Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Welcome to our P52! This project is designed to get you out with your camera once a week in a meaningful way. Each week I will post a prompt for you to consider. The prompts are merely suggestions, and you are free to shoot off topic if you wish. All images posted must be taken by you, be safe for work, and be taken with this project in mind. Please do not post archive photos. For a further discussion of the guidelines, please refer to this thread, and you can find the previous weeks linked there if you missed them. Feel free to join in at any time of the year, and you may go back to missed weeks if you still wish to participate.

Week 28: Animals

main.jpg

Welcome to week 28! This will be a fun week, at least hopefully, with photographing (non human) animals. This is a very open ended theme, any animal will do, from your pet to a worm, to a zoo creature. As long as it can move and isn’t human I want to see what you can find.

2023-07-10_0001.jpg

2023-07-10_0002.jpg

Very few pointers this week, but as with human subjects, do be mindful of your frame edges. Try not to crop at a joint, or skim off a foot/claw/wing, etc. Remember our discussions on using the rule of thirds, framing, and negative space to help strengthen your compositions.

2023-07-10_0008.jpg

If you decided to shoot some macro style images of insects, be mindful of your depth of field, and look for special details about your subject. I still try to find catchlights even for animals like bees and birds, although it’s not as critical as with humans. Do be sure not to disturb the habitat of your subject, and be extra mindful of stinging or biting subjects.

2023-07-10_0004.jpg

2023-07-10_0005.jpg

2023-07-10_0003.jpg

Bonus points for identification of subjects, but definitely not necessary. Most of all, have fun!

2023-07-10_0006.jpg

2023-07-10_0007.jpg

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Cats are such funny creatures. I don't have one; occasionally when I was growing up we'd adopt a stray in the summer, to live outside, but we always took it to a farm to become a barn cat in the winter (yes, an actual real farm, lol, not "the farm"). I love other people's cats but I don't understand them well enough to let one live in my house.

OneBar

Suspended
Dec 2, 2022
Cats are such funny creatures. I don't have one; occasionally when I was growing up we'd adopt a stray in the summer, to live outside, but we always took it to a farm to become a barn cat in the winter (yes, an actual real farm, lol, not "the farm"). I love other people's cats but I don't understand them well enough to let one live in my house.
Well they're senseless goofs so there's no "understanding" them xD

• Haha
Reactions: bondr006 and JAWJr

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
View attachment 2231205 View attachment 2231209
Bees on lavender: their honey should be very tasty
my lavendar is all done for, and I would like to cut it back but I keep seeing a few random insects on it, so I'm waiting another week or two. If I cut it early enough, I can get a smaller second bloom on it. But I hate to cut it back if it's helpful for some pollinators.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
my lavendar is all done for, and I would like to cut it back but I keep seeing a few random insects on it, so I'm waiting another week or two. If I cut it early enough, I can get a smaller second bloom on it. But I hate to cut it back if it's helpful for some pollinators.
I never cut it mid season but I noticed it will have a smaller bloom anyway later in the season.
Pollinators are more important as you said and probably they help the plant as well

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.