Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
Fox News must have really done a number on you. The amount of Fox talking points that the radical right just regurgitates any time their failed insurrection is brought up is amazing.

You keep pointing to that USA Today article as confirmation that the events of 1/6 were planned on Parler. It does not describe that, it talks about the events in real-time, but of course leaves important "real-time" facts out. It uses a funky graph with no y-axis scale to make it look soooo scary. Then the second graph looks super scary too, with the term "civil war" increasing a whopping 0.117% in proportion. It was used 194 times in the 80,146 posts that were examined. Also, if you look closely, terms like "federal law", "fbi", "cia", "gop establishment", "vice president", and "parallel economy" were in the negative category, even if just slightly.

What you have cited is a hit piece on Donald Trump. It fits your narrative that he incited an "insurrection". An event so well planned out and contrived by him that the morons tried to pull this off with NO weapons - great plan! The man is no orator (and I do believe he should have done more in the immediate hours after), but if you actually listen to the speech, it contains words like "peaceful" as well. The article also makes it seem as if the mob left the stage and marched after being coerced to do so. This forgets the fact that the mob was already at the capitol steps long before the speech was even over. So don't act so righteous when convenient facts are left on the cutting floor purposefully to drive a narrative. This is the crap that is regurgitated non stop that foments anger, THESE are talking points. But you can't stop there. You must silence anyone that doesn't fall in line - you call it "misinformation" because it is different than the selectively edited information that you pick and chose to confirm your position.

This one event (and it IS a shameful one) has been and will continue to be used to impose even more tyranny.

aaronhead14

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
The entire country was locked down? Haha, so dramatic. Did the phone lines get cut also?
Seriously, why are you defending mass censorship? I just don’t understand your position here.

In fact, the phone example is a good one. How is a telephone company any different than a social media company? They have customers who use their service, and are (or should be) free to speak how they please. Social media shouldn’t be any different.

Stop supporting censorship. It’s evil.

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
imo it's dangerous to have a left wing (Twitter for the most part) and a right wing (Parler) social media app. It'll just turn into 2 separate echo chambers and further divide.
Bingo. Of course Parler grew from the notion that Twitter selectively targets certain things or people to censor or flag. Don't do that, and we have a discourse chamber instead.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Seriously, why are you defending mass censorship? I just don’t understand your position here.

In fact, the phone example is a good one. How is a telephone company any different than a social media company? They have customers who use their service, and are (or should be) free to speak how they please. Social media shouldn’t be any different.

Stop supporting censorship. It’s evil.
Haha it’s a private company. Like no shirt, no service. Same deal. It’s also not mass censorship, just the racist dummies spewing hate and lies. If a company doesn’t what that garbage on their platform, that’s up to them.

• Disagree
Reactions: Shadowcatz

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
You keep pointing to that USA Today article as confirmation that the events of 1/6 were planned on Parler. It does not describe that, it talks about the events in real-time, but of course leaves important "real-time" facts out. It uses a funky graph with no y-axis scale to make it look soooo scary. Then the second graph looks super scary too, with the term "civil war" increasing a whopping 0.117% in proportion. It was used 194 times in the 80,146 posts that were examined. Also, if you look closely, terms like "federal law", "fbi", "cia", "gop establishment", "vice president", and "parallel economy" were in the negative category, even if just slightly.

What you have cited is a hit piece on Donald Trump. It fits your narrative that he incited an "insurrection". An event so well planned out and contrived by him that the morons tried to pull this off with NO weapons - great plan! The man is no orator (and I do believe he should have done more in the immediate hours after), but if you actually listen to the speech, it contains words like "peaceful" as well. The article also makes it seem as if the mob left the stage and marched after being coerced to do so. This forgets the fact that the mob was already at the capitol steps long before the speech was even over. So don't act so righteous when convenient facts are left on the cutting floor purposefully to drive a narrative. This is the crap that is regurgitated non stop that foments anger, THESE are talking points. But you can't stop there. You must silence anyone that doesn't fall in line - you call it "misinformation" because it is different than the selectively edited information that you pick and chose to confirm your position.

This one event (and it IS a shameful one) has been and will continue to be used to impose even more tyranny.
Okay okay, they planned it on Parler AND Facebook.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
Fox News must have really done a number on you. The amount of Fox talking points that the radical right just regurgitates any time their failed insurrection is brought up is amazing.

I agree with the jist of the comment you're replying to (minus the inflammatory language about the BLM "riots") and I'm a progressive on almost all issues. I don't like Trump at all and haven't watched more than 5 minutes of Fox News outside of spectating the sort of garbage that gets spewed out of it.

American politics is based on what Bush so eloquently described as "You're either with us or against us." Either you believe Parler should be nuked and the "insurrection" was a massive blow to American democracy or you're an alt-right goon glued to Murdoch's media. That's the message being projected for the most part on either side of the aisle. Wrong. You can agree on some things and disagree on others. I don't think Parler should have been pummeled the way it was whilst ignoring the bigger culprits. Those paying attention saw it for what it was: a flex to demonstrate how quickly a dissenting platform can be removed from public access. Personally I think Facebook's platform being used to support severe misinformation campaigns both here in the US (their platform was literally Trump's greatest tool during the 2016 election) and abroad is a far greater crime than some randoms spewing nonsense about how much they hate liberals and Biden. Again, this is not to say that Parler's content was okay; rather I'm bringing attention to the blatant double standards and hypocrisy of those calling for its removal. In case you were wondering, Facebook has not been punished in the slightest for their significant role in Trump's election.

To me it's fairly obvious: If the USA can deploy the national guard and predator drones on US soil to crack down within milliseconds at the sight of a BLM protest then it should have been trivial to prevent even one person from entering the Capitol, one of the most important buildings in America. Instead they had 3 Capitol police sitting around drinking coffee, with some even ushering in protestors into the building (WTF!? P.s, we only know this because people utilized their free speech abilities to share video of it on social media). The "insurrection" was allowed to happen because the major stakeholders in this country realized a spectacle like this can be propagandized to the moon in order to sway public opinion on whether draconian, undefined measures against "misinformation" should be passed. Why is Parler a bigger story than the Capitol police talking to the protestors as if they were family?

Never forget the greatest threat to the American elite is ordinary people organizing against the obscenely wealthy. Ironically the strongest measure against misinformation is improving education and economic access but America does not care about that at all because focusing on that would empower ordinary citizens which is exactly what they don't want. Just as mass spying programs were passed in the name of terrorism only to be used to spy on activists, journalists, technologists, protestors, foreign allies, and all manner of innocent civilians, anti-misinformation programs will be used to suppress left-wing activists and media more-so than it will be used to stop people believing vaccines turn you gay or whatever else these people come up with.

Last edited:

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
Twitter has better lobbyists and PR so they get a pass for doing the same thing.
Actually, it's not a matter of lobbying, but a matter of being leftish-trendy. Hate posts that are left-friendly (think BLM or antifa -who are actually pro-fa) are not considered to be hate just because they follow the left trend, not because of any lobbying at all.

Reactions: Mr. Awesome

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I agree with the comment you're replying to and I'm a progressive on almost all issues. I don't like Trump at all and haven't watched more than 5 minutes of Fox News outside of spectating the sort of garbage that gets spewed out of it.

American politics is based on what Bush so eloquently described as "You're either with us or against us." Either you believe Parler should be nuked and the "insurrection" was a massive blow to American democracy or you're an alt-right goon glued to Murdoch's media. That's the message being projected for the most part on either side of the aisle. Wrong. You can agree on some things and disagree on others. I don't think Parler should have been pummeled the way it was whilst ignoring the bigger culprits. Those paying attention saw it for what it was: a flex to demonstrate how quickly a dissenting platform can be removed from public access. Personally I think Facebook's platform being used to support severe misinformation campaigns both here in the US (their platform was literally Trump's greatest tool during the 2016 election) and abroad is a far greater crime than some randoms spewing nonsense about how much they hate liberals and Biden. Again, this is not to say that Parler's content was okay; rather I'm bringing attention to the blatant double standards and hypocrisy of those calling for its removal. In case you were wondering, Facebook has not been punished in the slightest for their significant role in Trump's election.

To me it's fairly obvious: If the USA can deploy the national guard and predator drones on US soil to crack down within milliseconds at the sight of a BLM protest then it should have been trivial to prevent even one person from entering the Capitol, one of the most important buildings in America. Instead they had 3 Capitol police sitting around drinking coffee, with some even ushering in protestors into the building (WTF!? P.s, we only know this because people utilized their free speech abilities to share video of it on social media). The "insurrection" was allowed to happen because the major stakeholders in this country realized a spectacle like this can be propagandized to the moon in order to sway public opinion on whether draconian, undefined measures against "misinformation" should be passed. Why is Parler a bigger story than the Capitol police talking to the protestors as if they were family?

Never forget the greatest threat to the American elite is ordinary people organizing against the obscenely wealthy. Ironically the strongest measure against misinformation is improving education and economic access but America does not care about that at all because focusing on that would empower ordinary citizens which is exactly what they don't want. Just as mass spying programs were passed in the name of terrorism only to be used to spy on activists, journalists, technologists, protestors, foreign allies, and all manner of innocent civilians, anti-misinformation programs will be used to suppress left-wing activists and media more-so than it will be used to stop people believing vaccines turn you gay or whatever else these people come up with.
Fair points and I appreciate the response. When it comes to parler, I think Apple looked at the sheer amount of lies and hate being perpetuated on it, before and after 1/6, and just felt it just wasn’t worth the risk considering they had no way to mitigate. It’s their platform, their call, I see no issue there. Facebook failed as well, and has since 2016, but Apple hid behind the mitigation piece and assumed plans to fix were in place. With Facebook having much more to lose, Apple took that bet and removed what looked like the bigger risk at the time. In the end, it’s all a continuous loop of lies and hate. It’ll never stop.

Reactions: zakarhino

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
Yes, a government that locks down the entire country and makes it so social media is the only way people can speak with each other.

It’s definitely not important to secure free speech on social media. /s

This is what is known as a straw-man argument. It's also one the stupidest things I've ever read. You need to stop living your life through social media. It's not very social at all.

P.S. If you can't figure out the putative differences between how phone line functions vis a vis a social media platform then free speech is the least of your problems.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: aaronhead14

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
All I want to say about this is that I like the iPhone in the picture with the white bezels.

aaronhead14

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
If you can't figure out the putative differences between how phone line functions vis a vis a social media platform then free speech is the least of your problems.
Please explain the "putative differences" to my tiny walnut-sized brain, then.

The way I see it, they're both private companies that offer speech services to their customers. They offer virtually the same service. And in terms of Messenger and WhatsApp alone, they offer the literal same services as the various phone companies: Talk & Text.

Maybe instead of just dissing someone, how about you actually form a legitimate counter argument?

Last edited:
Reactions: pdoherty

prizm

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
Please explain the "putative differences" to my tiny walnut-sized brain, then.

The way I see it, they're both private companies that offer speech services to their customers. They offer virtually the same service. And in terms of Messenger and WhatsApp alone, they offer the literal same services as the various phone companies: Talk & Text.

Maybe instead of just dissing someone, how about you actually form a legitimate counter argument?

TOS states you can't incite violence.

Safety​

Violence: You may not threaten violence against an individual or a group of people. We also prohibit the glorification of violence. Learn more about our violent threat and glorification of violence policies.

Terrorism/violent extremism: You may not threaten or promote terrorism or violent extremism. Learn more.

aaronhead14

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
TOS states you can't incite violence.

Safety​

Violence: You may not threaten violence against an individual or a group of people. We also prohibit the glorification of violence. Learn more about our violent threat and glorification of violence policies.

Terrorism/violent extremism: You may not threaten or promote terrorism or violent extremism. Learn more.
Cool.

This also has zero relevance to the comment you quoted, so I’m not sure what you’re trying to say.

There’s also no cold hard proof that anyone actually incited violence on Parler. There’s plenty of evidence to suggest they did on FB, though. Check above posts.

jephrey

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2005
Finally - my older version wasn't working for a few days. Twitter and Facebook are so much worse (known terrorists and their organizations allowed to post there, misinformation, disinformation, silencing of opinions), it's moronic that Parler was pulled down in the first place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.