Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

achappy

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2017
I didn’t say destroy, I said better.

Over the XR it won’t, but the XR was better than the X. You may not be able to see the differences but they’re certainly there. Zoom into areas in the corner of a photo and you’ll notice it has better detail, better facial detail. Also it won’t blow out colours and just deliver a more rounded quality photo.

If you compare HDR off on all the devices then yes the difference won’t be much, but your meant to have it turned on that’s the point.

No you didn’t but my original post was to someone who did.

And I’m not comparing HDR off. I’m comparing manually choosing HDR on the iPhone X to the SmartHDR of later generations. Later generation phones are very aggressive in their auto HDR processing. Now of course the normal user won’t know this and will just compare out of the box. In lower light the XR is better than the X no question.

Reactions: v3rtex and _karrol

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
It's Dunkin Happy Hour right now... $2 for medium iced latte and cappuccino

I run on Dunkin these days

Attachments

• IMG_0039.jpg
    IMG_0039.jpg
    418.9 KB · Views: 290

JSRinUK

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2018
Greater London, UK
If you don't mind a photo of me, I took a snapshot with the front camera while playing with my dog - mainly just to see how the portrait mode would work with her in the photo.

Not super-perfect (part of my glasses disappeared), but I liked that it kept my dog in focus.

(Photo resized to 50% before uploading.)

IMG_9309 half-size copy.jpeg

I did post elsewhere, but it makes sense to add the photo to this thread.

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
I wish I was comfortable putting pictures of my kids on here. My wife has an 11, and I had an 11 Pro for a stint. The 11 and 11 Pro do a tad more sharpening which help them look better in a lot of situations. But I've been blown away by how good this camera is otherwise. I've already gotten some incredible shots of my kids' faces in good lighting. I will say, doing portrait mode when taking photos of faces in good light seems to help - something about the computational magic just makes the faces come out very very well.

Low light shots are worse than the 11/11 Pro, but still a step up from the 8 and on par with the Xr. But shots in good light are, IMHO, on par, or pretty darn close, to the 11/11 Pro.

Reactions: oVerboost

oldcelt

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2011
UK
Hi. Are there any links to guide for SE camera use for newbie? Basic stuff on zoom controls etc. Thanks!

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
OK, so...I saw this article this morning:

Anandtech iPhone SE Retested

TLDR version: Anandtech's initial review panned the new SE's camera; they felt it took poor photos. Apple took a look and agreed, and shipped Anandtech a new SE, and they retested and found the same thing everyone else found: a really good camera.

So, assuming that they had a defective unit, as they opine in the piece it's unlikely that just one unit was defective. Perhaps it was just one batch, but it was unlikely to be just one phone. Now I'm wondering if mine was really all that better than my previous SE's. When I tested them against each other the day my new one arrived, the lighting conditions were PERFECT: bright sunny day, and lots of good indirect light inside. I only took a couple of photos; they were almost identical, and I just chalked it up to it being such a good day that ANY camera would nail it.

I have since passed along my old SE to another user, but it occurred to me that my partner still had HER old SE. She would not be worried about ANY of this, so I appreciate that she didn't roll her eyes as I asked to borrow her phone for a camera test. Today's lighting is a lot less bright: it's completely overcast, the indoor light today is significantly dimmer. I went around taking various photos with both cameras.

The challenge is, I don't know HOW MUCH BETTER I should expect the new SE photos to be. I know how much better my DSLR was than my old SE; should the new SE be closer to that, or closer to the old SE? What should I be looking at? Here is what I found (again, based on my own judgement, which may be less fine-tuned than others'!):

--The color seemed better, less muddy, on the new camera.
--The new camera did a much better job of pulling detail out of a backlit background.
--When I zoomed in, and looked very closely, the sharpness of the photos looked VERY VERY CLOSE. In fact, if you told me that, throwing out other aspects, the sharpness was exactly the same between cameras I wouldn't dispute it. BUT...you don't generally look at photos like that, and when you DO add back in the other aspects, the photos at a more casual look do appear sharper because the muddiness of the colors is much less.

That was what I saw when looking at it on my phone screen (the new SE's screen). It was clear that there was improvement, but I still didn't know whether it was as much improvement as I should have expected.

Then all the photos made it up to iCloud Photo Library, and back down to my Mac. And now I don't wonder at all. The new photos were CLEARLY, at a glance, better than the older ones. More detail pulled out of darker areas, better color. The sharpness is still similar when zoomed down to look at elements really close up...but the better color detail just brings it all into much better focus.

I am so relieved.

EDIT: I added three images: one (unmarked) from the old SE, one from the 2020 SE, and one from my old 3GS (hehe). I had another image that was a more striking difference, but looking at them I fear that perhaps I focused (or, more to the point, light-metered) on different locations. I don't THINK I did, but i FEAR I did, so I think it would not have been a fair comparison. Anyway, the example I attached should give you a fair idea. No editing done, except to add the text.

Attachments

• 128ACD52-C15E-468E-BA15-288B8F1B7C47.jpeg
    128ACD52-C15E-468E-BA15-288B8F1B7C47.jpeg
    391.4 KB · Views: 291
  • 29DE4CC8-BD43-46EC-9005-7ED58AB20EAC.jpeg
    29DE4CC8-BD43-46EC-9005-7ED58AB20EAC.jpeg
    400 KB · Views: 273
  • 17318A1D-2F8F-47DF-859F-AB24CC849C45.jpeg
    17318A1D-2F8F-47DF-859F-AB24CC849C45.jpeg
    497.5 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
That’s great to hear. I really want a SE to replace my 3 year old 7, but I’m trying to hold off for the rumored 5.4” 12. We’ll see if I can resist...

This is what I was gonna do, but decided... the SE is so cheap that by the time the 5.4” 12 comes out I will still be able to upgrade to that phone as well. This SE is a great phone. This is coming from a person that has had iPhone X, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XS and iPhone XR(as well as the iPhone 7 and 8). My most recent iPhone I had been using Was the iPhone 7. Point being, I’ve had the flagships of the last couple years and this iPhone SE is still a great device.

I’ve seen people say ... I can just buy a used XR for just a little more money. Why sacrifice performance though? Pay more for lesser CPU?

Reactions: NickName99

NickName99

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2018
This is what I was gonna do, but decided... the SE is so cheap that by the time the 5.4” 12 comes out I will still be able to upgrade to that phone as well. This SE is a great phone. This is coming from a person that has had iPhone X, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XS and iPhone XR(as well as the iPhone 7 and 8). My most recent iPhone I had been using Was the iPhone 7. Point being, I’ve had the flagships of the last couple years and this iPhone SE is still a great device.

I’ve seen people say ... I can just buy a used XR for just a little more money. Why sacrifice performance though? Pay more for lesser CPU?

I feel very similarly, I bought an SE2 and I’m loving it. I had an iPhone XS before, I traded it in to go with something smaller. I’m really enjoying Touch ID!

I might pick up a 5.4” iPhone 12 if they ship later this year.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Did you use a tripod or just handheld iPhone photo using Neuralcam?

Quick comparison of the stock camera in low light and using NeuralCam app in the same lighting. Pretty impressed as it adds more to the already decent camera setup...

09bf2de6a56c0d25fe49256ca0cf8bd3.jpg

ab4bfae33228187d8bb1478724b0c8e8.jpg

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
A couple more portrait photos of non-people using Halide...
[automerge]1588862642[/automerge]
Did you use a tripod or just handheld iPhone photo using Neuralcam?

That was handheld, they have also updated the app for support for the new SE as of yesterday.

Attachments

• CC94E7CC-EBC3-4B04-A10D-0F50E100720E.jpg
    CC94E7CC-EBC3-4B04-A10D-0F50E100720E.jpg
    455 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_2919.jpg
    IMG_2919.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 219
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.