Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
A lot of the ones I've taken are either stitched on the camera (iPhone or P&S) or cropped down to a panorama. I don't tend to shoot many with, but occasionally later will decide that it would be better as a panorama. Occasionally I'll shoot one with the mirrorless, and then I just stitch in Lightroom.

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
I've been learning my way around a new-to-me tech camera. This is hardly awesome by any standard and just barely a stitched image (2 image "pano"). It was fun to make though. You move the image sensor without moving the lens and you can tilt the lens as well for focus plane control. They're interesting photographic instruments because they slow you waaaay down. It's very much an all manual process. They're reasonably heavy and the older glass is amazing (and heavy). Because live view is really not that usable on the imaging sensor I'm using, the only real way to focus is with a laser distance measure. I could get a ground glass insert where you remove the sensor, do the upside down focus thing, and then replace the sensor but haven't gone that direction just yet. And a light meter for exposure. And cocking the shutter. "Just like them olden days" :). It's very much a "frames per hour" rate - not per second.

This is a 40mm lens with 10mm sensor fall and the second image with 15mm shift. 15mm was well past the image circle of this lens in the corners, especially with the 10mm fall so cropped to accommodate. Stitched in PT GUI.

City Park Pavillion by Ray Harrison, on Flickr

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
I've been learning my way around a new-to-me tech camera. This is hardly awesome by any standard and just barely a stitched image (2 image "pano"). It was fun to make though. You move the image sensor without moving the lens and you can tilt the lens as well for focus plane control. They're interesting photographic instruments because they slow you waaaay down. It's very much an all manual process. They're reasonably heavy and the older glass is amazing (and heavy). Because live view is really not that usable on the imaging sensor I'm using, the only real way to focus is with a laser distance measure. I could get a ground glass insert where you remove the sensor, do the upside down focus thing, and then replace the sensor but haven't gone that direction just yet. And a light meter for exposure. And cocking the shutter. "Just like them olden days" :). It's very much a "frames per hour" rate - not per second.

This is a 40mm lens with 10mm sensor fall and the second image with 15mm shift. 15mm was well past the image circle of this lens in the corners, especially with the 10mm fall so cropped to accommodate. Stitched in PT GUI.

City Park Pavillion by Ray Harrison, on Flickr
Yep the old 4x5 really forced you to think it through. Wish I had taken a few double shots at both extremes of lens shift, but of course stitching images together in those days was a lot of post image work and never very clean.

Reactions: r.harris1

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
Kind of falls into the useful information category, but it would be nice to know how the images are stitched, as some apps or cameras do a much better job than others. Until I started using Affinity, everything I tried did such a lousy job especially in the sky, that I learned to stitch by hand. I found it to be easier than cleaning up something that had been auto-stitched.
All of my content was stitched together with Windows Live Essentials photo gallery. It did a surprisingly good job for free, but, MS being MS, it's no longer even available. Then they gave up the quality free apps they had going for touch-centric apps that aren't worth a crap.

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
All of my content was stitched together with Windows Live Essentials photo gallery. It did a surprisingly good job for free, but, MS being MS, it's no longer even available. Then they gave up the quality free apps they had going for touch-centric apps that aren't worth a crap.
Man I hate anything and everything about touch screens!

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
Man I hate anything and everything about touch screens!
I had a Surface tablet for a while, but I gave up on touchscreen Windows a long time ago once it became clear that no developer (MS included) was taking it seriously. Even MS's own apps never really got that much attention. The iPad is the only quality tablet experience, IMO.

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
Shot this one yesterday and it was a bit of a challenge. Trying to stay steady and maintain the horizon line, with the wind gusting up around 80 Km/hr and my eyes tearing up. Affinity did a nice job of stitching the 3 panels and fixing minor perspective issues. Did the final clean-up in PS Elements. Punched the daylights out of it as it really is a bland time of year for photography.

From a knoll in the Buffalo Paddock area of Waterton National Park. Fuji XP 90 camera. FL equivalent ~40mm

Waterton_A.jpg

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
2b975cc281b78148c223b5a13f22f97e.jpg

The beautiful Lake District, one of my go to places for a weekend hiking break.
Lovely. I've visited the UK many times (30+) but somehow always managed to ignore the lake district. When is a good time to visit it? I'm scared by stories of crowded parking areas, full hiking paths etc.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Lovely. I've visited the UK many times (30+) but somehow always managed to ignore the lake district. When is a good time to visit it? I'm scared by stories of crowded parking areas, full hiking paths etc.

It does get busy during the peak times which is essentially summer. So late April onwards until September is probably the best time.

It’s a heaven for hikers but I’m sure if you look around you’ll find less crowded tracks.

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
It does get busy during the peak times which is essentially summer. So late April onwards until September is probably the best time.

It’s a heaven for hikers but I’m sure if you look around you’ll find less crowded tracks.
Thank you. I must plan a visit. We somehow almost managed to pass it and the stories didn't help to force a detour. Which is silly since we visited other busy spots like Wales, Yorkshire Dales and popular parts of the highlands.

Since this is a photo thread, a pano of the scotland:

01f0e4563d2677c7b5da9d18ddb1f6f8.jpg

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Thank you. I must plan a visit. We somehow almost managed to pass it and the stories didn't help to force a detour. Which is silly since we visited other busy spots like Wales, Yorkshire Dales and popular parts of the highlands.

Since this is a photo thread, a pano of the scotland:

01f0e4563d2677c7b5da9d18ddb1f6f8.jpg

This looks like the famous Glencoe valley.

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
For a free app (or software - not app) look at Hugin. It is a bit quirky/basic but it will stitch some that others refuse. It is 'open-source' and used as the underlying engine in some premium software.

Reactions: StrollerEd

StrollerEd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2011
Scotland
Just discovered this gallery of delights ... I've tried a few using the panorama settings on a compact camera and more recently on the iPhone 7 and 12 and might review them as candidates. But these are impressive, and especially delighted with the verticals which remind me how I have struggled to capture the awe within cathedrals and other large spaces.

Both the post-processing standalone apps and the algorithms with cameras clearly demonstrate the prowess delivered by the digital.

Reactions: kallisti

Mark0

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2014
SW Scotland
I love a good panoramic image and I especially enjoyed taking them on my Fuji GX617 panoramic camera before I sold it. I miss the camera, but not the expense of film (4 shots per roll of 120 film) or the scanning of the slides.

I need to get back to shooting some more digital panoramics and I hope it will be a bit easier now that I have a panoramic plate on my new Leofoto ballhead. Anyway, I digress... here's one of my favourites from the GX617...

Larbrax Bay, SW Scotland, April 2015.
Fuji GX617 Professional with Fujinon SWD 90mm f5.6 EBC lens: 1s / f22 / Fuji Velvia 50 using a 0.9 Neutral Density soft graduated filter.

Larbrax Bay small PL.png

The GX617, I do miss it sometimes :(

Photo 20-04-2014 11 55 03.png

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
I love a good panoramic image and I especially enjoyed taking them on my Fuji GX617 panoramic camera before I sold it. I miss the camera, but not the expense of film (4 shots per roll of 120 film) or the scanning of the slides.

I need to get back to shooting some more digital panoramics and I hope it will be a bit easier now that I have a panoramic plate on my new Leofoto ballhead. Anyway, I digress... here's one of my favourites from the GX617...

Larbrax Bay, SW Scotland, April 2015.
Fuji GX617 Professional with Fujinon SWD 90mm f5.6 EBC lens: 1s / f22 / Fuji Velvia 50 using a 0.9 Neutral Density soft graduated filter.

The GX617, I do miss it sometimes :(
Superb image quality, but they were a bear to print. Required an 8x10 enlarger as I recall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.