Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hindmost

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2009
Not working right on my iPhone 4. It installs Pangu, but when the phone reboots, the application on the computer times out before the phone gets to the home screen.

hmmmm......’chinese’...? I wonder. ‘Pangu’ means ‘Phart’ in Korean. Wonder if there is a connect with Korea.

hkenneth

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2011
Sorry but your arguments are bs.
You accepted apples Eula and you accepted to buy a system, where you don't have full access. And your house theory is not right.
When you buy a car, you aren't allowed to get full access to the main chip to get more hp. And if you go to a company to chip your car to get more hp, your warranty is not valid anymore.

Think before you write such wrong things.

Warranty may be invalid, but that doesn't mean it is not way things supposed to be. Intel also sells k series CPU chips at a higher price for which the only extra function is to allow users to overclock, but Intel will void the warranty if you actually do so (and let them know).

----------

hmmmm......’chinese’...? I wonder. ‘Pangu’ means ‘Phart’ in Korean. Wonder if there is a connect with Korea.

Pangu is the God who created the universe in traditional Chinese mythology. Do some research before you post non-sense.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2006
California
Worked jailbreaking 7.1.2 on my first-gen Mini.

Now on 7.1.1 it had been rather finicky (it took three tries to succeed), so I did things differently this time. I restored to 7.1.2, but then set it up "as a new ipad" rather than restore from backup. I then jailbroke it (worked first time), installed all my tweaks, then reinstalled the iPad software and settings from my latest pre-7.1.2 backup. It all worked like a charm.

Thanks! I did the same.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Technically, NOTHING about iPhones should be on MACrumors but I don't see anyone complaining about that. I have to admit the, "jailbreaking is wrong" crowd cracks me up. :D

I see such complaints all the time. I suppose they may often be somewhat sarcastic.

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
I am sure it has been posted elsewhere, but I see people on here talking about various apps not working.

I think the cause is an outdated version of xCON. The newest beta version is fine, but the one installed by the included "sources" in Cydia, cause most apps to Force Close (FC).

remove xCON and see if you Mail.app functions again. I rejailbroke several times and kept having that issue. I removed tweaks one at a time until it worked again.

I am sure people used Aptbackup, and if so may have inadvertently installed a incompatible tweak.

I am confident that if you remove the old xCON your mail app will work again.

fingernagel

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2010
Yep. Working great with iPhone 4s and 7.1.2. Also, I did a backup in iTunes, installed newest iOS version, then set it up as a new phone, then jailbroken it, and then I restored the backup I did before. This is the normal way to do it and it worked flawlessly.

Also, 7.1.2 is so much faster and responsive than 7.0.4. I am very happy about the new Jailbreak!!!

tongxinshe

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
The ONLY major benefit of jailbreak is being able to do SIM unlock, so please make it clear whether it includes that capability with the jailbreak, otherwise it's a piece of news with VERY VERY limited meaning.

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
'Pangu' Jailbreak for iOS 7.1.x Updated with Support for OS X and English

The ONLY major benefit of jailbreak is being able to do SIM unlock, so please make it clear whether it includes that capability with the jailbreak, otherwise it's a piece of news with VERY VERY limited meaning.

People don't do software unlocks by jb anymore. Beside, there are plenty of other benefits to jailbreaking.

Otis Bagotis

macrumors member
May 9, 2013
I tried just backing up my phone and doing the jailbreak but it failed 6 to 7 times. I eventually restored my phone to original, did the jailbreak, and then restored from backup. That ended up working the first time. So happy to finally have a jailbreak on my 5s. It's been hell not having Bite SMS.

macsforever

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2014
Warranty may be invalid, but that doesn't mean it is not way things supposed to be. Intel also sells k series CPU chips at a higher price for which the only extra function is to allow users to overclock, but Intel will void the warranty if you actually do so (and let them know).

----------

Pangu is the God who created the universe in traditional Chinese mythology. Do some research before you post non-sense.
???????

rahhb.riley

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2009
a State
AKA: I don't really know what this is, but it sounds dodgy, so I'm going to complain about it?

Jailbreaking is simply allowing users to use their iPhone in a way they see fit, separate from Apple's "walled garden." Some people find it useful to do more advanced things on their phone than Apple allows (third-party keyboards, for example,) some do it solely because they like "having the freedom" to do what they want. Some, yes, do it to load pirated apps.

I have waffled back and forth with jailbreaking. I liked some of the jailbreak-only apps in the past, but gradually apps with the same functionality became available on the official App Store (or the functionality became built-in to the OS.) Each OS version, more and more of the features I jailbroke for end up available "legitimately." With iOS 8, all of my remaining reasons will be gone. I will upgrade to iOS 8 on launch day, even if no jailbreak is available. And if no jailbreak ever becomes available, I won't worry.

I do consider the fact that jailbreaks come out to be a good thing, though. It both keeps Apple competitive, and helps find legitimate security holes and gets them fixed!

This! I've been a long time jailbreaker (original iPhone unlocked on T-Mobile era). But I do find less reason to jailbreak as the years have gone by. Mainly for reasons you mention, many of the features I was jailbreaking for were now apart of the iOS. There are still a few I really like to have if I can, but I won't sacrifice having the next generation iOS updates anymore for it. I jailbroke 7.0.4 and I'll wait for iOS 8 before updating at this point to continue enjoying the benefits of the JB for awhile. Also hoping for Evaders to pan out for an early iOS 8 JB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.