Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I love a good panoramic image and I especially enjoyed taking them on my Fuji GX617 panoramic camera before I sold it. I miss the camera, but not the expense of film (4 shots per roll of 120 film) or the scanning of the slides.

I need to get back to shooting some more digital panoramics and I hope it will be a bit easier now that I have a panoramic plate on my new Leofoto ballhead. Anyway, I digress... here's one of my favourites from the GX617...

Larbrax Bay, SW Scotland, April 2015.
Fuji GX617 Professional with Fujinon SWD 90mm f5.6 EBC lens: 1s / f22 / Fuji Velvia 50 using a 0.9 Neutral Density soft graduated filter.

View attachment 1753860

The GX617, I do miss it sometimes :(

View attachment 1753861
Isn't that the one Thomas Heaton recently started to use? Lovely beach shot.

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
Went out to the Wetlands Park this morning. While the focus was on wildlife, though about taking a pano to demonstrate the area. While both were taken from the same spot, one centers on one of the breeding islands for storks and Rosetta Spoonbills. There are islands closer in but they choose the one furthest out - but at least I can catch them in flight.

Wetlands pano 1 - 7,000px.jpg
Wetlands pano3 - 9000px.jpg

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
This thread got me thinking about panoramas more lately! Here's one from the sunset this evening:
IMG_6791-Pano.jpg

Stitched with Lightroom. I'm not sure why Boundary Warp is off by default in Lightroom, it's a great feature! Normally I would have taken just this photo instead, but I like how the pano came out:
IMG_6831.jpg

Mark0

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2014
SW Scotland
Superb image quality, but they were a bear to print. Required an 8x10 enlarger as I recall.

Yeah, the slides are something else. I never did any darkroom stuff though. I outsourced the developing but scanned the slides myself ??

Isn't that the one Thomas Heaton recently started to use? Lovely beach shot.

Yes it is. It amazed me how little he researched using the thing, as evidenced by his first two trips, where all he did was moan and whinge about it. He was also going on about filters and I nearly emailed him to say that the roll bars can be easily removed (they can slide in and out with the screws removed) so that a filter holder can be fitted easily. The splayed bars don’t really allow this.
Anyway, I do enjoy his channel and I’ve been watching him for years. He is entertaining and I like his images and presenting style.

Reactions: bondr006

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Yeah, the slides are something else. I never did any darkroom stuff though. I outsourced the developing but scanned the slides myself ??

Yes it is. It amazed me how little he researched using the thing, as evidenced by his first two trips, where all he did was moan and whinge about it. He was also going on about filters and I nearly emailed him to say that the roll bars can be easily removed (they can slide in and out with the screws removed) so that a filter holder can be fitted easily. The splayed bars don’t really allow this.
Anyway, I do enjoy his channel and I’ve been watching him for years. He is entertaining and I like his images and presenting style.
Absolutely. It’s his enthusiasm for photography rather than a constant plug for gear that I like.

Reactions: Mark0

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
A three image stitch. Colorado has two main seasons: brown+blue and green+blue. The former is much longer than the latter. These both get interrupted by either white snow or dark thunderstorms, depending. We're famous for our mountains of course, but most of the state is plains and high desert. When I was driving across the country to go to school here in the 80s, I had been driving for hours and hours across Kansas and immediately expected to see mountains the second I crossed the Colorado border. Alas, it was still some hours of driving through the Great Plains before they were in clear view. Denver is the "Mile High" city because of the height of plains area not because it sits on a mountain :).

Early Morning Cottonwoods by Ray Harrison, on Flickr

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
Catawba River with the rare Rocky Shoals Spider Lily in bloom.

One of the few remaining areas where they bloom as dams for hydroelectric power have destroyed the shallow rocky shoal habitat. As I took this, on the same platform, Duke Power was preparing to launch a drone to survey this years bloom as they actively manage the water levels to support the shoal while still generating power upstream.

The pano was 14 frames in portrait orientation stitched and really had to reduce in size (1500px on short side) to post.
Rocky Shoals Spyder Lilly - 1500 px.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.