Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond

Attachments

• lanternfly_life_cyle.jpg
    lanternfly_life_cyle.jpg
    447.5 KB · Views: 84

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
@bondr006 beat me to it . Last year I saw 2 or 3 larva and one or 2 actual mature bugs ; but nearby towns had them all over . Guess It's my turn . Looks like my job tomorrow will be to hunt down and vaporize as many as I can .
we are instructed to kill and then report them. i haven’t seen any yet but know a few have been spotted in my town.

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
we are instructed to kill and then report them. i haven’t seen any yet but know a few have been spotted in my town.
Everyday we learn something : it seems they have not been spotted in Canada yet but I doubt it because we have a government page that says to catch and tell them as soon as they have been spotted
They are not stopping at the border.. and Canada is not that cold place any more

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
I love bunnies. I wish I saw them more often, but on the other hand I think most people view them as a nuisance, as I do the deer, and I lose enough plants to deer as it is.

I haven't seen a single hummingbird this season, although my feeder does get emptied. I haven't figured out if I'm just not seeing the birds or if the nectar is just evaporating.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
I love bunnies. I wish I saw them more often, but on the other hand I think most people view them as a nuisance, as I do the deer, and I lose enough plants to deer as it is.

I haven't seen a single hummingbird this season, although my feeder does get emptied. I haven't figured out if I'm just not seeing the birds or if the nectar is just evaporating.
Honeybees will clean out a hummingbird feeder rather quickly once they lock on to it.

And I think we have both bunnies and deer now, and squirrels, and moles. So much for the lawn and landscape!

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Honeybees will clean out a hummingbird feeder rather quickly once they lock on to it.

And I think we have both bunnies and deer now, and squirrels, and moles. So much for the lawn and landscape!
i just never see anything near the hummingbird feeder. i have quite a few pollinator friendly plants around the feeder where i see oodles of bees; i don’t think they are eating the nectar.

the past few years i’ve used a plastic feeder and the nectar would last a long time, and i would dump it before refilling. my daughter got me a pretty glass one for christmas and i’m wondering if it’s just hotter and encouraging evaporation. so strange.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
i just never see anything near the hummingbird feeder. i have quite a few pollinator friendly plants around the feeder where i see oodles of bees; i don’t think they are eating the nectar.

the past few years i’ve used a plastic feeder and the nectar would last a long time, and i would dump it before refilling. my daughter got me a pretty glass one for christmas and i’m wondering if it’s just hotter and encouraging evaporation. so strange.
Sometimes you just never know who's using it! 🤣
IMG_0191.jpeg

CSKK

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2023
I'd love to have a pet chicken or two. I don't think my husband would feel similarly, plus we have quite a few fox around. Does this one have a name?
My husband and I live in a very rural location. We occasionally see coyotes, bobcats, raccoons, owls, and hawks on our acreage so we have to work hard at keeping the chickens safe. As hard as we try, sometimes we lose a chicken to predators. I don't want to sound uncaring because we do care for them but we don't really name the chickens. It makes it less personal if they die. So, we usually just call them by their breed or their color (this one would be "red").

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
They are scarce here too: the ones I knew and they had names are gone 😟
There is a new one, maybe two, very shy though.
I don't leave the feeder in the summer because there are so many flowers to feed on and the squirrels were drinking the nectar and making a mess all around

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
My husband and I live in a very rural location. We occasionally see coyotes, bobcats, raccoons, owls, and hawks on our acreage so we have to work hard at keeping the chickens safe. As hard as we try, sometimes we lose a chicken to predators. I don't want to sound uncaring because we do care for them but we don't really name the chickens. It makes it less personal if they die. So, we usually just call them by their breed or their color (this one would be "red").
Yeah, pretty much everything wants to eat a chicken, so you have to go Fort Knox on their coups and pens. I know someone who shreds all their cardboard and uses it for the floor of their chicken compound. He said between all the scratching and pooping, you'd never know there was cardboard there, but it really improves the soil. He then moves the chicken pen to a new quadrant and turns that old spot into a vegetable plot.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
2023_July_100V0751.jpg

took halley to the garden center. she's famous there (i'm only known as halley's mom, lol). they have the cutest new little cottage for houseplants and vintage clothing. my daughter and i went over the weekend to see the cottage and did not take halley, and she could tell we'd been there by our smell and she was quite annoyed with us. so we made a special trip just for her to go to her favorite place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.