Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C99

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2014
I'll assume you meant "right", not "tight".

What about it isn't right? Did you not purchase your device? Did you not pay for it? Why exactly is it "not right" for someone to have full access to something that they own?

The equivalent is that you buy a house, and the seller says "Look, I know you bought this house. But these two rooms are off limits. Im locking them up tight."

Does that sound right to you? Because that's essentially what you're arguing is "right".

This isn't generally true. It is illegal to circumvent digital copyright protection in the U.S., even if it's on a DVD player you bought and own. But jailbreaking is explicitly legal in the U.S. (though you could void your warranty I've heard). The house analogy, like all analogies, doesn't prove anything and could only be used to make a point easier to understand, plus it's a bad analogy anyway.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
To me, i don't find jailbreaking is proper news to be on here. I think that because jailbreaking a phone doesn't seem tight to me. That is just my opinion and maybe if I tried jailbreaking, it might justify my answer. But I don't think this should be on MacRumors

The only criteria for inclusion on MR is if Arn says so. :)

fallenjt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2013
After last jailbreak causing my iPhone 5 run like crap, I'm done with jailbreak: the benefit doesn't worth the risk.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
This is definitely not as polished as the jailbreaks from the established groups have been. I had to run the Pangu tool three times before the jailbreak completed successfully. But, in the end, it did work.

However a significant number of tweaks don't currently function properly on 7.1 - so it's not for anyone who gets upset when something doesn't work right. And remember - Cydia safe mode is definitely your friend (respring/reboot while holding the volume up button).

----------

Because it was still installed just no icon when you remove the check mark

Since when do package repositories like 25pp have icons? It's just a list you find under "Sources" in the Cydia app. It's easy to verify whether or not a particular repo is present.

Anyway, with the English version 25pp is not installed.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
To me, i don't find jailbreaking is proper news to be on here. I think that because jailbreaking a phone doesn't seem right to me. That is just my opinion and maybe if I tried jailbreaking, it might justify my answer. But I don't think this should be on MacRumors

AKA: I don't really know what this is, but it sounds dodgy, so I'm going to complain about it?

Jailbreaking is simply allowing users to use their iPhone in a way they see fit, separate from Apple's "walled garden." Some people find it useful to do more advanced things on their phone than Apple allows (third-party keyboards, for example,) some do it solely because they like "having the freedom" to do what they want. Some, yes, do it to load pirated apps.

I have waffled back and forth with jailbreaking. I liked some of the jailbreak-only apps in the past, but gradually apps with the same functionality became available on the official App Store (or the functionality became built-in to the OS.) Each OS version, more and more of the features I jailbroke for end up available "legitimately." With iOS 8, all of my remaining reasons will be gone. I will upgrade to iOS 8 on launch day, even if no jailbreak is available. And if no jailbreak ever becomes available, I won't worry.

I do consider the fact that jailbreaks come out to be a good thing, though. It both keeps Apple competitive, and helps find legitimate security holes and gets them fixed!

Apple4everr

macrumors regular
May 9, 2013
I have it and it works the same as evasion, no issues, drain to battery and everything seems to be working fine, go for it

CrazyForApple

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
Buffalo, NY
AKA: I don't really know what this is, but it sounds dodgy, so I'm going to complain about it?

Jailbreaking is simply allowing users to use their iPhone in a way they see fit, separate from Apple's "walled garden." Some people find it useful to do more advanced things on their phone than Apple allows (third-party keyboards, for example,) some do it solely because they like "having the freedom" to do what they want. Some, yes, do it to load pirated apps.

I have waffled back and forth with jailbreaking. I liked some of the jailbreak-only apps in the past, but gradually apps with the same functionality became available on the official App Store (or the functionality became built-in to the OS.) Each OS version, more and more of the features I jailbroke for end up available "legitimately." With iOS 8, all of my remaining reasons will be gone. I will upgrade to iOS 8 on launch day, even if no jailbreak is available. And if no jailbreak ever becomes available, I won't worry.

I do consider the fact that jailbreaks come out to be a good thing, though. It both keeps Apple competitive, and helps find legitimate security holes and gets them fixed!

No need for this big explanation about stuff i and most others already know. All i said was that i dont understand why this story is on MacRumots when there just be stuff about Apple made stuff or certified third party Apple stuff. Is there aomething to complain and waste time typing about now?

arnoz

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
Switzerland
I've only JB once on 7.0.4 so quick Q if you don't mind: what's the best process to use 7.1.1 and jailbreak it while not losing data?

- backup using iTunes
- how to backup JB data?
- reset phone and upgrade to 7.1.1
- JB
- restore from iTunes back
- how to restore JB data?

Any clues? And so Cydia will still be available with the JB Pangu, right?

Thanks

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Sorry but your arguments are bs.
You accepted apples Eula and you accepted to buy a system, where you don't have full access. And your house theory is not right.
When you buy a car, you aren't allowed to get full access to the main chip to get more hp. And if you go to a company to chip your car to get more hp, your warranty is not valid anymore.

Think before you write such wrong things.

In some countries, Eula's are invalid... especially when they can only be agreed upon AFTER the product packaging has been opened.

amirite

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2009
I haven't jailbroken my iPhone since 2010. Can anyone give me a few reasons to do so now?

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
To me, i don't find jailbreaking is proper news to be on here. I think that because jailbreaking a phone doesn't seem right to me. That is just my opinion and maybe if I tried jailbreaking, it might justify my answer. But I don't think this should be on MacRumors

We have a Jailbreaks section on MR forums you know.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix

First off there's a giant section in the forums just for it.

By now you have been torn to shreads but you should check out what it actually is. Not everyone who jailbreaks uses it for illegal things (piracy, cheating at games, etc)

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
I've only JB once on 7.0.4 so quick Q if you don't mind: what's the best process to use 7.1.1 and jailbreak it while not losing data?

- backup using iTunes
- how to backup JB data?
- reset phone and upgrade to 7.1.1
- JB
- restore from iTunes back
- how to restore JB data?

Any clues? And so Cydia will still be available with the JB Pangu, right?

Thanks

When you update to 7.1.1 you can restore from your backup immediately afterward - that happens prior to the Pangu jailbreak.

I've had mixed results using tweaks that supposedly backup and restore jailbreak data in these sorts of situations. Activator's built-in option to do this for its own settings does seem to work. But I just make a list of my installed tweaks before I update.

And yes, Cydia is installed as part of the Pangu jailbreak, and the default repos are all installed as well.

My advice is to be patient. The jailbreak failed halfway through two different times for me - third time was a charm. If it fails for you, just run Pangu again. And check out some of the help threads, especially on Reddit's /r/jailbreak.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I haven't jailbroken my iPhone since 2010. Can anyone give me a few reasons to do so now?

I am in the same boat. The biggest item I had heard was the keyboard. I am fine with the one I get, but iOS 8 will allow me to try others. In general, I would say that if there are things you want to change that Apple will not let you change (like the keyboard or icons) then jail breaking may be right for you. Personally, part of the value proposition of Apple is that it just works. I left windows in my rearview mirror precisely because I was sick of all the constant tinkering. I am at that point in life where I rather spend my time on other activities. So for me I use everything Apple the way Apple designed them. It is not perfect, but overall, I am much better off than with Windows or Android or jail breaking (in that order).

amirite

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2009
I am in the same boat. The biggest item I had heard was the keyboard. I am fine with the one I get, but iOS 8 will allow me to try others. In general, I would say that if there are things you want to change that Apple will not let you change (like the keyboard or icons) then jail breaking may be right for you. Personally, part of the value proposition of Apple is that it just works. I left windows in my rearview mirror precisely because I was sick of all the constant tinkering. I am at that point in life where I rather spend my time on other activities. So for me I use everything Apple the way Apple designed them. It is not perfect, but overall, I am much better off than with Windows or Android or jail breaking (in that order).

I agree, although there used to be a few things that made it worth jailbreaking. Now I can't imagine what else I could want besides the new features in 8.

I bought an app that enables the built in hotspot functionality while being on att unlimited data.

I'm not bound to any hotspot restrictions and my phone is factory unlocked, so two more reasons I no longer need a jailbreak :/ Is the community dying?

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003

My favorite is probably Activator. I can assign swipe gestures to replace certain actions - for example, I swipe left across the task bar instead of hit the home button (my home button still works... I just don't have to press it). I swipe right to get to the app switcher. I hold down on the task bar to turn the screen off. And so on...

(Back before I owned an iPhone, I had an old iPod Touch where the home button stopped working. Having jailbroken it meant it continued to be completely functional rather than becoming a paperweight)

Having SSH access means I can install DuckDuckGo as my default search engine.

ProtectMyPrivacy gives me even more control over what apps can and can't access on my phone.

There are more, but those three immediately sprang to mind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.