Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Winter now? what country do you live in?
Cool, I used to fly RC helicopters 10 years ago, sold my gear, thinking about getting back into the hobby possibly.

A few pics of my bikes...
Multi-modal commuter, rc helicopters hauler:
kAWCnK8.jpg

Heavy Fluid

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2008
JE0EDYU.jpg

Felt TK2 58cm - OEM carbon post/fork.
Pretty stock in the picture.

Now has red American Classic 420 track wheels
Deda 90mm stem
Zipp Vuka Bullhorns
Specialized Phenom 143
FSA carbon cranks 49:15

I should get a picture of that setup and post it.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Just got this fix gear bike. Will take a real ic of it latter and post. Not the most expensive but a great budget bike.
37232_1024x1024.jpg

Jomppa

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2012
Kona Dew Plus matte black with sks mudguards.

Attachments

• Enlight1.jpg
    Enlight1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 306

Heavy Fluid

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2008
Did a drive train overhaul yesterday and added new bars and replaced the old Gatorskins with some brand spanking new replacements.

JVa07yf.jpg

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
I might get some crap from the purists around here, however, my last bike was stolen, so I moved my plan to buy an electric bike up by about 3 months. I wouldn't have bought it except it is now my main form of transportation and Raleigh is extremely hilly, and starting next year (wow 2017 is only 2 months away) i'm going to be going up some major hills.

Presenting my Cannondale Kinneto:
IMG_56669.jpg

Last edited:

TheDoubler55

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2011
My daily driver... upgrading it step-by-step :)
Please help, whats with the big tires on bikes now? I went to a bike shop the other day and there were so many bikes with these huge tires. I am a little perplexed, and I didn't ask anyone. Thanks in advance.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
I might get some crap from the purists around here, however, my last bike was stolen, so I moved my plan to buy an electric bike up by about 3 months. I wouldn't have bought it except it is now my main form of transportation and Raleigh is extremely hilly, and starting next year (wow 2017 is only 2 months away) i'm going to be going up some major hills.

Presenting my Cannondale Kinneto:
View attachment 669724

A commuting cyclist for over 50 years, I wanted to check out the electric power assisted bicycle concept, so rented this one when I was in Hua Hin, Thailand, a couple of years ago. Nothing fancy, just a single speed regular commuter style bike, with the battery and electric motor added. It had a range of about 50 km (30 miles) under electric power alone, using the boost button. When peddling the amount of assistance varied depending on the terrain and effort put in. Perfect for a day of exploring within about ten or a dozen km from where I was staying.

Electric Bike1.jpg

After using it for a day my feelings were mixed. In the end, from my point of view, while there were some benefits and a novelty fun aspect to it, overall the electrically assisted bicycle was a solution in search of a problem.

Over regular, flat to undulating terrain it was easy get along at regular cycling speeds with very little effort. Around town it was easy to keep up with other traffic. The boost button made for a fast get away and up to cruising speed. Nice, but did it do it better than my regular commuter (similarly equipped to carry a load with a basket and carrier)?

My deadly treadly at Bangwad Dam.jpg

Other than less sweat, not really. As a practical means of getting around carrying a bit of stuff, they were about equal. Where I live at present, electric assistance would offer no significant benefit.

Benefit accrued, however, as load size increased and terrain got steeper. This is about as I could practically manage on the bike when pedalling with electric boost.

Electric Bike2.jpg

However, pushing the bike on up with assistance from the boost made reaching the top of the hill a doodle. If my regular commute and getting around involved quite hilly terrain, an electrically assisted bike would defiantly be favourite.

Electric Bike3.jpg

For recreation, it depends.

Heading off somewhere carrying a bit of stuff for a picnic, fishing, taking photos or whatever, an electrically assisted bike could be nice, especially if there was some hilly terrain involved. However, if the joy of cycling, or going hard for exercise were the main objectives, the weight of the bike would make for a less enjoyable experience.

Last edited:

cyclocommuter

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2016
Winter now? what country do you live in?
Cool, I used to fly RC helicopters 10 years ago, sold my gear, thinking about getting back into the hobby possibly.

I am from Canada... I love anything bicycles and anything rc. You should get back to flying helis... Technology has changed and gyros and flybars of around 10 years ago have given way to flybarless systems around 5 years ago. This change meant the helicopters of today are more agile and maneuverable and even the smaller ones (450 class with 315mm to 360mm blades) can handle flying in strong winds better.

Another pic of my heli hauler with its cargo unloaded at the local park:

NmcnaFs.jpg

Washing salt and grime off my commuter with the help of neighborhood cats :) This time of the year I have studded tires on it.

Xxzrmyi.jpg

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Please help, whats with the big tires on bikes now? I went to a bike shop the other day and there were so many bikes with these huge tires. I am a little perplexed, and I didn't ask anyone. Thanks in advance.

Mountain bikes seem to be all the rage nowadays. However, the thicker tires can make it a lot harder to pedal.

In cities, the thin tires may not be able to cushion well with potholes & other road obstacles.

My current bike is more in a "cyclocross" style, I regularly use it with 700 x 30 tires. Not so thick that it is hard to pedal, but thick enough to not have to worry about uneven pavement on the city/town streets (which are in an awful condition).

Reactions: TheDoubler55
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.