Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
The Surface Book has a dual core CPU with an unspecified NVIDEA GPU. And they're saying it "beats" the rMBP????

They also claimed two more processors...what does that mean? It surely can't be a quad core CPU since we've identified it as a dual core chip (because it uses HD 520 which is present in 15 watt dual core configs typically)

Does it mean two clusters of two cores each? That's not feasible. How will the heat be dissipated? They gave us basically nothing to work with here...

Last edited:

Surf Donkey

Suspended
May 12, 2015
Here are the specs on Best Buy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/microso...lver/4531401.p?id=1219758515255&skuId=4531401
RzY8o6S.jpg

MindsEye

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
The Surface Book has a dual core CPU with an unspecified NVIDEA GPU. And they're saying it "beats" the rMBP????

They also claimed two more processors...what does that mean? It surely can't be a quad core CPU since we've identified it as a dual core chip (because it uses HD 520 which is present in 15 watt dual core configs typically)

Does it mean two clusters of two cores each? That's not feasible. How will the heat be dissipated? They gave us basically nothing to work with here...

Feel the same way, config to config vs the rMBP 13" & 15" for me it just doesn't seem to hold the mustard. It has its advantages being a 2 in 1 so it can double as a tablet and has a digitizer. Personally though at 13.5" 3:2 , having used a 13.3" @ 16:9, pen users aside, this thing is going to be a little too unwieldy to be used as a tablet, especially in landscape.

Wont be upgrading my 2012 cMBP for a few years but once the rMBP get there Skylake refresh for me its better value for money.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
This doesn't detract from how amazing this laptop is. Feels like Microsoft has become the new Apple especially with the guy that presented...

Surf Donkey

Suspended
May 12, 2015
Thank you. I wonder why the Microsoft site doesn't mention that its dual core. It also never mentions what NVIDEA GPU it has so that's a worry. I bet its a 950M, which is still pretty great.

Yeah, someone over at Reddit did a thorough analysis trying to add it up as well:
https://www.reddit.com/r/gadgets/comments/3nsa5k/surface_book_something_does_not_add_up_with_the/

I agree it is worrisome. But as you said, still innovative and it will improve from this first iteration if it sells.

Reactions: TechGod

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Yeah, someone over at Reddit did a thorough analysis trying to add it up as well:
https://www.reddit.com/r/gadgets/comments/3nsa5k/surface_book_something_does_not_add_up_with_the/

I agree it is worrisome. But as you said, still innovative and it will improve from this first iteration if it sells.
His claim of an unknown second CPU is slightly...absurd. As I mentioned previously, for this thing to have two CPUs, it would have to have amazing in terms of heat dissipation. I just don't understand...

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013

It's the first skylake u mobile chip out 15watt tdp and its a dual core with hyperthreading so it can run 4 threads like a quad core

placidity44

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2015
I'd rather get a refurbished 2015 rMBP and an iPad Pro. I get OS X and more power, and iOS and a proper tablet and save some money compared to the high end model. I think Microsoft had a great presentation and i'm pumped to see the surfacebook in a year or two.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
I'd rather get a refurbished 2015 rMBP and an iPad Pro. I get OS X and more power, and iOS and a proper tablet and save some money compared to the high end model. I think Microsoft had a great presentation and i'm pumped to see the surfacebook in a year or two.
I personally think this Surface Book is gonna be great in the coming generations. Just wish they would remove that gap between the keyboard and screen.

placidity44

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2015
I personally think this Surface Book is gonna be great in the coming generations. Just wish they would remove that gap between the keyboard and screen.

I'm excited to play around with one at a bestbuy or somewhere. One things for certain though the competition is great for us consumers. My dream is that Apple makes a similar yet different device where an iPad Pro like display is connected to a butterfly mechanism keyboard with a force touch glass trackpad, and the internals are in there. You snap the iPad Pro like device to the keyboard and it's running OS X, you take it off its on iOS instantaneously. I'd like OS X when I need it and take the device off and...boom iOS for content consumption. I don't like the idea of merging OS X and iOS to one operating system.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
I'm excited to play around with one at a bestbuy or somewhere. One things for certain though the competition is great for us consumers. My dream is that Apple makes a similar yet different device where an iPad Pro like display is connected to a butterfly mechanism keyboard with a force touch glass trackpad, and the internals are in there. You snap the iPad Pro like device to the keyboard and it's running OS X, you take it off its on iOS instantaneously. I'd like OS X when I need it and take the device off and...boom iOS for content consumption. I don't like the idea of merging OS X and iOS to one operating system.
So like how Windows does Continuum? :p

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Continuum is not like continuity.
The previous poster said:
You snap the iPad Pro like device to the keyboard and it's running OS X, you take it off its on iOS instantaneously.

This sounds exactly like how Continuum adapts the UI of the app depending on what peripherals are connected

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm still impressed with the SurfaceBook. Like the SP3, I'll wait until its actually in people's hands before making a decision on it.

I don't think the top end model at 2,600 is worth the price. At that point why not by a 15" rMBP for 2,500. 200 dollars cheaper, you get a quad core processor and a larger display.

Reactions: tbayrgs

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
I'm not sure what was said about 2 cores but its most likely the dedicated graphics card gpu they are talking about.

Also Intel is charging 400 just for the chip and if it has a separate gpu from nvidias that adds to the price as well .

Reactions: rbrian

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Really? That's the only comment you make? One that's not even entirely correct at that?

Okay, I'm also quite excited about the new Microsoft products, including the Surface and its Nvidia processor. . . .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.