Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Historic. Majestic. Remarkable.

🌫️ Rocky Creek Bridge
, (1932 - Historic Bridge), Highway 1 South of Carmel & North of Big Sur, Pacific Coast Highway, Central California, Carmel, California. ⚠️

1685508687082.png

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Interesting leaf I photographed at the Nyon train station a couple of weeks ago. I had to search online for the cause of the red growths I wonder if anyone here knows what they are without looking online.

View attachment 2209471
Just a follow-up I found it the red growths are called galls. This is I would guess a lime nail gall. They are caused by mites called Eriophyes tiliae.

lime nail gall

🎡 The Seattle Great Wheel 🎡

🕑 1:57 PM. 53.3 meter tall Giant Ferris Wheel. Total Height: 175 Feet. Tallest Ferris Wheel on the West Coast of the United States when it first opened in June 2012. 🎟️ Ticket Cost: $17.00 USD. 💵

⚓️ Pier 57 - ⛏️ Miners Landing on Alaskan Way. 1301 Alaskan Way. Seattle, Washington 98101. 🌲

View attachment 2209071
Did you ride on it?
Yes sir! I sure did. Must do and it was on my bucket list. 🙃

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Another when on boat ride from Woolwich to Westminster last Monday
View attachment 2209996
complete with not so hidden message

Neat photo, wonderful scenic vista! Love the framing of everything! Actually, there is more than one message in this image..... Something instantly caught my attention -- the gentleman standing there gazing out at the view is wearing something which looks very familiar to me, as I have two of them. He's using a bone-anchored sound processor (BAHA), the little brown tear-shaped thingy on his head above his right ear. The BAHA snaps into place on a titanium metal piece called the abutment; no wires, ho headbands needed. The sound is received by the external sound processor and is conducted through the titanium abutment, which in turn is connected to a tiny titanium screw implanted in the mastoid process, and the wearer's cochlea takes things from there.

Using a process similar to tooth implantations, utilizing osseointegration, back in the early 1980's Swedish researchers and physicians in Gothenburg collaborated in the development of the first dedicated bone conduction sound processor. This, specifically meant to benefit patients with conductive hearing loss, was a huge step forward from the usual process of fitting them with body aids and headbands or modified behind-the-ear standard hearing aids. Through the years the external devices have become smaller or differently shaped and they have become digital, like most hearing aids today, offering opportunities that never could have been imagined back in the old days when there were few options in hearing aids.

It's cool to see a BAHA out there in the wild, so to speak -- there aren't a lot of us who are candidates for this particular device so I don't often see someone else wearing a single or bilateral BAHA(s). Women's hair often conceals their sound processors.

Oh -- before anyone asks, this is not the same as a cochlear implant, which is meant for people with profound hearing loss caused by other types of hearing loss. Conductive hearing loss is usually due to atresia/microtia, acoustic neuroma, or recurrent ear infections related to excessive sticky fluid in the ear ("glue ear"). Traditional hearing aids are not effective in these situations. Those of us who can benefit from the BAHA are very grateful for this technology.

Last edited:

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
Wonton day at Rob's house. My wife is from Shanghai, China and makes the best wonton. I look forward to this family activity. Fun and Yummy!

Sunday. May 28, 2023 - iPhone 13PM
View attachment 2210048
Normally I am absolutely no fan of "this is what I had for breakfast/lunch/dinner" or most food photos but this one has some real artistic appeal. I Like it.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Another surprise yesterday when I spotted pair of geese on our pier; usually they waddle around our grounds and occasionally on the boardwalk but don't venture out on the pier. When I looked closer, I saw that there were four wee goslings sheltering under their mother! Second group of goslings we've had here this spring.

Anyway, I delightedly began shooting photos of them and then some geese who were swimming under the pier started honking and raising a fuss, so Papa Goose, protecting his brood, wasted no time in getting into the water to do battle. At first Mummy stayed with her wee ones, but then she, too, went into the water and joined the fray. The four little goslings were all on their own on the pier, which is fairly high above the water. They can't fly yet; their wings are still too small. Suddenly one boldly jumped off, then a second. The two remaining ones spent some time anxiously peering over the edge of the pier before finally this brave little guy decided to go for it and as his brother and I watched with concern, took a leap of faith:

Between Pier and Water.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.