Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The controversial social media app Parler has today returned to the App Store, several months after Apple suspended it for breach of App Store rules.

parler-app.jpg

Parler was removed from the App Store in January because Apple said that it failed to take "adequate measures to address the proliferation" of "threats to people's safety."

According to the Washington Post, Parler has now implemented a moderation algorithm that can detect and hide "hate," allowing the app to meet App Store rules. Users who access Parler elsewhere, such as in a browser, will be able to see a less moderated version of the platform.

Article Link: Parler Returns to the App Store With Improved Moderation

Reactions: KingBowser64

LeadingHeat

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2015
Hide, as in you can still view them? This may be the best of both worlds honestly. That way you don’t get the offensive/fake/etc posts in your feed but you can still view them if you’d like to, maybe from your favorite authors/sources?

Could definitely be reading into this wrong but it sounds good. I’ve also admittedly never used the app.
Parler has now implemented a moderation algorithm that can detect and hide "hate," allowing the app to meet App Store rules.

bmunge

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Hate speech is one thing but I wish they also had some restrictions on misinformation as well. It's not healthy to have such a large part of our population believing in conspiracy theories and nonsense. I don't think Apple should support that on their platform.

Techwatcher

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
NYC
I missed everything. Why was Parler controversial? Wasn't it just a Twitter alternative?
Apparently it was an app marketed around free speech, but the issue was there was a lot of hate speech on it. The irony is Twitter is flooded with hate speech lol.

At least the company [Parler] has been making an effort to fix Apple's complaints.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I missed everything. Why was Parler controversial? Wasn't it just a Twitter alternative?
Parler is just one big right wing/hate speech/misinformation echo chamber (similar to facebook, but even worse). The app was used to coordinate the 1/6 insurrection and basically had no guardrails to prevent such a thing.

Last edited:

Feyl

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
Anyone who think Parler is some evil place but Twitter and Facebook is not is thinking that because they were told to think that. There's literally no difference. All social media are the same. It's similar as if I said that people who commute with cars are evil dictators and people who use public transport are wonderful people. Facebook and Twitter is worse, but it's just that those two like to protect some people or groups.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
Keep in mind Parler was removed for failing to moderate its platform in anyway and specifically with regards to continued incitement of violence and direct violent threats by members. I doubt they will be able to moderate it moving forward even on iOS and at some point will be booted again.

Xenden

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2013
Rio Rancho, NM
This is the best way to do thing. Different viewpoint should be tolerated. The crazies should be getting rid of.

No, the crazies are the ones who need protecting. Why have free speech if you’re going to allow only “tolerated opinions.”

(I know that private companies don’t have to follow the bill of rights, but I’m of the opinion that, when you turn a website into a public forum, you have to allow pretty much anything. (By anything, I mean, if you could talk about it at a city council meeting and would get dragged away, it should be allowed.))

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
No, the crazies are the ones who need protecting. Why have free speech if you’re going to allow only “tolerated opinions.”

(I know that private companies don’t have to follow the bill of rights, but I’m of the opinion that, when you turn a website into a public forum, you have to allow pretty much anything.)
Parler did allow and still allows "pretty much anything" on their web site. It's the app that was rejected by Apple for not following the App Store guidelines. Apple has control of their store, not the internet.

benshive

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2017
United States

(I know that private companies don’t have to follow the bill of rights, but I’m of the opinion that, when you turn a website into a public forum, you have to allow pretty much anything. (By anything, I mean, if you could talk about it at a city council meeting and would get dragged away, it should be allowed.))
I've always been very passionate about free speech, but that doesn't mean that moderation is completely unnecessary. If you showed up at a city council meeting and started openly planning an attack on the US Capitol building with other attendees you'd be taken away in cuffs and it wouldn't be considered protected speech.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.