Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

holy MAC!

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2003
i think this looks legit

i actually think this looks legit, cuz else it's a very good and thought out dup.

Mr.Hey

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Agree. As someone else pointed out at another forum, if you had access to Panther and made the decision to leak images why not produce a detailed documentation of the new OS.

beez7777

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2002
Notre Dame
in the "about the finder window" in the screenshot, why is it trademark and copywrited 2002? if this is gonna be a new os pretty much, wouldnt it be TM'd 2003? especially since in the "about this mac" window it says 2003. :confused: the pile though looks kinda cool.

meghop

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2002
Can someone post these or host them or something? I can't get onto the site to see... :(

D*I*S_Frontman

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2002
Appleton,WI
Two good reasons

There are two good reasons to believe these "Panther Screenshots" are fake:

Arn doesn't buy them.

Apple legal has not come to crush the rumor and pull the images.

Remember the prelim MMD schematic? The heat came fast and furious on that one.

True hardware rumor test:

If it is a major renovation or new product that Apple wants to keep the element of surprise on, then expect to--

a) see hastily leaked documents illustrating the item, and
b) MINUTES later, not hours or days, said documents or images being replaced by Apple legal disclaimers.

If an image or alleged internal document is bantied about for a week on the rumor sites, it's likely a fake.

Rule of thumb: if a rumor looks juicy, save any related sites to your HD. If they are pulled 10 minutes later, you've got a winner...

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by beez7777
in the "about the finder window" in the screenshot, why is it trademark and copywrited 2002? if this is gonna be a new os pretty much, wouldnt it be TM'd 2003? especially since in the "about this mac" window it says 2003. :confused: the pile though looks kinda cool.
well not really, look at the about finder window, ours says 2002. everything looks right on that picture, cant find any messups if it was fake. developers probably dont worry about little things like that until the end. we have had 10.2.5 come out and it still says 2002.

iJon

ratspg

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
anyone get em?

That site seemed to go down pretty quickly, hehe. Anyone get pics so we can view em? Wonder what the fuss is all about. I haven't seen it yet, but I'd just assume they were fake considering how Apple would feel to let screeny's get leaked.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
hey those look interesting. now whether they are real or not it isn't at all far fetched...like that ridiculous apple ipod mouse phone...phhh. it really could be panther screenshots. while there is no evidence that they are real there is also no evidence that they are false...is there?

Pallish

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2003
Sweden
The pics =)

Hmm.... the desktop pic is too big to post here but if u tell me how i can shrink I'll gladly do it..

Pallish

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2003
Sweden
File menu

Here's the pic of the file menu at least..

Attachments

• panther (10.3) file menu by pallish.jpg
    panther (10.3) file menu by pallish.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 12,811

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
here is the other pic. i find it funny how the guy earlier said if these are real they would be pulled from the website, and what do ya know, we cant acces the site anymore.

iJon

Attachments

• panter2.jpg
    panter2.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 13,451

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
personally, i see no reason to believe these are fake.

the 2002 thing is acceptable in my view and as for 'apple legal', jaguar builds were floating around for ages, screenshots aplenty, i have a feeling, though i am not a lawyer, that the laws are different for screenshots. it is a breach of contract to release such screenshots, but i don't believe it is against the law to show screenshots.

Pallish

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2003
Sweden
The weirdest thing....

Is that the buld number is right beside the version...
Sure.. they could've changed it but isn't that a bit wtf?! :)

in 10.2 u have to click on the version so that the build number appears..

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
Re: The weirdest thing....

Originally posted by Pallish
Is that the buld number is right beside the version...
Sure.. they could've changed it but isn't that a bit wtf?! :)

in 10.2 u have to click on the version so that the build number appears..

Well, it does jump a version number. And they do change things. I believe its legit.

I got the images on my webspace if anyone finds the others slow

mainscreen

piles

DeusOmnis

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
Good Strategy

I wouldnt be surprised if Steve had these leaked intentionally. With questions coming up about why the G5 isnt out and how motorola isnt going to be putting out any faster processors, mac users need hope, and this is a worthwhile distraction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.