Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Thank you! Yesterday afternoon was one of those times when I was in the kitchen pouring myself a cup of coffee when I saw Alfred standing in the culvert. Promptly plunked the cup down on the counter and rushed to grab the camera and lens, quickly hurried out to the deck..... I got a few images of him standing on the cement of the culvert, water lapping at his feet, and then he took off, so as usual, I tracked him.

I was startled when the Red-Winged Blackbird suddenly appeared in my view on the EVF, too, above and slightly behind Alfred, and then moved into position and landed neatly on Alfred's back. I was lucky to get any shots at all as I was so mesmerized watching this unusual sight! Alfred, unfazed by his unexpected hitchhiker, simply kept on flying and after a while the Red-Winged Blackbird took off in a different direction and the two parted ways.

Apple_Glen_UK

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2015
West Sussex, England
Another shot from Beech Hurst Gardens in Haywards Heath on the weekend. This one is a ‘BR Class 411 4-CEP’.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

DanteHicks79

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2019
Silicon Valley
I looked it up and it is definitely a 750 v DC power rail. I know our subways in NYC use a third rail, but it is hard for people to access the rails. Seems awfully dangerous to me. Electric trains in the US use overhead wires with special contact systems. In fact, the tracks that were directly my house in NJ were for diesel engines until recently converted to overhead electric trains for passengers only.

View attachment 2209314
New trains and overhead power close to my former home in NJ.

Actually, in their shot it appears to be the two standards of narrow gauge rail- 3' and 2' on one set of track. This is common in a lot of narrow gauge setups. Powered rails are almost always outside of the track gauge in the US.

Matsamoto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Halmstad, Sweden
Thank you! Yesterday afternoon was one of those times when I was in the kitchen pouring myself a cup of coffee when I saw Alfred standing in the culvert. Promptly plunked the cup down on the counter and rushed to grab the camera and lens, quickly hurried out to the deck..... I got a few images of him standing on the cement of the culvert, water lapping at his feet, and then he took off, so as usual, I tracked him.

I was startled when the Red-Winged Blackbird suddenly appeared in my view on the EVF, too, above and slightly behind Alfred, and then moved into position and landed neatly on Alfred's back. I was lucky to get any shots at all as I was so mesmerized watching this unusual sight! Alfred, unfazed by his unexpected hitchhiker, simply kept on flying and after a while the Red-Winged Blackbird took off in a different direction and the two parted ways.
These are one of these moments when you have luck, patience and the camera near you.
Beautiful shot and the timing was great!

Reactions: Clix Pix

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
That’s so cool. Why would he do that?
In all the years I've been observing and photographing Alfred, or other birds in general, this is the first time I've seen one hitch a ride on another's back! I have seen smaller birds chasing an Osprey which hangs round here once in a while, and at first that is what I thought was happening here: "oh, isn't that cute, the Red-Winged Blackbird is either chasing or following Alfred!" Nope, he was looking for a ride.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.