Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Susurs

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
E7936BA1-AD4D-4EC3-9D6F-17CE85851C8A.jpeg

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
Taken at the New York Botanical Garden Chrysanthemum Show last week ...

View attachment 877142

6D2 , 24-70 f4@70 , f 9 @ 1/80 , ISO 400
Quite a few photographers on this site taking photos of flowers and/or historical site. If you are not aware of it there are three "reciprocal" programs where if you have membership in a place, such as the New York Botanical Gardens, as they are a member of AHS (American Horticultural Society) your membership entitles you to free general admission at over 300 other member organizations - with few restrictions, like special events and 90 mile restriction if not waived - like my photo today and the past few days at Bok Tower which I entered through my Leu Gardens membership (which was cheaper). While there are over 300 nationwide, locally (50 mile radius), I have 4 plus 2 others that enforce the 90 mile exclusion (I don't qualify but tourist with membership at their home do) and 38 statewide as I travel around the State. There are similar programs that focus on museums and natural history with over 1000 member organizations nationwide that rarely overlap with the Horticultural, but may between themselves so join a museum that recognizes both. They are NARM (North American Reciprocal Museum Association) and ROAM (Reciprocal Organization of Associated Museums). Each program has a website that list member sites as well as any restrictions/exclusions that may apply at a specific location.

Todays POTD is the children's educational center (playground) which was a recent addition to Bok Tower. The wooded area to the rear has additional stations on various themes - music, book, chalk drawing, elastic spider web to climb on, etc plus a hammock for tired parents.
Bok Tower 10-2019-2400px-8.jpg

Last edited:

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Quite a few photographers on this site taking photos of flowers and/or historical site. If you are not aware of it there are three "reciprocal" programs where if you have membership in a place, such as the New York Botanical Gardens, as they are a member of AHS (American Horticultural Society) your membership entitles you to free general admission at over 300 other member organizations - with few restrictions, like special events and 90 mile restriction if not waived - like my photo today and the past few days at Bok Tower which I entered through my Leu Gardens membership (which was cheaper). While there are over 300 nationwide, locally (50 mile radius), I have 4 plus 2 others that enforce the 90 mile exclusion (I don't qualify but tourist with membership at their home do) and 38 statewide as I travel around the State. There are similar programs that focus on museums and natural history with over 1000 member organizations nationwide that rarely overlap with the Horticultural, but may between themselves so join a museum that recognizes both. They are NARM (North American Reciprocal Museum Association) and ROAM (Reciprocal Organization of Associated Museums). Each program has a website that list member sites as well as any restrictions/exclusions that may apply at a specific location.

Todays POTD is the children's educational center (playground) which was a recent addition to Bok Tower. The wooded area to the rear has additional stations on various themes - music, book, chalk drawing, elastic spider web to climb on, etc plus a hammock for tired parents.
View attachment 877247
Thanks for reminding folks of the reciprocal agreements between Botanical Gardens . I've used my NYBG card a few times
while traveling to get into local gardens .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.