feature on the camera to really see when things looks just right. At f/1.8, I don’t think I would have had a chance!

Thanks for putting these on. I need a good excuse to go take pictures.

• Love
Reactions: harshar and mollyc

PhilBoogie

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2014
Thanks! I will say that it was not the easiest to get the focus, since both I and the spruce tree were not wanting to be perfectly still in the breeze. Had to use the magnify feature on the camera to really see when things looks just right. At f/1.8, I don’t think I would have had a chance!

Thanks for putting these on. I need a good excuse to go take pictures.
I've had this problem as well, but looking through the menu on my Nikon I turned on the Auto Focus Illumination Point. So I now see a little red square when reviewing on the LCD. HTH.

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
One for today , more interesting ones tomorrow ; just gotta sort through them ...

_1426524_DxO2k.jpg

G9 ,14-140@140 , f8@1/250 , ISO 1600. Not great glass for shallow DOF , nor was it a great aperture , but by standing back some from the subject I got it to work .

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
One for today , more interesting ones tomorrow ; just gotta sort through them ...

View attachment 2140099

G9 ,14-140@140 , f8@1/250 , ISO 1600. Not great glass for shallow DOF , nor was it a great aperture , but by standing back some from the subject I got it to work .

Obviously your settings and lens were fine because you separated the subject out nicely from the background. thanks for contributing this week. 🙂

Reactions: someoldguy

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Rainy day play with shallow DOF

View attachment 2140127
Olympus E-PL1
Olympus 70-300 1:4-5.6 adapted to m4/3
Iso 800, exposure 1/8, f4.3, focal length 120 (240).

Another one, finding random objects in the house- Zoom Groom cat groomer.

View attachment 2140130
Olympus E-PL1
Olympus 70-300 1:4-5.6 adapted to m4/3
Iso 800, exposure 1/30, f4, focal length 70 (140).
focus is spot on for these and i love the lighting in the first one. thank you for playing along this week. 🙂

• Love
Reactions: Snowlover

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
the blur in this is beautiful. thanks for participating. 🙂
No problem! Thanks for setting this up.

I'm enjoying this and hoping I can keep it up! 🤣
I am very much a beginner… While studying Architecture in the '80s into the 90s I certainly used with my Canon SLR. But since 2000 went digital in a small way and then with iPhones.

I find it very satisfying in using old lenses — and an "old" camera. 🙂

• Love
Reactions: mollyc

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
2 more from the Holiday Train Show at the NY Botanical Garden . Both shot with a G9 , 25/1.4 @ 1.4 , ISO cranked up to 1600 to get a high shutter speed and (hopefully) eliminate motion blur , as the trains were moving. Used continuous low shutter actuation and picked out the best ....

martini2k2.jpg

(is that Bernie in the streetcar? ). Shot at 1/3200

metronorth2k.jpg

Shot at 1/800

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
2 more from the Holiday Train Show at the NY Botanical Garden . Both shot with a G9 , 25/1.4 @ 1.4 , ISO cranked up to 1600 to get a high shutter speed and (hopefully) eliminate motion blur , as the trains were moving. Used continuous low shutter actuation and picked out the best ....

View attachment 2140383

(is that Bernie in the streetcar? ). Shot at 1/3200

View attachment 2140384

Shot at 1/800
oh these are super fun!

PhilBoogie

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2014
D7K_0568.jpeg

Got some photo props yesterday, fooling around with it all now. Not happy with my 37th try. But I'll keep trying. Background balloons not coming out as wanted (whatever I 'wanted' them to come out in the first place).

Lightning is all wrong. Bought softbox with strobes - the cheap kind - but without any knowledge on them I just tried stuff out: direct lightning didn't work due to the reflection on the glass. I also put these furry sticking balls on a black surface but then the composition was all wrong. So, light bouncing off the white wall: wrong. Bouncing off the ceiling; much better. Still I don't like the lightning. Nor the blur. Nor the end result lol.

Model: NIKON D7000 (el cheapo cropped frame camera)
Lens Model: AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Exposure Time: 1/160
FNumber: 3,2
Focal Length: 35
Photographic Sensitivity (ISO): 100
Saturation: Normal
White Balance: Auto white balance

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.