Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
200mm f:5.6.jpeg
Last one for me too, because I'm not sure the first carnations photo was ok
200mm f/5.6 in Aperture Priority

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Only guy willing to pose for a portrait shot in our household ;)

View attachment 2142476

CC is welcome, I think there is a bit of camera shake and maybe 1.4 for that distance is too shallow, thanks.
Your focus looks good and the DOF being this shallow is fine for me (it's quite similar to the image I posted of my dog), but I do think you had a bit of camera shake from your shutter speed being only 1/100. I'd try to keep that up to at least 1/125, and some people need 1/250 to eliminate camera shake.

Thanks for participating!

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
View attachment 2142564
Our local library in the background, which in itself is an interesting building, but it also has lovely trees (with lovely bark) on the outside. Not something I'd really normally try with this lens which is made for extreme depth of field. The shallowest plane of focus is at minimum focusing distance and max aperture, but this is a fairly wide lens. I've had a lot of fun playing!

Two excellent images! I love seeing you work with a wider DOF, it's different from most of your work, but I can still see that it is very much you. We are going to talk about this a bit in Week 3, and trying to shoot images that stretch you but also work within your own voice and body of work.

My mom has a very similar copper kettle that I had forgotten about until I visited briefly last month. Very nostalgic for me. 🙂

• Love
Reactions: r.harris1

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
I really enjoy this challenge/project so far. The theme this week was a very welcome opportunity to try out the portrait mode on my iPhone 14 Pro (never had an iPhone with portrait mode before). I went to the local market yesterday, took some photos, and was quite surprised by the quality of the out of focus areas. Not being able to use RAW and portrait mode at the same time made the post processing a bit trickier, but I’m very happy with the final results nevertheless.

iPhone 14 Pro, Main camera using Portrait mode
ISO 50 | f/1.8 | 1/100 s

View attachment 2142640
This is great for portrait mode! I think the algorithms have been improved in newer phones, because my 8+ always leaves weird artifacts and makes things look super fake. This is a really good use of the feature; thanks so much for sharing.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Resolution for the NewYear : find a lens with f/1.8 ...🙂

View attachment 2142678
28-70 Lens 28 mm f/2.8 in Aperture Priority
CC welcome

View attachment 2142682 and another experiment
42mm f/3.2 in Aperture Priority

CC welcome
I'm so happy you found us!

Yes, having a lens that opens to f/1.8 is fun and does allow for a shallower DOF, but you've done well working with your existing gear here.

On a composition basis, for the first one, I'm not sure what's going on in the upper left, and it kind of draws my eye away from the subject. I'd prefer if that were a bit cleaner. I also think the WB could be warmed up slightly, but your focus is spot on.

For the second, my only complaint is the reflection of your light source in the porcelain. Mostly just because it goes through the decorations; if the glaze was a sold color I wouldn't think twice about it....however, lighting something so shiny is a completely different skill set than shooting in focus for a shallow DOF, and that aspect of the challenge you did really well with!

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
View attachment 2142709 Last one for me too, because I'm not sure the first carnations photo was ok
200mm f/5.6 in Aperture Priority
Your first image was fine, but this is lovely too! This has a better WB, and I like that you thought creatively to pull out a longer lens to help separate your subject. 🙂

• Love
Reactions: katbel

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
I'm so happy you found us!

Yes, having a lens that opens to f/1.8 is fun and does allow for a shallower DOF, but you've done well working with your existing gear here.

On a composition basis, for the first one, I'm not sure what's going on in the upper left, and it kind of draws my eye away from the subject. I'd prefer if that were a bit cleaner. I also think the WB could be warmed up slightly, but your focus is spot on.

For the second, my only complaint is the reflection of your light source in the porcelain. Mostly just because it goes through the decorations; if the glaze was a sold color I wouldn't think twice about it....however, lighting something so shiny is a completely different skill set than shooting in focus for a shallow DOF, and that aspect of the challenge you did really well with!
Thanks for the CC: I didn't think about the reflection on the porcelain, you are so right and yes the first one has that part on the left too dark. I thought about cropping it but didn't do it: too much focused on the DOF . WB is on auto but I should have changed it. All things to remember for the next time
About the reflection : how to get enough light from outside and not have the window come back to bite me ?
Not using the flash, and today it's cloudy and grey

Last edited:

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Thanks for the CC: I didn't think about the reflection on the porcelain, you are so right and yes the first one has that part on the left too dark. I thought about cropping it but didn't do it: too much focused on the DOF . WB is on auto but I should have changed it. All things to remember for the next time
About the reflection : how to get enough light from outside and not have the window come back to bite me ?
Not using the flash, and today it's cloudy and grey
I actually don't have a lot of experience photographing shiny objects. It might work if you had a sheer curtain over the windows; you'd have to increase ISO since the light would be cut down but I think the light would be softer overall. If I have time I'll try to experiment with this sometime this week; but there are definitely ways to light objects without harsh reflections.

Reactions: katbel

thirsty_monk

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2017
Slovakia
Your focus looks good and the DOF being this shallow is fine for me (it's quite similar to the image I posted of my dog), but I do think you had a bit of camera shake from your shutter speed being only 1/100. I'd try to keep that up to at least 1/125, and some people need 1/250 to eliminate camera shake.

Thanks for participating!
Thank you @mollyc

Reactions: mollyc

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Edit: Aaargh! Missed the deadline. I was planning on posting these last night, but work got in the way.

In before the end… hope these two still qualify… 🙂

I tried to get the detail of the bowl — the middle ground I suppose.

DSC06324.jpeg

Manual Focus
Ricoh XR Rikenon 50mm F1.7
Sony A6000

A test on dealing with foreshortened objects…

Wooden Bowl 2.jpeg

Manual Focus
Vivitar 28mm F2.8
Sony A6000

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Edit: Aaargh! Missed the deadline. I was planning on posting these last night, but work got in the way.

In before the end… hope these two still qualify… 🙂

I tried to get the detail of the bowl — the middle ground I suppose.

View attachment 2142892
Manual Focus
Ricoh XR Rikenon 50mm F1.7
Sony A6000

A test on dealing with foreshortened objects…

View attachment 2142894
Manual Focus
Vivitar 28mm F2.8
Sony A6000
you aren't late and these are lovely!

honestly, real life is allowed to get in the way of photographing and/or editing. don't stress and just post when you are able. 🙂 (ps if it makes you feel better i posted week 3 early)

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I took this one Saturday but am only just now posting it.

I liked the concept of my earlier one but wasn't satisfied with the execution. The pen nib shown had ink stains(impossible to avoid since it was currently inked), had some blown highlights, and I wasn't totally happy with how defined the back ground was.

Here it is with a pen with the same basic nib but larger and more visually interesting(I think) and I cranked back the lights so that I could go to f/16.

D800, 105mm Micro, f/16, ISO 100. I'm intentionally not listing a shutter speed because this was shot with strobes. This was a dark-ish room with just the modeling lights on the strobes for artificial ambient illumination. Shutter speed matters to the extent that it's below the sync speed of the camera, and not slow as to allow ambient light to provide appreciable light. This is a concern with relatively low powered on-camera lights, but studio strobes are powerful enough that they very much overpower most ambient light.

As a little bit of a side note, these ancient strobes(probably 1980s, maybe a bit newer) by my measurements(using a Nikon D1, which interestingly enough can sync at any shutter speed, changing the power affects not just the absolute power output of the strobes but also the length of time they are illuminated. In the past, I've found that a 2000 w-s power pack cranked up goes down to about 1/600s, and at lowest power is more like 1/1000. These were taken with my much smaller(physically) 800w-s pack, and I've not actually measured flash duration on it.
week 2 shallow DOF 2_.jpg

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
I took this one Saturday but am only just now posting it.

I liked the concept of my earlier one but wasn't satisfied with the execution. The pen nib shown had ink stains(impossible to avoid since it was currently inked), had some blown highlights, and I wasn't totally happy with how defined the back ground was.

Here it is with a pen with the same basic nib but larger and more visually interesting(I think) and I cranked back the lights so that I could go to f/16.

D800, 105mm Micro, f/16, ISO 100. I'm intentionally not listing a shutter speed because this was shot with strobes. This was a dark-ish room with just the modeling lights on the strobes for artificial ambient illumination. Shutter speed matters to the extent that it's below the sync speed of the camera, and not slow as to allow ambient light to provide appreciable light. This is a concern with relatively low powered on-camera lights, but studio strobes are powerful enough that they very much overpower most ambient light.

As a little bit of a side note, these ancient strobes(probably 1980s, maybe a bit newer) by my measurements(using a Nikon D1, which interestingly enough can sync at any shutter speed, changing the power affects not just the absolute power output of the strobes but also the length of time they are illuminated. In the past, I've found that a 2000 w-s power pack cranked up goes down to about 1/600s, and at lowest power is more like 1/1000. These were taken with my much smaller(physically) 800w-s pack, and I've not actually measured flash duration on it. View attachment 2143031
I didn't dislike your other one, but really love this version. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries to get what we are really after.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
View attachment 2143908 View attachment 2143909 View attachment 2143910

I've got to get better about posting on time 😂 but I promise they were taken during the appropriate timeframe.
It's completely fine that you posted a bit late! Thank you for sharing....btw, I'm pretty good with identifying flowers, but not so much food - what are you growing in the first image? Baby eggplants? Olives? (I don't think olives because I do know those come from a tree.)

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016

in the in-between by Howard Elam, on Flickr

CC

Canon EOS R5 24.0 - 70.0 mm ƒ/2.8 70.0 mm 1/800 500

A little late and after the window, playing catch-up (blame the FDIC :) ) The original is also on Flickr if you have any comments about the before an after :)
Thanks for joining in!

I like how you darkened the street in the background from the SOOC, but I personally would have kept a bit of brightness on the can/trash since that's your subject. It's a little hard to make out in your edit, IMO. 🙂 But it's all up to interpretation, and maybe the darkness is intentional to convey a sense of mystery.

Reactions: catfish743

coolguy4747

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
It's completely fine that you posted a bit late! Thank you for sharing....btw, I'm pretty good with identifying flowers, but not so much food - what are you growing in the first image? Baby eggplants? Olives? (I don't think olives because I do know those come from a tree.)
They are actually some kind of cherry/grape tomato! I call them my tiny eggplants because they really do look like it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.