Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

aggie99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2016
Dallas, TX
The camera always brings me back to the Pixel 4XL. Sold the S20+ this week and going to roll with the 4XL and iPhone 11 Pro Max till the next iPhone and Pixel releases.
95906b3463f7dd0eb8ff297163351a37.jpg
46b0dac79210da4d08da925b1ed8cdcd.jpg
f5caf390bf23ffa656b950aadf6cc814.jpg

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Pictures taken a year ago, between today and tomorrow (May 3 and May 4). If I posted these before, apologies. I seem to recall sharing them but didn't see them in this thread in that timeframe. All taken with my Pixel 2 XL.

First one is taken on a cruise ship, while in port in Vancouver overnight.
Second is the "cauldron" for the Olympic flame in 2010
Third is Shannon Falls along the Whistler Highway.
Fourth is from the platform/lodge at the top of the Sea to Sky Gondola.

Attachments

• IMG_20190503_205537.jpg
    IMG_20190503_205537.jpg
    507.9 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20190504_072006.jpg
    IMG_20190504_072006.jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_20190504_115527.jpg
    IMG_20190504_115527.jpg
    696.3 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20190504_125731.jpg
    IMG_20190504_125731.jpg
    414.1 KB · Views: 104

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I actually use all 3 but the 11 pro max is my daily driver then the Pixel 4xl then the S20 plus

I thought I liked phones. Haha. I still limit myself to only one at a time. So currently trying to decide whether I'll keep the s20 plus or the Pixel 4 XL. Everything about the specs and hardware and common sense say s20 but there's something about that Pixel user experience I can't shake.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
I thought I liked phones. Haha. I still limit myself to only one at a time. So currently trying to decide whether I'll keep the s20 plus or the Pixel 4 XL. Everything about the specs and hardware and common sense say s20 but there's something about that Pixel user experience I can't shake.
I am in the same space right now. I use the Pixel 4XL and it is my fav Android....until I use the S20 then I have new fav lol

Then I am not sure how the Pixel 5 will fare with a mid range processor to be honest. So if I sell the P4XL now will I regret it later?

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
I am in the same space right now. I use the Pixel 4XL and it is my fav Android....until I use the S20 then I have new fav lol

Then I am not sure how the Pixel 5 will fare with a mid range processor to be honest. So if I sell the P4XL now will I regret it later?

I get it. I've switched my sim card between the Pixel 4 xl and the s20 plus about 10 times over the past couple of weeks. I honestly don't know which one I like more. Currently I'm leaning more towards the pixel even though I know it's a worse device. I have a newborn at home and making sure I get good pictures is more important to me now than ever. But that said, the s20 camera is still really good, it just has considerable shutter lag.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
I get it. I've switched my sim card between the Pixel 4 xl and the s20 plus about 10 times over the past couple of weeks. I honestly don't know which one I like more. Currently I'm leaning more towards the pixel even though I know it's a worse device. I have a newborn at home and making sure I get good pictures is more important to me now than ever. But that said, the s20 camera is still really good, it just has considerable shutter lag.
Congrats on the newborn!! Getting any sleep? :) Lol

The S20 does have some hardware advantages over the Pixel. But then Pixel is just so buttery smooth and has FaceUnlock.
Love the zoom on the S20. Love the overall size of the S20 plus more than the Pixel 4 XL though. But love the notifications and the blending of the hardware and software on the P4XL

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Congrats on the newborn!! Getting any sleep? :) Lol

The S20 does have some hardware advantages over the Pixel. But then Pixel is just so buttery smooth and has FaceUnlock.
Love the zoom on the S20. Love the overall size of the S20 plus more than the Pixel 4 XL though. But love the notifications and the blending of the hardware and software on the P4XL

I'm getting very little sleep but that was to be expected. Going from 1 to 2 kids is probably rougher than going from 0 to 1.

Yeah the hardware on the s20 plus may be my favorite of any device ever. The only downside I can find is the lack of 120hz at QHD. I actually like the ergonomics of the pixel but the s20 just feels so much more premium and is crazy thin.

But the Pixel just nails the software and face unlock is easily the best biometric on any phone in my opinion. It's faster and more reliable than FaceID IMO.

I'll probably end up keeping the s20 plus even though I like using the Pixel a bit more because it's has better hardware and will have better resale come fall when I upgrade again. But man, Google keeps coming close to making an excellent phone and just falls a little short each time. It bums me out.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012

Listen to the May 3 AndroidCentral Podcast. We've become conditioned to believe that if it's not the high-end platform (Qualcomm's name for their chipsets) it's not good for a "flagship" device. Quite the contrary, it seems even the chip projected to be in the Pixel 5 will be more than capable. The current high-end platform is closer to a laptop processor than a cell phone one, and Samsung is a good fit for a processor/platform like that with DeX, but for use as just a cell phone the Snapdragon 765 should be fine.

Everyone fixates on getting the highest scores on benchmarks, but how does it perform for regular use? Probably fine, and you would see minimal difference in real-world speed.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Listen to the May 3 AndroidCentral Podcast. We've become conditioned to believe that if it's not the high-end platform (Qualcomm's name for their chipsets) it's not good for a "flagship" device. Quite the contrary, it seems even the chip projected to be in the Pixel 5 will be more than capable. The current high-end platform is closer to a laptop processor than a cell phone one, and Samsung is a good fit for a processor/platform like that with DeX, but for use as just a cell phone the Snapdragon 765 should be fine.

Everyone fixates on getting the highest scores on benchmarks, but how does it perform for regular use? Probably fine, and you would see minimal difference in real-world speed.

I'm totally fine with the next Pixel using a mid-range chip....as long as they offset that downgrade with a much bigger battery and most importantly, drop the price $200-300.

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg

I can attest to this. My daily right now is a 2009 MacBook. It is eleven years old but is still perfectly functional for what I need it for, which is primarily web browsing, light gaming, and things I can't easily do on my PPC machines. It would get abysmal scores if I benchmarked it relative to modern systems, but it serves just fine for my uses and that's really what matters the most (for me at least). :)

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I'm totally fine with the next Pixel using a mid-range chip....as long as they offset that downgrade with a much bigger battery and most importantly, drop the price $200-300.

That depends on the price Qualcomm wants for the chip. One thing that's been noted - 5G platforms have seen a huge price increase over their 4G counterparts. Is it because of the cost of R&D for them? Actual production cost? Plain greed by Qualcomm because people "have to have 5G"? Nobody really knows, though I'd place money on greed by Qualcomm. Based on that - because of the price increase of the S20 over the S10 I'd say a stable price for the Pixel 5 from the Pixel 4 would end up being about right. I'm probably buying a 5 or 5 XL anyway, my Pixel 2 XL will be getting on in age by then and will be the longest I've continued to use a device as my daily driver.

Anyway.. back to the pictures, the actual topic of this thread...

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US

Not everyone fixates on this. I could not care less about benchmarks.I hate speed tests comparisons and the like.
I could care less whether it uses a processor powerful enough laptop lol. I don't care about specs.

I care more about user experience more than anything. But if there are any hesitations going to into camera app or watching videos or any lag at all it will kill the Pixel brand name. Android over all has had a lag reputation in the past. If there is any lag on the Pixel 5 because they used a mid range processor...it will kill the Pixel brand image as a whole.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Been learning how to bake bread since I’m stuck at home. Here are a few samples. Not great shots—wanted to test how well the iPhone 11 Pro Max does with portrait mode. Decent results but still struggles on occasion defining the focus subject.

A1392770-55CF-4163-90BB-0199275CBD35.jpeg
168603BD-88EF-4AC9-9679-0104E1C6597E.jpeg
9CE46C19-4CA4-430C-8989-48E42709768A.jpeg
[automerge]1589590509[/automerge]
My pups having a really tough, tiring day. ;)

Taken with a Pixel 4 XL.

C0F2FA51-0A35-4595-84F6-B99D86CB98EE.jpeg

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
Been learning how to bake bread since I’m stuck at home. Here are a few samples. Not great shots—wanted to test how well the iPhone 11 Pro Max does with portrait mode. Decent results but still struggles on occasion defining the focus subject.

View attachment 915426
View attachment 915521
View attachment 915522
[automerge]1589590509[/automerge]
My pups having a really tough, tiring day. ;)

Taken with a Pixel 4 XL.

View attachment 915525
Nice pics....looks delicious!

Reactions: tbayrgs
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.