Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
I never had a question to begin with, I said it once and I will say it again, it is my OPINION. If you don't like my opinion, don't bother replying to it.

Technically, the other guy was expressing his opinion as well, soooo....

I'm personally glad MacRumors puts jailbreak headlines on the front page (THANK YOU MR!). If you don't keep up with the jailbreak scene, you can easily miss an update, and soon enough Apple will kill the exploit.

It's a shame that so many folks link jailbreaking to pirating. I've got about a dozen tweaks (most free, others paid for, never pirated) running on my devices and they completely enhance their functionality and appearance. BTC Mouse and Keyboard make life with a single device possible!:)

ShinySteelRobot

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Upper Left Corner, USA
To me, i don't find jailbreaking is proper news to be on here. I think that because jailbreaking a phone doesn't seem right to me. That is just my opinion and maybe if I tried jailbreaking, it might justify my answer. But I don't think this should be on MacRumors

1. Jailbreaking has been dragged through the US legal system and is completely legal.
2. iPhone developers (like me) have legitimate compelling reasons to jailbreak their phones.
3. On a recent trip to the nearby Apple Store, the subject of jailbreaking came up during a discussion with one of the Geniuses. He told me that the majority of Geniuses at that Apple Store jailbreak their phones.
4. No offense, but just because you don't agree with something that's perfectly legal doesn't mean it shouldn't be on MacRumors.com

----------

can someone confirm is this really works for iOS 7.1.X? What about 7.1.2?

A few posts above and on the previous page there are reports that it works for 7.1.2.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
1. Jailbreaking has been dragged through the US legal system and is completely legal.
2. iPhone developers (like me) have legitimate compelling reasons to jailbreak their phones.
3. On a recent trip to the nearby Apple Store, the subject of jailbreaking came up during a discussion with one of the Geniuses. He told me that the majority of Geniuses at that Apple Store jailbreak their phones.
4. No offense, but just because you don't agree with something that's perfectly legal doesn't mean it shouldn't be on MacRumors.com

----------

A few posts above and on the previous page there are reports that it works for 7.1.2.

Technically, NOTHING about iPhones should be on MACrumors but I don't see anyone complaining about that. I have to admit the, "jailbreaking is wrong" crowd cracks me up. :D

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
When you buy a car, you aren't allowed to get full access to the main chip to get more hp. And if you go to a company to chip your car to get more hp, your warranty is not valid anymore.

Think before you write such wrong things.

Actually on the contrary, there are laws that allow you to modify and repair your car. They can't invalid your warranty on everything just because you chipped your ECU.

CrazyForApple

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
Buffalo, NY

----------

I never said anything about it being legal or not, that doesn't matter to me

----------

Technically, the other guy was expressing his opinion as well, soooo....

I'm personally glad MacRumors puts jailbreak headlines on the front page (THANK YOU MR!). If you don't keep up with the jailbreak scene, you can easily miss an update, and soon enough Apple will kill the exploit.

It's a shame that so many folks link jailbreaking to pirating. I've got about a dozen tweaks (most free, others paid for, never pirated) running on my devices and they completely enhance their functionality and appearance. BTC Mouse and Keyboard make life with a single device possible!:)

the reason I am against Jailbreaking is because I know a lot of people that use it in a bad away. I am perfectly fine with people tweaking their phone for good things like design tweaks.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Anyone tried it on their iPad?

Worked jailbreaking 7.1.2 on my first-gen Mini.

Now on 7.1.1 it had been rather finicky (it took three tries to succeed), so I did things differently this time. I restored to 7.1.2, but then set it up "as a new ipad" rather than restore from backup. I then jailbroke it (worked first time), installed all my tweaks, then reinstalled the iPad software and settings from my latest pre-7.1.2 backup. It all worked like a charm.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
I'm going to wait. Sounds like this jailbreak isn't very reliable yet.

----------

debating on coming from 7.0.4, what benefits are there?

Benefit: SSL bug fixed. I've heard that the Cydia fix for it doesn't completely patch it, but I'm not sure. Except there's also the downside of the caps lock key being inverted in 7.1.x so it always looks like it's on.

----------

Just think of them as the new and improved Jony Ive, iOS 7 smilies. :p

Actually, they look like Jaguar smilies, all gooey. The old ones were like Snow Leopard smilies, AKA perfect :):cool::D;)
Also, the :apple: smiley no longer mimics the  Unicode character.

----------

the reason I am against Jailbreaking is because I know a lot of people that use it in a bad away. I am perfectly fine with people tweaking their phone for good things like design tweaks.

If it's any consolation, MacRumors doesn't post articles about updates to Appulous or whatever is the latest piracy app. Cydia not only doesn't include any piracy repositories, but it warns you about adding them. You have to go out of you way into the sketchy parts of the Internet and give shady programs access to your whole iPhone system to pirate iPhone apps; I know because I tried to pirate the old version of AIM (a free app) because one of the updates ruined it.

Last edited:

ahmede

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
Is any experiencing long boot times with pangu v1.10 and iOS 7.1.2 . iPhone 5 ?

blucable

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2012
I don't know, is there?

You came to this thread, about something that apparently has no interest to you, to complain about this story's existence, stating that you have no idea why jailbreaking happens, then immediately negating your own opinion by saying you have never done it.

I responded to your implied question.

If I'm at a bar, and I overhear a conversation about motorcycles, I don't walk over and go "I don't know why anyone would ride a motorcycle, it seems unsafe! But I've never ridden one." then complain when they actually reply. If you don't want a reply, then don't post. If you don't want to read about jailbreaking, then skip the stories on it.

Like it or not, to many iOS device users, a new jailbreak is news, thus it is worthy to report on on a website dedicated to news about Apple devices.

Goodsir you have successfully nailed it... :)

skinned66

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
Worked jailbreaking 7.1.2 on my first-gen Mini.

Now on 7.1.1 it had been rather finicky (it took three tries to succeed), so I did things differently this time. I restored to 7.1.2, but then set it up "as a new ipad" rather than restore from backup. I then jailbroke it (worked first time), installed all my tweaks, then reinstalled the iPad software and settings from my latest pre-7.1.2 backup. It all worked like a charm.

I had to do this on my iPad gen 4 running 7.0.4 as well.

I factory reset my iPhone 5 just because I carried over too many restores and wanted to start fresh. But my iPad would not jailbreak. Pangu said it was done but the part after it says "done" where the device reboots and drops the payload never occurred the 3x I tried it beforehand. The factory reset did the trick/"set up as new" did the trick.

And now I wait for my purchased Cydia packages to get updated :D

----------

Benefit: SSL bug fixed. I've heard that the Cydia fix for it doesn't completely patch it, but I'm not sure.

The test sites du jour for that specific vulnerability that I tried (2) after I installed Ryan Petrich's fix gave my devices a clean bill of health.

Maxerl

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
I haven't jailbroken my iPhone since 2010. Can anyone give me a few reasons to do so now?

I have a Wifi-only Ipad 2 that I want to use for navigation in my car. However, with Apples software the Ipad cannot use the GPS of another phone, not even an Iphone! Jailbreaking the Ipad and installing proper app from Cydia provides a mean to to this.

i4m

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
Sorry but your arguments are bs.
You accepted apples Eula and you accepted to buy a system, where you don't have full access. And your house theory is not right.
When you buy a car, you aren't allowed to get full access to the main chip to get more hp. And if you go to a company to chip your car to get more hp, your warranty is not valid anymore.

Bottom line is: Jailbreaking is legal (look it up). Whatever justification you like or don't like is secondary.

exizeo

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2014
Sorry but your arguments are bs.
You accepted apples Eula and you accepted to buy a system, where you don't have full access. And your house theory is not right.

Erm...

Yes you are. You just void the warrantee, and only the part that applies to the motor. If the windows were to fail for whatever reason, that wouldn't be affected. Also, many manufacturers approve certain HP-bump chips (DINAN, APR, BMS, Roush, etc). And many physical parts (exhaust) etc are fair play, since most people replace those with OEM parts when they go back to the dealership for warrantee issues.

exizeo

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2014
I never had a question to begin with, I said it once and I will say it again, it is my OPINION. If you don't like my opinion, don't bother replying to it.

Don't you know what a forum is for?

To post one's opinions and ideas on the web and to receive replies.

If you wanted to post something without anyone else seeing it, write it down on a piece of paper, then burn it. Or if you're against criticism...that's your problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.