Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The one thing I worry about is the durability of the fulcrum hinge - I do wonder how it will hold up after years of opening and closing.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I'm still impressed with the SurfaceBook. Like the SP3, I'll wait until its actually in people's hands before making a decision on it.

I don't think the top end model at 2,600 is worth the price. At that point why not by a 15" rMBP for 2,500. 200 dollars cheaper, you get a quad core processor and a larger display.

I said something similar in the Microsoft products thread--$1499 sounds great until you realize that to get decent specs and the dedicated GPU, you're really starting at $1899. That being said, if the pen functionality is important to one's work, these devices look pretty damn good. The flexibility in form factor is pretty nice as well. I can't see using it for more than brief moments as a tablet due to it's size/weight and likely pretty short battery life but being able to quickly chance the laptop form (reverse the display, prop it up like tent, similar to a Yoga) could be quite useful.

If I was looking for a a dedicated Windows first device, this would certainly be on my short list.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Is it possible that it is a custom GPU from NVIDEA?

I preordered the Book so I've been trying to find info but my guess is it's a customized 950.

Far as the 2x as powerful, I'm pretty sure it's just marketing and not hard benchmarks. Kinda like how Apple claimed the iPad Pro is faster than 80% of all laptops based solely on clock speed. The two extra chips I have no clue. Some people speculated they used a quad core and the extra "chips" are really cores, but who knows. Also that Best Buy ad with specs I would ignore. Best Buy also ran an ad saying the keyboard was sold separately.

Coolest thing about this device is the dGPU is technically a external GPU. Imagine you stuck your iPad on a dock and the graphics hot swapped over to a discrete GPU in the dock. That's what this thing is doing. Technically, they could just sell the base by itself with dGPU refreshes.

FelixAng

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2013
Hong Kong
I'd rather get a refurbished 2015 rMBP and an iPad Pro. I get OS X and more power, and iOS and a proper tablet and save some money compared to the high end model. I think Microsoft had a great presentation and i'm pumped to see the surfacebook in a year or two.

Of course! And people comparing the price of buying mbp and iPad Pro vs a Surface Book seem to keep forgetting you have two screens with the Apple option, and two screens make heavy work a lot easier to deal with than one

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
I preordered the Book so I've been trying to find info but my guess is it's a customized 950.

Far as the 2x as powerful, I'm pretty sure it's just marketing and not hard benchmarks. Kinda like how Apple claimed the iPad Pro is faster than 80% of all laptops based solely on clock speed. The two extra chips I have no clue. Some people speculated they used a quad core and the extra "chips" are really cores, but who knows. Also that Best Buy ad with specs I would ignore. Best Buy also ran an ad saying the keyboard was sold separately.

Coolest thing about this device is the dGPU is technically a external GPU. Imagine you stuck your iPad on a dock and the graphics hot swapped over to a discrete GPU in the dock. That's what this thing is doing. Technically, they could just sell the base by itself with dGPU refreshes.
I really hope that since this is Microsoft and not Apple, they don't block the capability to hot swap the dGPU and provide full support to the previous generations. Would really help brand loyalty IMO.

Reactions: gotluck

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
This is interesting. http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2015/10/microsoft-surface-books-secret-nvidia-gpu-what-is-it/

Especially this.

"Nvidia does say that the GPU is new, and as yet unannounced, suggesting that it might be a semi-custom chip developed specifically for the Surface Book and sitting in between models in the existing line-up."

EDIT: More info I managed to find. Of interest is:

"Speaking about the GPU, we were told it is a Maxwell-based with 1GB GDDR5 memory and custom made specifically for Surface Book but so far, we still have not managed to obtain extra info regarding it. That being said, NVIDIA mentioned to us that the custom GPU can’t be compared to a traditional 900M series GPU due to the way it is implemented and designed for the device’s keyboard base."

Last edited:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
So like how Windows does Continuum? :p

Not really, continuum isn't really Windows 10. You can't use full desktop programs/legacy programs. You can't even split screen. It's basically just a blown up phone OS. Yes it's "windows 10" underneath it all, but functionally it isn't.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Would Windows 10 devices have the same integration that Apple users have with an iPhone, iPad, and MacBook?

I think so, so far in my experience there is a lot of integration. Skype, Outlook, OneDrive, OneNote, etc all sync up instantly and make sense on different devices. The only hole there is messaging, but Microsoft is supposed to release a universal messaging app very soon similar to imessage.

Reactions: TechGod and Broadus

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Just found out that the surface book has only three hours battery life in "clipboard" mode or when detached from the keyboard.
I guess I'm ordering the iPad pro.

Reactions: Apples n' Stone

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Just found out that the surface book has only three hours battery life in "clipboard" mode or when detached from the keyboard.
Its a laptop first, then a tablet. It makes perfect sense to me.

Reactions: RickTaylor

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London

They are not substitutes. One runs a desktop OS, one runs an OS designed for a mobile phone.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
That doesn't seem to make sense. If you are looking at the Surface Book but concerned about battery life in clipboard mode, why would you jump to the iPad Pro in response rather than give the Surface Pro 4 a look? The SP4 is closer in features and functionality to the SB than the iPP.

Will0827

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2008
From a personally perspective to say that the clipboard aspect only lasting three hours means a no sale is fine, but if getting the surface book for the purpose of using the screen portion for an extended period of time, why not get a SP4 instead. It is a laptop afterall and there exist the option to fold the screen back, the fact that the screen detaches is a nice bonus.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
"People kinda need to hold off being too excited for the Surface Book."

Too late! I already am.

After trying out the surface pro 3, I liked it, but felt it was too small, and wanted something closer to a laptop. Then I saw the announcement of the surface book; I've returned my surface pro and waiting for it to come out. I don't really worry if it's the fastest laptop out there or if it lives up to the hype. I'm just excited by the idea of a laptop that I can use as a drawing pad.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
They got the surface book on display at MS stores yet? I'm heading over the to the mall later and I'd love to fondle one of these. 99% sure I'm going for the SP4, but that 1% indecision still bothers me.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
They got the surface book on display at MS stores yet? I'm heading over the to the mall later and I'd love to fondle one of these. 99% sure I'm going for the SP4, but that 1% indecision still bothers me.

The Microsoft store near me only had a prototype version of the surface book. You could try it out, typing on the keyboard and getting a sense for the form factor, but it was buggy and didn't work properly.

Reactions: spinedoc77

whodatrr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2004
The discrete GPU is innovative. From what I've read, it's a custom NVIDIA unit. If that's the case, I woudn't be surprised to see more of these popping up, with other types of devices. Personally, I'd like to see one pop up in a dock, which is where I'd really need the horsepower. Think 1994 Mac Duo.. LOL

But the Surface Book isn't nearly as good of a true tablet, as the SP4. Three hours of batt life without the keyboard is a non-starter, and it's too heavy to tablet, with the KB. Still, it's a very nice step forward and a great laptop that can serve as an occasional tablet. Kudos!!!

Me, I'm sticking with my SP3. Though the SP4 is intriguing, my SP3 still does everything I need it too. I've got no problems driving two huge high res displays, and it's also a good tablet.

But the i7 version of the SP4 looks good, especially with the IRIS graphics. That will be a small powerhouse. I'm interested in seeing how it stacks up against the SB with the NVIDIA chip. It'll be behind, but maybe not by too much?

Benched08

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2014
They shortchanged the tablet portion's battery to make the entire system lighter and to make the tablet more tablet-y. If you watch the unveiling video with the x-Ray shots, there's actually a ton of empty space in the tablet portion, which looks very odd for a modern piece of technology.

Reactions: TechGod

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
They shortchanged the tablet portion's battery to make the entire system lighter and to make the tablet more tablet-y. If you watch the unveiling video with the x-Ray shots, there's actually a ton of empty space in the tablet portion, which looks very odd for a modern piece of technology.
That's a fair enough trade off in my opinion.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
exactly. My Acer Aspire Switch 11 (which is basically a poor man's version of the Surface Book) suffers a bit because the entire battery is in the tablet portion, making it a bit top heavy at some angles when connected to the keyboard. Given the pricetags for the Surface Book, I'm still impressed at what the Acer delivers for $450.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.